Management Jim Montgomery

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Great post, all I have to add though is that if the Bruins were to somehow come back and beat the panther's I couldn't care less what happens after that. Coming back down 3-1 after last year and the way this series has gone would be like a cup win for me

Thanks! I feel the same way as you do. Upset this dirt-bag Panther team and anything after that is gravy.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Thanks! I feel the same way as you do. Upset this dirt-bag Panther team and anything after that is gravy.

it's funny because I initially felt that way about the leaf's series/didnt feel any intense animosity towards florida or a need to win, but after the Panther's started their greasy bullshit and the refs gave them favorable calls, pasta got sucker punched with his head on the ice, and Marchand was concussed, I feel nothing but a boiling rage for south florida

Reactions: BruinDust

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
According to Sportsnet, the Bruins play zone defense.

I think it's a symptom of Florida's shoot-from-everywhere game plan. The bounces, rebounds, loose pucks, etc. pull Bruins out of position and the longer Florida remains in the zone, the more and more out of position the Bruins are.

I do find it interesting that there are only two teams listed here who play man-to-man, NYR and Carolina. The Bruins are a combined 1-5 vs. them this season and the last time the Bruins played the Rangers, their man-to-man D smothered the Bruin players. If the Bruins find a way to pull this series out of a hat, it doesn't bode well that the one of the two teams who play man-to-man will be waiting for them. Although the article does point out that some GMs believe it's very difficult to win a cup with a man-to-man defensive system as it requires a lot of energy and less positioning. Meanwhile, a well-executed zone is considered the hardest to beat.
I always hated "pure" man on man in your D zone simply because you need to trust each man to cover their guy. If the other team is quicker or just one player is better (McDavid) then it's hard to make it work since you're always scrambling to recover after one guy gets beat.

I also don't like D chasing "their guy" out to the blue line and having wings chase their guy behind the net so everyone is in unfamiliar places for a breakout if you do get the puck.

Funny but true story D1 University years ago the best defenseman on his team was playing man on man coverage. The other coach, being smart, told his forward to skate in the neutral zone when the D locked on to him. So there was this skilled D chasing his guy around the neutral zone and the coach essentially took the best player on the ice out of his defensive zone while they were attacking. It was comical. Zones and hybrids like Boston plays avoid that.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
it's funny because I initially felt that way about the leaf's series/didnt feel any intense animosity towards florida or a need to win, but after the Panther's started their greasy bullshit and the refs gave them favorable calls, pasta got sucker punched with his head on the ice, and Marchand was concussed, I feel nothing but a boiling rage for south florida

When I see the Panthers now, I just see Bleu, blanc, et rouge. That's how I feel about them right now. Dirt-bags and still getting favorable calls from the refs.

You knew the fix was in early in Game 2 when Tkachuk took an intentional whack at Swayman, Brazeau wraps his arms around Tkachuk and Brazeau gets called for a penalty.

Reactions: Hookslide

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I always hated "pure" man on man in your D zone simply because you need to trust each man to cover their guy. If the other team is quicker or just one player is better (McDavid) then it's hard to make it work since you're always scrambling to recover after one guy gets beat.

I also don't like D chasing "their guy" out to the blue line and having wings chase their guy behind the net so everyone is in unfamiliar places for a breakout if you do get the puck.

Funny but true story D1 University years ago the best defenseman on his team was playing man on man coverage. The other coach, being smart, told his forward to skate in the neutral zone when the D locked on to him. So there was this skilled D chasing his guy around the neutral zone and the coach essentially took the best player on the ice out of his defensive zone while they were attacking. It was comical. Zones and hybrids like the Boston plays avoid that.

Great story. pretty smart of the coach to pick up on that and find a way to exploit it.

Zone keeps the defending team in the right positions majority of the time. You look at a guy like Peeke, he'll excel in zone because of the simplicity and repeatability of it. Bigger guy now he doesn't need to run around and shift off other Bruin defenders. Just control your part of the ice. Don't overcommit.

The key to zone for me is the centers. Your centers have to be capable, more than capable, without the puck in their own zone. Just looking at that chart in the article, the Bruins are near the bottom. The biggest difference to me between this year's team and last year's team is their capability down the middle defensively. No 37 or 46. No reliable 4th line C. In zone schemes, the centers stir the drink in the defensive zone and can make a good zone scheme into a great one. In the offensive zone its really F1/F2/F3 now. After the offensive zone face-off it really doesn't matter. But from your own blue-line back, it absolutely does matter.

Reactions: mjhfb and 4ORRBRUIN

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
We are sometimes guilty of embellishing this. But it seems to be Florida's MO to do it every chance possible.

Shame on the refs for rewarding this behavior.
There was a similar play early in the first period when a Bruin was interfered and no call was made, refs are creating problems with their inconsistent calls. Monty should be complaining about embellishment calls not being called against Florida, at least give them something to think about.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
one of Monty’s biggest faults is the constant line juggeling. If you look at the other teams current playing they were playing together almost all season.

Boston has 1 line with over 200 mins played together. Your not going to develop any chemistry this way.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
one of Monty’s biggest faults is the constant line juggeling. If you look at the other teams current playing they were playing together almost all season.

Boston has 1 line with over 200 mins played together. Your not going to develop any chemistry this way.

The chemistry is distributed throughout the team :sarcasm: you can do that when you have a second line, two third lines, and a fourth. Just look at how well they sustain pressure in the offensive zone. 🙄 you would think they would only get a shot off on a random break in.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Scrolling down to 104th to see Zacha and Pasta is sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad