Jacob Trouba Wins the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Is there a dumber award in all of NA pro sports? Legitimately asking, I don't know the other leagues.
Not that I am aware of. I can't think of another award where one person decides it. So dumb, even when the result is not as dumb as it was this time.

Reactions: brentashton

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
ric-flair-elbow.gif

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
Yeah it’s just a bunch of ballerinas..nothing to do with the fact this is a joke award that Messier personally awards to a player on his favorite team. Just an ego stroke all around.
Why don't you do a little research before you post nonsense. No Ranger has won this award before this year! Trouba does a tremendous amount of stuff in the community. I would love to know what community service you do? Maybe you should stop spending so much time typing false narratives and get out to do some volunteering of your own. Generally the haters are the people that do the least and say the most! It much easier that way!!

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
Not to knock Trouba, but Messier picking his favourite captain for the year isn't a real award.
So if a Ranger or Oiler is deserving they can not win the Award? Do you know what Community Service Trouba does? Here is the list of winners

2023-24- Jacob Trouba- D New York Rangers
2022-23- Steven Stamkos- C Tampa Bay Lightning
2021-22- Anze Kopitar- C Los Angeles Kings
2020-21- Patrice Bergeron- C Boston Bruins
2019-20- Mark Giordano- D Calgary Flames
2018-19- Wayne Simmonds-RW Nashville Predators
2017-18- Deryk Engelland- D Vegas Golden Knights
2016-17- Nick Foligno- LW Columbus Blue Jackets
2015-16- Shea Weber- D Nashville Predators
2014-15- Jonathan Toews- C Chicago Blackhawks
2013-14- Dustin Brown- RW Los Angeles Kings
2012-13- Daniel Alfredsson- RW Ottawa Senators
2011-12- Shane Doan- RW Phoenix Coyotes
2010-11- Zdeno Chara- D Boston Bruins
2009-10- Sidney Crosby- C Pittsburgh Penguins
2008-09- Jarome Iginla- RW Calgary Flames
2007-08- Mats Sundin- C Toronto Maple Leafs
2006-07- Chris Chelios- D Detroit Red Wings

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
So if a Ranger or Oiler is deserving they can not win the Award? Do you know what Community Service Trouba does? Here is the list of winners

2023-24- Jacob Trouba- D New York Rangers
2022-23- Steven Stamkos- C Tampa Bay Lightning
2021-22- Anze Kopitar- C Los Angeles Kings
2020-21- Patrice Bergeron- C Boston Bruins
2019-20- Mark Giordano- D Calgary Flames
2018-19- Wayne Simmonds-RW Nashville Predators
2017-18- Deryk Engelland- D Vegas Golden Knights
2016-17- Nick Foligno- LW Columbus Blue Jackets
2015-16- Shea Weber- D Nashville Predators
2014-15- Jonathan Toews- C Chicago Blackhawks
2013-14- Dustin Brown- RW Los Angeles Kings
2012-13- Daniel Alfredsson- RW Ottawa Senators
2011-12- Shane Doan- RW Phoenix Coyotes
2010-11- Zdeno Chara- D Boston Bruins
2009-10- Sidney Crosby- C Pittsburgh Penguins
2008-09- Jarome Iginla- RW Calgary Flames
2007-08- Mats Sundin- C Toronto Maple Leafs
2006-07- Chris Chelios- D Detroit Red Wings

Trouba is fantastic. Not a knock on him at all.

The point is an ex-captain choosing his favourite player shouldn't be an NHL award

The King Clancy award already exists

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Why don't you do a little research before you post nonsense. No Ranger has won this award before this year! Trouba does a tremendous amount of stuff in the community. I would love to know what community service you do? Maybe you should stop spending so much time typing false narratives and get out to do some volunteering of your own. Generally the haters are the people that do the least and say the most! It much easier that way!!

Boy are you going to be embarrassed when you find out that the first person Messier awarded his self-promotion ego boost award to was in fact a Ranger

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Hahaha !!!!!! Need someone to teach the younger crowd how to 2 hand axe chop a player in the head and only get a fine!

Reactions: Number8

Apr 9, 2009
USA

I volunteer at a local place that gives free meals to the homeless and at the local elementary school. I help kids with autism. Am I allowed to think this is stupid as f***? Or is there some other arbitrary reason that people can't think this is silly?

I'm glad he does good stuff off the ice. Most teams mandate that. But that doesn't mean he's shown good leadership on the ice. Dude is trying to ruin careers. Mark couldn't find a better example? lol. It's silliness. You don't have to defend it just because it's the Rangers.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Sounds like he would be a very deserving King Clancy award winner. No one would question the guy doing a lot of community service winning an award for community service.

This award on the other hand is still meaningless nonsense and expecting people not to mock the whole situation is going to leave you disappointed

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
The troll haters don't know those ladies are fatally allergic to bees, and there was a swarm in that section.

Being the selfless superhero that he is, Jacob lunged to rescue them, swatting a few that were dangerously close to Necas (who is also fatally allergic) with his mighty elbow.
Sadly, the boards and glass were reinforced with kryptonite and stopped our hero in his tracks.

Legendary leadership.
tumblr_lnloakbLbU1qkt71ho1_500-thumb-500xauto-16.jpg

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The troll haters don't know those ladies are fatally allergic to bees, and there was a swarm in that section.

Being the selfless superhero that he is, Jacob lunged to rescue them, swatting a few that were dangerously close to Necas (who is also fatally allergic) with his mighty elbow.
Sadly, the boards and glass were reinforced with kryptonite and stopped our hero in his tracks.

Legendary leadership.
tumblr_lnloakbLbU1qkt71ho1_500-thumb-500xauto-16.jpg

Reactions: Bowski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad