Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I thought he was easily the best Bruins player on the defensive side of things last night. I dont care if he's not scoring if he's gonna contribute like that. That effort will pay off eventually. It has to

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I would like most of the people in this thread to eat some crow.
I don’t think anyone needs to eat crow…

Debrusk has deserved his share of criticism this year. I don’t think any poster here doesn’t want to resign Debrusk because he doesn’t have skill, speed, finish, etc.

It’s because he doesn’t show this type of game consistently and matter of fact, I still think it’s a valid concern.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I can see how regular season games can lack consistency.
Do you go into work every day, full of enthusiasm and work super hard, or is it a lot of going through the motions ? I'm sure you think you would if you got paid 4 million to do your job, and you might for a while, but eventually your enthusiasm would wane.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I still let him walk.

Yeah he's played really good hockey in the playoffs, but it just proves that his regular season issues are due to a lack of effort. Sorry not sorry, I'll pass on giving $5-$7 million a year to a guy that plays when he wants to

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If we can get him at 6m-ish mid/long term I do it. He’s still young and it will be at least market value for the entirety of the deal.

If we don’t re sign him, likely we go out and sign a much lesser player for the same, or more cost. He’s inconsistent but he can play on either top 6 line, kill penalties, and is well liked by the team. A lot can go wrong and I wouldn’t sweat minor overpayment with him, especially with the cap going up.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
For the most part, I think he's had a very, very good playoff performance so far. The point totals and the eye test both indicate that IMO.

So tough to determine the market value for a guy like that. His skill level is beyond what he's shown his production can be over a season's worth of games. No matter how he performs over the course of a given year, he'll always feel like a guy capable of putting up 70 points the following season.

I think a lot of his success this playoff season stems from knowing his proper balance of physical play versus goal scoring. In year's past, we've seen him throw his body around like an animal and just go pedal to the metal for a couple games before he seemingly gets beats up and disappears. This year, the physicality feels like it shows up in spurts each game. As does the speed and skill. Like he's figured out the most efficient way to use his skillset rather than all or nothing.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I am on now on the keep Jake bus so long as it's not a stupid overpay. He is a playoff guy, and you need them. If he mails it in sometimes during the regular season, so be it. The Bruins have made the PO's every year since Jake has been there, so clearly he is not indispensible to regular season success.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I am on now on the keep Jake bus so long as it's not a stupid overpay. He is a playoff guy, and you need them. If he mails it in sometimes during the regular season, so be it. The Bruins have made the PO's every year since Jake has been there, so clearly he is not indispensible to regular season success.

Jake's playoff numbers:

85 games 27-19-46 -15

7 playoffs, a plus player only once.

I'm still thinking Jake will move back to western Canada no matter the money.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Jake's playoff numbers:

85 games 27-19-46 -15

7 playoffs, a plus player only once.

I'm still thinking Jake will move back to western Canada no matter the money.

.5 ppg for a second line guy is fine by me and his effort has been there consistently. The +/-, well, the Bruins have hardly ripped it up in the playoffs outside of the 19 run since he's been on the team and it's such a funky stat anyway. You could be right and he's gone. I'd have him back at the 5-5.5 that's been tossed around, but if he goes, I won't cry about it, but he's worth keeping at the right price.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don’t think anyone needs to eat crow…

Debrusk has deserved his share of criticism this year. I don’t think any poster here doesn’t want to resign Debrusk because he doesn’t have skill, speed, finish, etc.

It’s because he doesn’t show this type of game consistently and matter of fact, I still think it’s a valid concern.
Its a concern on a bubble team or Ottawa type team, not Boston. Very unlikely they miss the PO. So jyst deal with RS #74. PO74 is worth 6\6.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
.5 ppg for a second line guy is fine by me and his effort has been there consistently. The +/-, well, the Bruins have hardly ripped it up in the playoffs outside of the 19 run since he's been on the team and it's such a funky stat anyway. You could be right and he's gone. I'd have him back at the 5-5.5 that's been tossed around, but if he goes, I won't cry about it, but he's worth keeping at the right price.

Like that he is versatile, can play either wing. But I always felt he's much better on the left side. Not really a big issue with me if he stays or if he goes. Trust the GM to make the right call.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I`d like Jake to sign on here, Jake Guentzel that is:naughty:

Likely gonna cost 3-4 million more a year if they want to do that. And he will have his choice of offers with there being no natural advantage for Boston other than maybe offering the most money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad