How is my diet?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
66, try to incorporate steel cut oats into your diet. It's one of the best things you can have for breakfast, but the downside is it takes 30 mins to make. So a trick I use is to make them for the week ahead, then store the oats in small mason jars.

I simply mix in some fruit (raisins, bananas, blueberries, etc) before eating them. I eat them cold, but you can always reheat them if you prefer them that way,

You can make them in numerous ways, but an easy recipe to try them out is apple cinnamon steel cut oats.

Just get some steel cut oats, (avoid the 3 min crap) and make as many servings as you want:

6 servings

6 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of steel cut oats
2 TBSP of pure maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cored apple
1 tsp vanilla

Boil 6 cups of water, then add the oats, maple syrup, cinnamon and apple. Reduce and simmer for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally. After they are done cooking, add the vanilla and stir well.

Then simply spoon out the portions into your mason jars. Easy peasy.

You can add a little maple syrup to each jar to sweeten them up if you prefer.

Now you have a beastly, healthy and portable breakfast that you can grab and go, for the entire week.

To adjust the servings, just remember that a serving is 1/4c of oats to 1c water.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Thanks, i'll have to try that out. I use the oats that goes into the microwave for 90 seconds. Not the greatest of taste with nothing else added into it I must say.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Be careful with oats.. Adding fruits and syrup is a carb trap.

Also, dont worry that much about the weight on the scale, worry about how you feel and how you look.

Your weight is just a number.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I might eat that before an intense workout but for breakfast that would.ruin my day lol.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I'll eat a couple pieces of low sodium bacon for breakfast with a bowl of Cheerios and a glass of milk usually .

Dinner is usually some sort of meat. Whether that be beef or chicken. I'll try to have some corn and broccoli with it too.

Throughout the day I just snack on unsalted sunflower seeds/almonds (roasted and salted)/water

Gets boring but it does the trick. I do throw in pizza and pasta also.

As for protein shakes....one during workout, one in the shower, one with lunch and one after dinner

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Be careful with oats.. Adding fruits and syrup is a carb trap.

Also, dont worry that much about the weight on the scale, worry about how you feel and how you look.

Your weight is just a number.

Let's not start confusing natural, healthy carbs with refined carbs. There is enough misinformation and fear of carbs being perpetrated by diet companies with agendas.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Let's not start confusing natural, healthy carbs with refined carbs. There is enough misinformation and fear of carbs being perpetrated by diet companies with agendas.

Sure.. Those are good carbs, but thats a huge meal caloric wise and it supports little muscle building and fat burning.

Functional, sure.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sure.. Those are good carbs, but thats a huge meal caloric wise and it supports little muscle building and fat burning.

Functional, sure.

Huge caloric meal? Not really.

Most people will casually pour a bowl of cereal for breakfast and never realize they just ate two cups, which is two servings. They will also be hungry faster, as most cereal is refined carbs and it burns off quickly. So these people will end up consuming more calories later in the morning because they are still hungry.

Steel cut oats are complex, slow burning carbohydrates, that can serve as your main source of energy during a workout.

Your body needs the proper fuel to support your workouts. If you are ingesting refined carbs, your body will start using protein for energy.

So ya, complex carbs, like steel cut oats, are an important part of building muscle.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Man I LOVE this, I don't even crave garbage anymore nor am I looking for a cheat meal. I just want to keep going, feels like this is the time where I finally get over the hump. People at my work are even asking me I look like I've lost a lot of weight (21 pounds so far in 3 weeks, i'm 209). Just ate a wrap that had 12 OZ chicken breast, 1 cup lettuce, and a handful of chopped up tomatoes. I'm starting to use containers now, and still logging all my food on the app. I also got way more energy.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I often eat 2 cups of dry oats per day mixed into my protein shakes. They help give me the energy to lift and ride on the same day. You either burn off the calories or you don't.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Since I just saw this post has been bumped figured i'd update. I lost 35 pounds to end August, fell into a huge depression about life things and just went to the doctors about anti depressants with this amazing woman I know! I'm still sitting at 195, and for the first time since my early 20's i'm under 200. I'm ready to get back on track now though. My nutrition is not that good but it's not that bad either, as in what I used to eat pre thread.

Oct 18, 2011
if you want to keep your weight down i wouldn't be taking anti-depressants, plus all the other side effects that come with them

iconoclast22

Mar 25, 2015
66, congrats on your decision to seek a healthier lifestyle. Diet is really pretty simple, and I think it's stupid when people are constantly counting calories, measuring out literally every portion and slapping meat onto scales, etc. it's not necessary to obsess about it. If you eat as naturally as possible, think like- could I hunt/fish or gather this? It's hard to get fat(ter) on a diet like that. I've never seen someone become obese on salmon and broccoli. That mindset forms the core of what you eat and moderate the Froot Loops, etc. Exercise for health, not to lose weight because exercise is actually an inefficient means of losing weight without a consistently good diet. What I mean is this: say you eat 3 slices of pizza that contain 300 calories a piece. If you want to exercise to " break even" on your caloric intake- basically run those calories off, you'll have to run about 10 miles. Bad food adds up and quickly places you in a deficit that you can't out train. I'm not saying never eat the stuff, it's just moderation. You don't have to be hardcore to see positive results like the bro science and fitness industry types would have you believe.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Kap, u should be on saturday night live u r so funny, dolt.

Ask your Doctor, dolt. Or try google.

this is from webmd:

"Fear: Taking an antidepressant will make me gain weight. Fact: Like all drugs, antidepressants have side effects, and weight gain can be a common one of many of them. Some antidepressants may be more likely than others to cause weight gain; others may actually cause you to lose some weight."

Last edited:

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
gold coming from you lmao. Ask your ****ing Doctor, dolt.

Now, if you're too embarassss to ask your doctor, this is from webmd:

"Fear: Taking an antidepressant will make me gain weight. Fact: Like all drugs, antidepressants have side effects, and weight gain can be a common one of many of them. Some antidepressants may be more likely than others to cause weight gain; others may actually cause you to lose some weight."

Anyone ever tell you that you are a real A-hole? How long did it take you to google the word "dolt" to find out what it meant, an hour? Stop responding to my posts. You are not welcomed. As a matter of fact, I will block you instead of reading your immature responses.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Anyone ever tell you that you are a real A-hole? How long did it take you to google the word "dolt" to find out what it meant, an hour? Stop responding to my posts. You are not welcomed. As a matter of fact, I will block you instead of reading your immature responses.

You come across as a giant sensitive baby

It's like anything, if you overeat you'll put on weight. Sorry I didn't sugarcoat it enough for you.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad