Is Holly Holm now the best women's fighter?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm not big on the UFC and id be lying if I could tell you the difference between that and MMA. I think all of the stuff is better than boxing now but about as intriguing as wrestling. Her resume seems small. She is 10-0 in MMA and 3-0 in UFC but she did knockout the girl everyone oozes over so I am intrigued in the opinions of this matter.

Bored

Jan 13, 2008
I'm not big on the UFC and id be lying if I could tell you the difference between that and MMA. I think all of the stuff is better than boxing now but about as intriguing as wrestling. Her resume seems small. She is 10-0 in MMA and 3-0 in UFC but she did knockout the girl everyone oozes over so I am intrigued in the opinions of this matter.

I just got back from the fight, it was good to have a ufc here in Melbourne. Rousey was too underprepared for the fight imo. i think the attention Rousey has been getting finally got to her head. Good on Holm for taking advantage

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I just got back from the fight, it was good to have a ufc here in Melbourne. Rousey was too underprepared for the fight imo. i think the attention Rousey has been getting finally got to her head. Good on Holm for taking advantage

Did you have good seats?

Bored

Jan 13, 2008
Did you have good seats?

No not really, the sightlines are were poor for such a small ring/octagon as the stadium was too big.

This photo was taken behind glass in the medallion club

The Jesus*

Cyborg is still out there, and I think it's pretty clear now who would win between Cyborg and Rousey. As for Holm, we'll see in the re-match.

I did some digging to see what was going on behind the scenes, and apparently there is a coaching issue. Ronda's mom hates Edmund (Ronda's coach). She despises that he was trying to turn Ronda into a boxer, and giving her false confidence in her boxing skills in order to prop up his image as a boxing coach and get new clients. Ronda's mom would regularly call her and hound her to focus on her armbars and ground game.

But because she bought into Edmund puffing her up and telling her she's an amazing boxer when clearly she's not, she shrugged off her mother's advice and went in there and tried to box a 16 time world boxing champion. Which left her laying unconscious at the mat. I mean, she didn't even try pushing her against the cage and dirty boxing her, which I thought for sure she would do.

I expect Ronda to fire her coach and switch camps. She'll do a full training camp, and focus a lot more on dirty boxing and her ground game. She'll come out in the re-match looking to bring Holm down and tap her out.

So to answer your question, wait for the re-match. Ronda was getting bad advice from what appears to be a dbag coach. If she comes out in the second fight and fights the way she should and still loses, then yes. Holly Holm is the best.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
What's weird is that despite crushing Rousey, Holm has really not dominated UFC competition. She's got a decision win over "Marion Reneau", whoever that is, and a split decision win over Raquel Pennington.

Did Holm just step up her game that much from her previous fights, or did Reneau and Pennington just come to their fights with better plans to deal with an elite striker? Maybe it's a little of both.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
No not really, the sightlines are were poor for such a small ring/octagon as the stadium was too big.

This photo was taken behind glass in the medallion club

We were in Medallion too but couple rows from the fence.

Agree on the venue being way too big.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Uh, what?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Cyborg is still out there, and I think it's pretty clear now who would win between Cyborg and Rousey. As for Holm, we'll see in the re-match.

I did some digging to see what was going on behind the scenes, and apparently there is a coaching issue. Ronda's mom hates Edmund (Ronda's coach). She despises that he was trying to turn Ronda into a boxer, and giving her false confidence in her boxing skills in order to prop up his image as a boxing coach and get new clients. Ronda's mom would regularly call her and hound her to focus on her armbars and ground game.

But because she bought into Edmund puffing her up and telling her she's an amazing boxer when clearly she's not, she shrugged off her mother's advice and went in there and tried to box a 16 time world boxing champion. Which left her laying unconscious at the mat. I mean, she didn't even try pushing her against the cage and dirty boxing her, which I thought for sure she would do.

I expect Ronda to fire her coach and switch camps. She'll do a full training camp, and focus a lot more on dirty boxing and her ground game. She'll come out in the re-match looking to bring Holm down and tap her out.

So to answer your question, wait for the re-match. Ronda was getting bad advice from what appears to be a dbag coach. If she comes out in the second fight and fights the way she should and still loses, then yes. Holly Holm is the best.

I definitely think she should be with a more proven camp, but I don't buy too much into any of this crap. Her coach definitely knows better for her than her mom does, and her boxing game is by far where she needs the most work. I feel like she had a clinch in the first round and couldn't capitalize, and wasn't available to use her striking effectively enough to close the distance to get a takedown, which is an absolute requirement with someone whose striking is at the level Holm is at.

I think this is one of the first opponents Rousey has ever had that is actually a world class lifelong elite athlete, who has trained at the highest level. A lot of her opponents have been part timers, as the division is in a state of such relative infancy. As more funding is available for more and more athletes to train at the highest level, the quality of competition is going to totally outclass a relatively one-dimensional but absolutely world class judoka.

The Jesus*

I definitely think she should be with a more proven camp, but I don't buy too much into any of this crap. Her coach definitely knows better for her than her mom does, and her boxing game is by far where she needs the most work. I feel like she had a clinch in the first round and couldn't capitalize, and wasn't available to use her striking effectively enough to close the distance to get a takedown, which is an absolute requirement with someone whose striking is at the level Holm is at.

I think this is one of the first opponents Rousey has ever had that is actually a world class lifelong elite athlete, who has trained at the highest level. A lot of her opponents have been part timers, as the division is in a state of such relative infancy. As more funding is available for more and more athletes to train at the highest level, the quality of competition is going to totally outclass a relatively one-dimensional but absolutely world class judoka.

The guy has a terrible track record. Every fighter he has trained recently came off vicious losses. After the 1st round he told her she was doing well and to keep it up, despite the fact she was already rocked and totally gassed.

Boxers are notorious chumps at defending a single or double. Holm has no ground game at all. Ronda went in there and was coached to be aggressive and try to bring a stand up fight to a 16 time world boxing champion, from a coach who continually said she's an amazing boxer at a world class level. We all see how that went.

She should have went in there and shoved her up against the cage and bullied her. She should have went for the takedown. After the first round, the advice should have been to shoot for a leg immediately and get the fight down, because Ronda was getting her ass kicked.

And after the fight, did you see Edmund groping Ronda and her, even in a barely conscious state, prying his hands off her? The guy is a total and complete creep.

Mom's always know best. Don't act like Ronda's mom is some typical run of the mill soccer mom. She's an elite, world class martial artist. She's smart as a whip, and is the only reason Ronda Rousey became the athlete she is today. She got bad vibes from Edmund and publicly called him out, and implored her daughter to not go into fights looking to bang. Well, it looks like she was right across the board. Never underestimate a mother's instinct.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
The guy has a terrible track record. Every fighter he has trained recently came off vicious losses. After the 1st round he told her she was doing well and to keep it up, despite the fact she was already rocked and totally gassed.

Boxers are notorious chumps at defending a single or double. Holm has no ground game at all. Ronda went in there and was coached to be aggressive and try to bring a stand up fight to a 16 time world boxing champion, from a coach who continually said she's an amazing boxer at a world class level. We all see how that went.

She should have went in there and shoved her up against the cage and bullied her. She should have went for the takedown. After the first round, the advice should have been to shoot for a leg immediately and get the fight down, because Ronda was getting her ass kicked.

And after the fight, did you see Edmund groping Ronda and her, even in a barely conscious state, prying his hands off her? The guy is a total and complete creep.

Mom's always know best. Don't act like Ronda's mom is some typical run of the mill soccer mom. She's an elite, world class martial artist. She's smart as a whip, and is the only reason Ronda Rousey became the athlete she is today. She got bad vibes from Edmund and publicly called him out, and implored her daughter to not go into fights looking to bang. Well, it looks like she was right across the board. Never underestimate a mother's instinct.

When has Ronda ever taken people down via a "single or double"?

Moms don't always know best. Not even close. It may be time for Rousey to change things up, but I think you're overstating the whole camp thing.

Oct 15, 2008
What's weird is that despite crushing Rousey, Holm has really not dominated UFC competition. She's got a decision win over "Marion Reneau", whoever that is, and a split decision win over Raquel Pennington.

Did Holm just step up her game that much from her previous fights, or did Reneau and Pennington just come to their fights with better plans to deal with an elite striker? Maybe it's a little of both.

Rhonda laid down to hype a trilogy and put Holm over.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

Well, Pennington is an underrated and really tough fighter. Marion Reneau is somewhat on the level of a Bethe Correia; Reneau was completely dominated in that fight to the point she did nothing & it just so happened that Holm didn't finish, which led me to believe she was pillow-fisted :laugh:

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
She just made the woman who has destroyed and cleaned out the division look like a child, so I think that's an unequivocal yes. As someone mentioned, I think we also got our answer in terms of how a Rousey-Cyborg matchup would've gone. I believe Cyborg commented on this fight in terms of Holm being the only person Ronda's fought that's a legit 135er with the size and background to really give her problems. She was right on the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad