Player Discussion Jakob Chychrun (D)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Watched that biz episode with chychrun. I think he's going to be another amazing personality in the room. Seems like an awesome dude.
Stumbled across that a while ago as well, he seems like a solid dude with great parents.

Roadtrippin with Biz ft Chychrun if anybody is interested.

edit: the link is a few posts up

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Too bad they couldn’t get AZ to throw in Bjugstad…. Would you trade Thomson for him?
I honestly don't know. I havent seen enough of bjugstad and dont know what his contract looks like, but yeah probably.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
There's a legitimate family connection to Ottawa for Chychrun. That will be huge if he gels with the core when it's time to re-sign.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Friends with tkachuk right?
The boys have got to be pumped right up over this.
Keep it rolling.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Man, Chychrun is going to be amazing for you guys. He's been great carrying not only his pairing, but often the whole damn 5 man unit in AZ. He's significantly better than he's given credit for. This is going to be a trade you look back on every few months and go "how in the hell did we get him for THAT little". His defense is insanely underrated, he covers a stupid amount of ice and often has to cover for other's f*** ups. Obviously he's got great shot and offensive game overall.

I'm glad he went somewhere I don't hate too. Ottawa has always seemed like Coyotes North, with all the bullshit that gets sent your way. Selfishly I hope you guys finish 6th from the bottom this season, but next year I'd love to see Chychrun lift the cup with you guys.
Nay buddy, you want us to get you that 2nd 1st rounder!

#fortheyotes

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
There's a legitimate family connection to Ottawa for Chychrun. That will be huge if he gels with the core when it's time to re-sign.

His Grandpa and sister will be at the game on Saturday night.

The good vibes in the Sens room are going to be off the charts good. ADB notwithstanding, every core guy in that room is bonkers happy to be playing in Ottawa right now.

I bet this all indirectly helps influence Debrincat on his decision to sign by convincing him that he can fit into a complete roster - if he takes a reasonable salary.

Adding a bona-fide star - like the #1 trade bait on TSNs board this year and therefore the most desirable player on the market - that hits the lockerroom like a wave of adrenaline. These guys are gonna be flying tomorrow night.

This is a statement to the players that this is a team that is going to be given a chance to win, and from here on out its about cutting the underperformers. Not convincing people to play here.

Last edited:

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Was doing some research on Chychrun as I'm sure everyone on this board was before bed and he's a super interesting player. I knew he fell in his draft year but I didn't realize to what extent. He was projected to go top 3 heading into the season and was ranked #2 for NA skaters by central scouting only behind Matthews. Apparently there were questions about his hockey IQ in his draft year and his production didn't increase from the season before.

Then I stumbled across this: "There was an interesting post on Hfboards I wish I could find from a scout who had watched Chychrun a bunch this year and said that, the way Sarnia used him was not conducive to him succeeding. According to this guy he was basically leaned on to be a shutdown dman and an offensive quarterback while being double shifted every game, which lead to him making mistakes at the end of games mostly dude to fatigue. He went on to say that he thinks that Chychrun is actually the most NHL ready dman in the draft because he's been used so heavily and been relied upon so much more than Juolevi who is on a stacked team."

Sounds like a super extreme role that no 17 year old would have succeeded in. I remember one of my coaches from back in the day once told me: "When you're tired, the first thing that goes is the brain... something something short shifts". Very good chance overusage tanked his draft stock and looking back, he'd go before 12/15 of the guys taken before him so the original ranking doesn't look too far off.

The potential with this guy is sky high and the homer in me feels that his top 10 in Norris voting season from a couple of years ago wasn't even his peak form. He's 6'2 220 and is already a great defender. Lots of D round out that part of their game in their late twenties and with his physical build, he could be a total menace to play against in a couple of years. The offensive instincts are already there, always been an elite skater, absolute cannon of a shot and not afraid to throw around that big body. His toolkit is phenomenal and at 24, he might just be getting started (so many D peak in their late twenties).

Leading up to the trade I saw people (mostly from Leaf land) saying he's more of a #3 or #4 which is a complete joke. He's a legit #1 and instantly becomes our best D. Absolutely stoked about this he's exactly what we need, wonder how many games it will take for him to sniff PP1.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So... How are we lining up?

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Or...

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Zub

Or...

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Or...

Chabot-Sanderson
Chychrun-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Zub

Or... Idk.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have likely been the most outspoken about having defenders playing their offside...But hopefully we can have our wingers come back harder on the backcheck to help in this

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What a day.

Waking up as a Sens fan and thinking we've got ourselves a bonafide top 5 top 4.

Ho Lee shit!

This next 22 games is going to be fun.

Next year, there's a new beast in the east!

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have likely been the most outspoken about having defenders playing their offside...But hopefully we can have our wingers come back harder on the backcheck to help in this
I really don't think it's that big of a deal for some players. I have seen Sanderson escape compromising positions all season. If a player can do it effectively it can be a big advantage.

If no one can do it well they can run with 3 elite LD. Tampa did it.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I really don't think it's that big of a deal for some players. I have seen Sanderson escape compromising positions all season.
Yep and Chyc has some size to absorb a hit as well as the mobilty to hopefully avoid the worse ones...It not ideal but its likely workable and the advantages likely outweigh the negatives

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I think our best line combinations will be:
Chabot - Zub
Sandy - Chychrun
Branny - Hamonic

I think Chychrun is in the mold of the exact player we want sanderson to become and there will be no better player for him to learn his game from. Also could see some crazy chemistry between these two.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2023 is the deepest draft since 2015, but it's a good price paid by Dorion and a much better deal than the Debrincat one.

Brännström prefers the right side. Get a cheap 3C for this year's run, keep everything else the same and play everyone 20mins/night on the blueline.

Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Debrincat - Pinto - Batherson
Joseph - Bonino - Gauthier
Brassard/Gambrell - Kastelic - Watson
Kelly

Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - Brännström
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden

Sogaard
Talbot​

If the result of this is Sanderson on the 3rd pair... I am not going to like it.

So... How are we lining up?

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Or...

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Zub

Or...

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Or...

Chabot-Sanderson
Chychrun-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Zub

Or... Idk.
Can you please list all the possibilities.

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess Brassards appeal to Dorion to add worked, Brassard making a pitch to be AGM after wrapping up his on ice career?

Reactions: Larionov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad