Post-Game Talk: Horrifying Act of Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Switching gears from the Panarin stuff. He needs to be better going forward and turning the focus to someone who was actually bad for almost the entire year and most of this series.

Rangers gave up 8 high danger chances in this game 5v5.

Ryan Lindgren was on the ice for 7 of them!

I've seen bad shit before, but thats next level.

For reference, Fox was on ice for 4 of the 8.

How the hell did Lindgren manage to squeak away for 3 more?
In 8 minutes without Fox in the playoffs, Lindgren has been on the ice for 7 scoring chances. He makes the most of his time.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yeah, I understand but as a result it felt like they gave up a BETTER chance at a shorthanded goal than if they just played their game.
They did but I understood being conservative in that spot and the mindset of just managing the puck against a team that has troubles scoring. Washington was going to be aggressive on that PK.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have issues with NST's tracking honestly.

For instance, according to them the Kakko goal wasn't a HDCF.

It was basically a one timer right down the dick between the circles from about 10 feet out. We can talk about whether or not they earned that one but how the f*** is that not high danger? It's pretty much as High Danger as you can get.
Well yeah, that's a whole other thing, and that's why I like the work Valiquette does.

Washington had the puck a lot and Igor made some nice saves but did they have a single chance like Kakko's?

Did they have a single chance like that the entire two games in Washington?

I can't remember any. That's why I do think there's some validity to the turtling. The one thing we're inarguably bad at is defending the rush and Washington had no rush at all in games 1, 3, and 4. I'll die on the hill that game 2 was just an assfest but we stole one and I don't care.

So do I think we deserved to win? Yes. Like I said, one bounce here and another there, and it's 2-2, but that's hockey. The right team won.

Am I concerned about inviting pressure against Carolina who will take 150 shot attempts a game? Also yes.

Although, again, for all their shots 5v5 they don't score that much 5v5. They've needed their powerplay against the Islanders.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
Ovy, you've had an incredible career...one of the best to ever do it.

Please hang them up. We don't need to remember you like this.
Kind of looking like the way Babe Ruth went out, staying around one season or two too long
Mere shell of himself. Looking at him, it looked like he was hurt or didn’t care. Didn’t seem to have the same drive, but it could also be how well the rangers defended him.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
Wenny much better tonight. He’s not coming out with the PK role. Rempe maybe gets a hand against Canes but I think he’s the odd man out next round. Yes unnecessary against a team without a heavyweight
He should be in for at least one of the games to punish the defense

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
tHE raNgERs NeED to PlAY bETteR!

You guys realize they had MORE THAN DOUBLE the goals of the other team for the series, right?

Everyone gets that you win by scoring the most goals right?

And, god help us all, but we are Rangers fans, right? And we already know we win despite the analytics?

Twice as many goals. For the series.

What the hell are you people expecting?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Awesome to wake up to. Good on Kakko for getting on the board. Good for Panarin too. Good all round.

WTF was Wilson doing after Trochecks goal?
and WTF was Ovechkin doing all series? - he should be embarrassed. Pathetic statline and even worse effort. Love it.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The other 3 Eastern series could be over in 5. All the 3-1 leaders are playing at home. It would be better if all those series went to 7 but that's not very likely. That said the Rangers accomplished the goal of getting through the series as fast as possible. It saves on wear and tear to the team and gives any players who are banged up time to rest and recuperate. It wasn't necessary for Rempe to fight Wilson or McIlrath. He can do that next year. Speaking of avoiding injuries Jensen's knee of Fox didn't look good for us for a few minutes. That's a glimpse of how fast things can go to shit and again a picture of why it's best to not play any more games than necessary.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
My honest thoughts on the series from an analytics standpoint:

It was a sweep and that's great.

It wasn't tremendous 5v5 and this could be a 2-2 series but that's hockey. Game 1 was great and game 4 was saved by a good third period. Game 3 was a turtle job and I still think game 2 sucked.

I'm not entirely surprised. NST does a great job tracking head-to-head matchups and Washington outchanced us all year. So did Philadelphia, Chicago, San Jose, Buffalo, Calgary, Ottawa, and Minnesota.

For whatever reason, we have a really weird response to bad teams.

On the flip side, we were very good this year against LA, Florida, New Jersey, Toronto, Winnipeg, and Boston. We lost bad twice to Vegas but arguably got goalied in both of them. These are all good analytics teams.

Carolina lit us up but they light everyone up. At this point, you just have to accept that Carolina is a weird team. They literally always win the analytics but they still have obvious flaws. Their inability to win certain series has demonstrated that despite the numbers. Similar to Boston vs Toronto, the same thing keeps happening despite what the numbers say.

That's not to say Carolina couldn't win but they're beatable and weirdly enough, I don't think we're gonna play any worse than we did against garbage ass Washington.

You also have to consider that Washington led like 3 minutes. Half the teams currently winning series are getting outshot and outchanced. It's really turtly this time of year and I guess it works because teams keep doing it.
Semi tin foil hat why the turtle works in the playoffs more often than not, especially with good teams doing it

The refs allow it to be that way

If a team that is ahead is playing the open game as usual then the refs are gonna give powerplays to the losing to team and incentivize more exciting play

If a team is turtling then the refs are less likely to *see* reasons or opportunities to award powerplays, but also feel less inclined to give a powerplay since the team down 1 is likely to not go down any further and will continue to get more chances.

I have issues with NST's tracking honestly.

For instance, according to them the Kakko goal wasn't a HDCF.

It was basically a one timer right down the dick between the circles from about 10 feet out. We can talk about whether or not they earned that one but how the f*** is that not high danger? It's pretty much as High Danger as you can get.
Now that is some great analytics

Reactions: HolyHagelin

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
-sweeping/short series are incredibly important in the 1st 2-3 rounds of the playoffs if a Team has serious thoughts of winning it all. Kudos to NYR for shutting the door tonight.
- Zibby adds to his pt streak ( huge for him/team)
-bread with 2pts plus the game winner was equally vital. That’s a nice boost of confidence for him after. Hard working season. We need these guys to perform.
-Tro is a savage. Full stop
-3/4th lines continue to play well
-shesty dialed in

I really think we match up well against Carolina. They aren’t going to obstructed/try to kill the rangers speed. I think the games will actually have more open ice which is better for our top 2 lines.
Just have to focus defensively and shut them down.
I’m proud of this team and they deserved the series sweep. Besides a couple min in a few games here and there caps just looked like they can generate absolutely nothing.
Take the well deserved rest. I’m sure Fox/trouba/lindgren/ and a bunch of forwards can all us so R&R to recover a bit.
Our young guys continue to gain valuable postseason experience.
LGR

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
IMG_4462.jpeg

Enjoy the ride boys and girls. This series wasn’t pretty but they got it done. It’s going to be a war from here on out so let’s just hope the hockey gods are on our side. I love you all, even Machinehead:sarcasm: LGR

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Knicks and Rangers win 7 PO games together in a week. Unreal for the city. The buzz grows and grows and there’s nothing like it.

Biz is a douche bag clown loser. His Ranger bias boner for the Lapierre goal was beyond embarrassing . I can’t believe I’m saying I’d rather Colby ‘the personality’ Armstrong in between periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad