Speculation: Jacob Markstrom Blocked Trade to the Los Angeles Kings

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Report: Jacob Markstrom Blocked Trade to the Los Angeles Kings

Recently, Nick Kypreos reported on Kyper’s Korner that a deal was in place to send Jacob Markstrom from the Calgary Flames to the Kings, but he shut it down with his no-trade clause too. Kypreos believes that Markstrom’s no-movement clause struck down the deal because he did not want to live on the West Coast. This aligns with the reports of the New Jersey Devils being heavily involved in trade talks to acquire Markstrom since Calgary and New Jersey have similar climates.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Find Kypreos to be mostly full of hot air, so not sure how true this would be
Most are. How many trades this year were made were there was no more than 24 hours heads up that the player was going to be traded. 9/10 the player has a NMC or NTC and they had to be asked and that it when the trade happened

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So the premise of this is he didn't want to have to deal with LA's tortuous weather, and wanted to be in NJ because it's beautiful weather is similar to Calgary's?

As someone from northern Ontario originally, dealing with hot weather can be difficult for some people if your from colder climates.

I'm far more comfortable at -25 with my wool coat than +30 (unless I'm swimming/at the beach).

It's possible for day to day life he prefers cooler climates.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Markstrom realizing this could be his 1st round match up ...

SptsT06_McDavidDraisaitl-scaled-e1683064159181.jpg

Markstrom: I won't waive! You can't make me! Noooooooooo.

*rocks back and forth on the ground*

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As someone from northern Ontario originally, dealing with hot weather can be difficult for some people if your from colder climates.

I'm far more comfortable at -25 with my wool coat than +30 (unless I'm swimming/at the beach).

It's possible for day to day life he prefers cooler climates.

It's really not +30 that often in LA from October-April.

If weather is what you're worried about in the playoffs ... you got bigger problems than weather.

Dude has money, he could get a place near the ocean, it can be very "crisp" for an evening walk in November/December.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is the first time that I've heard the suggestion that people might not want to move to Los Angeles because of the weather. It's one of the few things that I miss since moving away from Southern California. It's not "hot," except for a few weeks each year (like a lot of places), and is milder than Florida, which seems to suit a lot of retired Canadians just fine.

I have to imagine that other reasons were the factor, like living and raising kids in a metropolitan area, road trip travel and maybe distance from Sweden (though those last two may be more perception than reality compared to Calgary).

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why don't goalies want to go to LA?

It's LA.

Maybe it's because the likes of Kopitar and Doughty are getting old?

regardless though it's LA.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Bit surprised by this if true. Outside the Dubois trade there's lots to like about the Kings.

Say what you want about a potential LA - Edmonton 1st round matchup again, I'd rather face Talbot/Rittich vs a rejuvenated Markstrom even with the prior history of having his number.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I have no idea how LAK would be able to afford a 6 mill goalie anyway.

That would leave them next year with 15.5 mill in cap space and needing to fill 10 roster spots, including these free agents

Byfield, who would fetch 8+ mill AAV on a long term deal
Roy, who would be looking at 5 mill+
Arvidsson
Lewis
either of the goalies as a backup
Lizotte
Turcotte
Kaliyev
Spence
Grundstrom
etc

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is the first time that I've heard the suggestion that people might not want to move to Los Angeles because of its weather. It's one of the few things that I miss since moving away. It's not "hot," except for a few weeks each year, and is milder than Florida, which seems to suit a lot of retired Canadians just fine.

I have to imagine that other reasons were the factor, like living in a metropolitan area and maybe distance from Sweden (though that's more perception than reality compared to Calgary).

From Oct-April it's not that bad.

As an example this weeks weather for LA

High of 20 for most of the week, low around 11 (celcius), will drop to a high of 17 over the weekend.

That's not blistering heat, if you live near the ocean especially I would recommend a jacket for evenings. It can get nippy once dusk rolls around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad