OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Yes, but can it play Crysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Working at a hotel, I can definitely say that electric cars - more specifically, charging them - is a 'you' problem.
6t508r.jpg

California: You all will switch to EV now!

Also California: Dont charge your EV, the grid cannot handle it

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Anyone else wanting Rings of Power? Had very low expectations on it, but its been good. Enjoyed the latest episode.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So not sure if any of the gamer types here are familiar with the Humble Bundles but they are running one now that includes Star Wars KOTOR for a buck. Graphics are a bit dated but it's still considered one of the truly great Star Wars game properties.

Honestly it still holds up IMO. Pretty dated at this point obviously so it's not going to be pretty. And elements of the combat are awfully simplistic and awkward by modern standards but it still has to be one of if not THE best SW games ever made. Which, much as I love that game, is also kind of a commentary on how very barren SW offerings have been basically since those games were created.

Thanks EA.

Also Sith Lords is really, really good too. And in some ways better IMO. They really added a lot to the combat and crafting side of the game. Though the story is not quite as good and holy shit was that game a buggy mess with a rushed ending on release. Some revisions and patches have since smoothed out some of those problems at least on the Steam version.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I admit openly to being a person who, from time-to-time, just watches a playthrough on YT because I'm a busy little beaver and sometimes I want to know the story of a game without taking the 8 months it would take me to get through 15+ hours of gameplay. I did that with Fallen Order since it's considered canon and it looked interesting enough but again, I say that as a viewer, not a player.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I admit openly to being a person who, from time-to-time, just watches a playthrough on YT because I'm a busy little beaver and sometimes I want to know the story of a game without taking the 8 months it would take me to get through 15+ hours of gameplay. I did that with Fallen Order since it's considered canon and it looked interesting enough but again, I say that as a viewer, not a player.

I don't get nearly the time I used to obviously. But I just carve out time in the middle of the night and deal with the loss of sleep lol

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
So not sure if any of the gamer types here are familiar with the Humble Bundles but they are running one now that includes Star Wars KOTOR for a buck. Graphics are a bit dated but it's still considered one of the truly great Star Wars game properties.
Thats a game Ive always considered trying but havent yet.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly I think if you are a fan of Star Wars at all it's borderline required to at least WATCH a playthrough to get the story.

If you're a stickler about modern gaming graphics and creature comforts it may not be your thing, though. Of course the good news is that you could run it on an actual potato.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Honestly I think if you are a fan of Star Wars at all it's borderline required to at least WATCH a playthrough to get the story.

If you're a stickler about modern gaming graphics and creature comforts it may not be your thing, though. Of course the good news is that you could run it on an actual potato.
Pfft. Crysis level graphics or GTFO!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Haha... don't get me wrong... I love some bleeding edge, modern AAA stuff. I mean... the ones that are actually worth playing that aren't shameless cash grab slot machine horseshit. I dropped a decent chunk of change so I could play those when I want to, after all.

But I'd say 3/4 of the games I play are either old as shit or small studio offerings.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'll shamefully admit that the game I've played most lately is.....sigh....Fortnite. I still kind of hate Fortnite but my son likes it and actually asks me to duo with him so I'll put up with a fair bit of BS.

My all-time favorite games to replay are definitely still like, n64 Zelda games and the like. I spend more time on my retropie than I do on the XBox.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I bought KOTOR2 for the Switch and the ending is still rushed. Was great up until the last level/planet.

Yeah they smooth some of the edges out and fix some bugs.

But the end is still very underwhelming compared to everything leading up to it. It's a shame... you can tell they were being buffaloed into putting it out.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ive been playing a lot of Total War: 3 Kingdoms if I play anything lately. Loved Star Wars Battlefront 2, except the online play has been completely buggy and not patched. Waiting to see if the new CoD is any decent.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah they smooth some of the edges out and fix some bugs.

But the end is still very underwhelming compared to everything leading up to it. It's a shame... you can tell they were being buffaloed into putting it out.
Kotor is a classic. I still like 2, but I've only played with the original (lack of) ending.

I hope the remake/remaster gets back on the ground. It's a bummer it got messed up and is being shuffled around.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Anywho, new Zelda next May. Allegedly.
thats-what-she-said-what-she-said.gif

Whats annoying is that when I built my new computer in January of 2021, took me almost 2 months to get my 5950x (wanted a 5900x, but they offered me the 5950x cause they got those first) and I never could get my hands on a new video card at a decent price. Now Im playing the waiting game on the next gen stuff. Good thing my Vega 64 is still going strong.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Still waiting on Baldur’s Gate 3

Evidently in early access until sometime next year.

I played the first two again about a year ago. Again... games that hold up so long as you aren't overly-concerned about pretty things and some old school game mechanics. BGII is something of a masterpiece, honestly.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kotor is a classic. I still like 2, but I've only played with the original (lack of) ending.

I hope the remake/remaster gets back on the ground. It's a bummer it got messed up and is being shuffled around.

Yeah I was looking forward to that. But from the sounds of it... probably a good thing it got canned. Sounded half-baked at best. The dev doing it sounded like they were in way over their heads. Had only handled some ports prior to that. Odd choice.

The expansion pack is my favorite. Nothing beats becoming a demigod and hurling small planets at your enemies.

Yeah late game BGII along with the expansion really made you feel good about the payoff of going with a magic user. At that point you were a hammer and everything looked like a nail.

I suppose same could be said about all classes late game, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad