Value of: Hawks trading down from #2 to at worst the #7

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think the Hawks will do it as they have a lot of excess picks the last 3 drafts already and still need some high end talent. I'm also not sure I believe picks 2-7 are as much a blender as some will say. I think people just get a bit uneasy seeing guys from Russia/Belarus (even though one is already in North America) that highly rated.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
You got to think Montreal would really like to get Lindstrom (big center) if his injuries aren't too concerning

Reactions: TT1

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Lot's of Habs proposals in here. Ill add to it.

Ill trade...

#5 + Jets 1st + Mesar + Hawks choice of Barron/Harris/Struble/Engstrom/Konyushkov
I take this all day long as a Hawk fan. Demidov is to much of the same size and shape as Bedard, Nazar, Moore, and even Reichel for me. He ultimately may end up a much better NHL player than any of those other than Bedard, but that is far from certain and at some point you have to believe in your own evaluations and prior draft picks. This probably means you won't get Levshunov, but end up with no worse than the 3rd D out of a draft that concensus is 4-5 prospects with top pairing potential in this draft. Parekh or Buium honestly may be more of a fit long term for the Hawks who need another option to run the PP if Korchinski does not develop as hoped.

I would not hate coming out of the draft with Parekh (prefer RHD given what Hawks already have on D and if he and Korch both hit they can play on the same PP), Mesar, Barron, and whatever best player available at 20, 27, & 34 if you can't attach a 2nd to move up a few slots to get a better forward in the mid-teens area.

koivu2k1

Oct 1, 2017
I take this all day long as a Hawk fan. Demidov is to much of the same size and shape as Bedard, Nazar, Moore, and even Reichel for me. He ultimately may end up a much better NHL player than any of those other than Bedard, but that is far from certain and at some point you have to believe in your own evaluations and prior draft picks. This probably means you won't get Levshunov, but end up with no worse than the 3rd D out of a draft that concensus is 4-5 prospects with top pairing potential in this draft. Parekh or Buium honestly may be more of a fit long term for the Hawks who need another option to run the PP if Korchinski does not develop as hoped.

I would not hate coming out of the draft with Parekh (prefer RHD given what Hawks already have on D and if he and Korch both hit they can play on the same PP), Mesar, Barron, and whatever best player available at 20, 27, & 34 if you can't attach a 2nd to move up a few slots to get a better forward in the mid-teens area.
I think most habs fans would be ok with this trade assuming our scouts and GMs did their research on Demidov and see no issues with his knee and character.

#5 + Jets 1st + Mesar + Harris for #2.

should we get the paperwork ready?

Reactions: waitin425

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I think most habs fans would be ok with this trade assuming our scouts and GMs did their research on Demidov and see no issues with his knee and character.

#5 + Jets 1st + Mesar + Harris for #2.

should we get the paperwork ready?
#5 + Jets 1st + Mesar + Barron for #2....I'll let Kyle from Chicago know the paperwork is coming.

Reactions: koivu2k1

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

We are way too early to worry about the size of our forwards. If demidov is the best option according to the hawks then select him

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This one is interesting. There's a lot of chatter that the top end of the first round has some excellent but interchangeable players, and that many scouts are all over the map with their preferred order... but that after Celebrini, there is a growing consensus that Demidov is probably the No. 2 player. Perhaps consensus is too strong, though.

I suspect that if this pick was made available, the Blackhawks would have some takers. The better question is why wouldn't Chicago want to draft an excellent defense prospect?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I suspect that if this pick was made available, the Blackhawks would have some takers. The better question is why wouldn't Chicago want to draft an excellent defense prospect?

I think the idea (whether it is realistic or not) is that the Hawks could move down to ~5, and still draft that excellent D prospect. Particularly if they trade with a team like MTL who is looking at F. On top they could add another 1st and a prospect/young player.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think the idea (whether it is realistic or not) is that the Hawks could move down to ~5, and still draft that excellent D prospect. Particularly if they trade with a team like MTL who is looking at F. On top they could add another 1st and a prospect/young player.
Right. Demidov won't fall to No. 5, though. There are serious questions about whether he would fall as far as No. 3.

Dropping from No. 3 to, say, No. 7 or 8... I think there is a good case for taking the risk that your favored player remains on the board. I don't think that's true of Demidov, though. It's not Celebrini and then a free for all. It really seems to be emerging that Demidov is viewed above that mix of excellent but interchangeable players.

Chicago's pick is too good for this hypothetical.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Say what!?!

You think you're getting our future #1C? No way. No chance.

Only way you get Celebrini, is if Bedard is coming back the other way, which of course you wouldn't do.
They might. Is there a big enough difference in their offence to make up for the difference in their defence? Say Bedard turns into a consistent 120 point winger. Would you prefer that over a 90-100 center who may also win some Selkes along the way? I think I might prefer Mac to Connor.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
If nobody moves, it is very likely that neither Demidov and Lindstrom are available at 5 for MTL, so it would make sense for MTL to try to move up. But, I'm curious to know who would CHI draft if they are ready to pass on Demidov, Lindstrom and Levshunov. Silayev? Dickinson? They would need to value these guys more then the previous 3 guys

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
This one is interesting. There's a lot of chatter that the top end of the first round has some excellent but interchangeable players, and that many scouts are all over the map with their preferred order... but that after Celebrini, there is a growing consensus that Demidov is probably the No. 2 player. Perhaps consensus is too strong, though.

Because despite a deep pool of D prospects, almost all are left hand shot and only Korchinski has any realistic chance of a PP1 ceiling. 1 of Levshunov or Parekh will likely be available at 5 (or even 7 if the Hawks trade down with Ottawa around their 2 1st). They would also have an option of going Buium if they think he is the best potential PP1 guy.

If the Hawks are sold on either Levshunov or Demidov having a significantly higher ceiling than anyone else, they keep the pick and make it. I think there is a chance they could have a few other guys they like as much (or even more), in which case a trade down with some one that believes much more in one guy become possible.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
We’re not talking about a Simishev, we’re talking about the top six. The op is talking about dropping down from 2-6, and the order is very much up in the air. Everyone is going to say they got the guy they had at number two in that group, and they may not be lying. Mackenzie’s article is named “an unpredictable ride after Celebrini”. I think my statement stands.
Simashev was drafted 6. Wasnt consider a top 10 pick.

All i’m saying.

This year you wont see a surprise at 2-6. Different order sure just like top 4 last year but all 4 names gone by 5.

This year 5 d and 3 fwds gone by 8 unless a team goes by need which most agree is wrong.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
#5 + Jets 1st + Mesar + Barron for #2....I'll let Kyle from Chicago know the paperwork is coming.
that's the equivalent of 3 1st rounders to move up 3 spots. yikes. hughes better be certain

If nobody moves, it is very likely that neither Demidov and Lindstrom are available at 5 for MTL, so it would make sense for MTL to try to move up. But, I'm curious to know who would CHI draft if they are ready to pass on Demidov, Lindstrom and Levshunov. Silayev? Dickinson? They would need to value these guys more then the previous 3 guys
i suspect habs will be happy taking Iginla if one of the teams above them gets super greedy - which is likely

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Simashev was drafted 6. Wasnt consider a top 10 pick.

All i’m saying.

This year you wont see a surprise at 2-6. Different order sure just like top 4 last year but all 4 names gone by 5.

This year 5 d and 3 fwds gone by 8 unless a team goes by need which most agree is wrong.
I know who he is and when he went lol. I’m not talking about surprises in the top six. Just saying there’s no consensus in that area and I doubt anyone is going to pay a heavy price in this draft to move up. I wouldn’t be surprised if all it took was a second rounder. Wouldn’t make sense to pay a heavier price on this draft.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
that's the equivalent of 3 1st rounders to move up 3 spots. yikes. hughes better be certain

i suspect habs will be happy taking Iginla if one of the teams above them gets super greedy - which is likely

It does seem like a steep price for a draft as jumbled as this one in terms of consensus. I love Demidov, would love to draft him, but he'd really have to hit at that price.

Is Demidov > Lindstrom/Iginla + 26 +Mesar + Barron?

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It does seem like a steep price for a draft as jumbled as this one in terms of consensus. I love Demidov, would love to draft him, but he'd really have to hit at that price.

Is Demidov > Lindstrom/Iginla + 26 +Mesar + Barron?
Lindstrom is gonna be better imo in the playoffs

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Lindstrom is gonna be better imo in the playoffs

This is what I mean, habs are guaranteed a solid player at 5, perhaps not with the same "skill' level of Demidov, but one with other attributes that Demidov may not possess, you then throw in all the other pluses, and you need to start to question if the price is worth it.

I would personally love to move up as Demidov is my 2nd favourite player in this draft, but I wouldn't go higher than MTL's 1st, Wpg's 1st and one of, Mesar/Harris/Barron. Not two.

Even then, I think I may just be more comfortable staying at 5 and perhaps use the rest of that package to try and trade up into the middle of the 1st round, or for an already existing NHL player.

It'll be interesting to see how Hughes works this offseason. Intriguing times for a hab fan.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Apparently not a ton of consensus in this #2-7 range with many of these picks having their specific pro's and con's. Hypothetically if Kyle Davidson wouldn't want Demidov, what would Anaheim, Columbus, Montreal, Utah, and Ottawa give up for the #2 pick? This likely doesn't happen as we rarely see teams move up or down this early in NHL drafts, but this particular draft at least leaves room open for discussion.

Only stipulation is the trade would at the very least involve a swap of 1st rounders this draft i.e. a trade with CBJ would be the #2 for #4 +++
Yeah, that +++ is not going to happen. You said it yourself, not a consensus from 2-7. Each team in thos spots could theoretically end up with their own ranked #2 by not moving. There is very little value to trading within the top 2-7 this year. Any move doesn't likely come with a big price tag. I see no reason for Columbus to move up in this instance.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I don't see much being offered to move up to 2 for the exact reason Chicago would be open to move it (not much separation between 2-7 or 8)

If I'm someone like MTL, I could see offer #5+ the Winnipeg pick, but that's the furthest I go. Any higher than I 'settle' for one of the other good F prospects and keep my assets

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Who knows. Very interesting scenarios for the teams after San Jose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad