Management Jim Montgomery

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
All coaches have their expiration date. I'd say Cassidy is more of a player's coach than an X's and O's/system coach like Claude Julien. Maybe Cassidy was right about some of the players on this team.
In hindsight I feel like Julien was more of a players coach then he was given credit for, at least in Boston. Yes his defensive schemes are his bread and butter, but the team loved him and they all carried the same agenda. Only the media really had issues with him because the style wasn’t exciting enough.

Reactions: GordonHowe and zaYG

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
to this point my biggest knock on montgomery is the use of forbort this series.

unless wotherspoon really needed a breather I DONT GET IT

this might sound like an overreaction but that's his first official strike in my book - forbort doesnt pass the eye test or analytic test, has been fairly slow, not effective at moving the puck at all, and hadnt played against nhl competition is over a month. inexcusable decision.

I get the criticism for playing Forbort over Spoon in game 3. Very fair criticism.

But he was very solid in game 1, and honestly Monty had no real choice, because Gryz/Shatty are unplayable in games like this

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Before this playoff run I would have been pissed if they replaced Monty but now I'm more firmly 50/50.

Some of the player decisions were extremely perplexing - Forbort personally led to goals against all year and then Montgomery went back to that well in the playoffs and got the same result. Keeping Maroon AND JVR over Lauko when both were behind the play all series is tough. Size was helpful but both on the same line in a deciding game was real tough.

The line jumbling has ran its course with me - I'm sure Bruins fans are hyper critical of it bc its the local team etc but how are you going to change up the lines all year and get to the playoffs with combinations that have never played together before. What is the point of the jumbling if you don't know every option and use it as an advantage.

Part of this is on the roster construction but I'd give Sweeney a pass as this was a recovery year after last season - the dead money and lack of options in trades are part of going alllllll tf in.

BUT

Boston needs to bring a vet who is a leader but selfish next season bc another year of overpassing just to get it to pasta isn't going to be my favorite thing to watch again. Maybe Monty could step up and shut that down during the season but IDK

Boston was lucky to make it this far but the result was a bummer bc they actually had the talent to make some noise and the way they came up short feels a little more like a let down than i anticipated.

Reactions: KWbruin

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If brindamour becomes available I make the move. Otherwise as mad as I am at Monty and as little faith I have in him to not f*** up the playoffs, what are you going to do, bring in David Quinn?

Reactions: Mad Dr Pepper

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Montgomery is not getting fired after pushing a better team to 6 games in round 2. There are two criticisms I would provide though.

1. Dumb team. Maybe you can say that's on players but coach has to share blame.

2. I absolutely despise the way this team plays defense. Way too passive and give the opponent too much room. Maybe it's an organizational philosophy but whatever system it is there's no way it's being executed successfully.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Monty got more out of this team then many expected. Team couldn't get it done with Bruce.... who went on to coach VGK to a cup in his first year away from Boston. Now they can't get it done with Monty. Maybe the coach isn't the problem

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Got this club further than they deserved to be this year.
I don't get this line of thinking tbh. Is the team good or not? If they aren't then who's fault is it? They won a round vs a Toronto team that didn't have their best players for half the games. I read bridge year a lot. Bridge to what? Championships?

edit: also don't mean to take my frustration out on you @Over the volcano

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If brindamour becomes available I make the move. Otherwise as mad as I am at Monty and as little faith I have in him to not f*** up the playoffs, what are you going to do, bring in David Quinn?

What has Brindy accomplished in the playoffs that makes him so great? In his 6 years with CAR they've made it past the 2nd round all of 2 times.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
I didn't expect the B's to be a threat to win the cup this year, but I think Monty's constant tinkering with the lines night in and night out hindered the team from developing needed chemistry. More importantly, we now hold the record for most too many men penalties in the playoffs. That is not a sign of good coaching. Don't know if he will be back but I won't mind if he isn't. We've already seen him guide the team with the best regular season record in history to a first round implosion. I wouldn't want to see it again after Sweeney makes some offseason moves to improve the team.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He did his best with with Sweeney and company gave him. Not a single 2nd or 1st line C and no 1st or second line talent outside of one guy in Pastrnak.

This was a team of 3rd liners on cheap deals where a GM had bet poorly in the past and was handcuffed.

I keep hearing about how good this GM is, but now I'd actually like to see what Monty can do with talent.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
After 95 games this season I still have no idea what their d-zone breakout is. And it's not just a Florida thing, they couldn't get up the ice vs TOR and were one bounce away from losing.

And yeah, wasn't a great roster this season but I found the lack of adjustment concerning. Lohrei's freestyle play saved the coaching staff from looking a lot worse.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good season from the coach and they did well to not quit against a better team despite some awful calls. If Julien survived 2010 collapse Monty should be fine.

If you want to say next year is finals or bust that is ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad