German football season 2023/24

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gosens and Volland are no "depth". You know that. Union is serious in improving their team. What team, not named HOF, WOB or RB -with all the money behind them- has ever done this.
I am impressed.

We'll see about Volland...I wouldn't be shocked if he did come off the bench behind Becker & Fofana...whether because Behrens is the spear tip of our attack or we're sticking to last season's 3-5-2.

But yeah Gosens is a coup for us, with add-ons that could come close to doubling our record fee and reinforces the area where we most needed to bring someone in. Plus he should be a fantastic fit for us with his aerial presence.

Overall it's hard not to be happy with Ruhnert's work. This summer he's added Fofana, Volland, Kaufmann, Hollerbech, Aaronson, Kral, Tousart, & Schwolow. If he can wrap up Bonucci too, we'll be well set for the English weeks this season.

Becker - Behrens - Fofana
Gosens - Laïdouni - Khedira - Juranovic
Liete - Knoche - Doekhi
Rönnow

Aaronson - Hollerbech/Jordan/Kaufmann - Volland
Roussillon - Tousart/Schäfer - Kral/Haberer - Trimmel
Jaeckel - Bonucci - Heintz
Schwolow​

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Volland is really meh.

Volland isn't some superstar who will compete for the bDo, but he's a talented player who has started for plenty of CL-caliber teams in his career, and his physicality should fit our style of play very well.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Volland is really meh.
Maybe, but Cologne mascot "Hennes" the goat is more expensive, if you trade for him these days.

Attachments

• 1.-FC-Koeln-v-Borussia-Dortmund-Bundesliga-1568191966.jpg
    1.-FC-Koeln-v-Borussia-Dortmund-Bundesliga-1568191966.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You'll be disappointed with Volland.
Maybe he enjoyed the Riviera too much but he went from a guy with determination to a guy who just didn't care and was a ghost on the pitch.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You'll be disappointed with Volland.
Maybe he enjoyed the Riviera too much but he went from a guy with determination to a guy who just didn't care and was a ghost on the pitch.

Hopefully that changes. I'm not expecting him to start even if he busts his ass, but he could provide important depth if he bounces back for us.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I definitely don't see FCU bringing in a guy that's lazy or apathetic or who they're not 100% sure they'll get buy-in from.

...I mean we did bring the GOAT in before FC VW offered him a higher salary for 1.5 years than we paid to our entire roster, and no matter how much I love Max, he was definitely not giving 110% in turkey :laugh:

I don't expect a player to work out for us unless they're willing to bust their ass and continue doing so, but even Ruhnert makes mistakes at times and brings guys in who don't end up working out.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I'm not a fanboy or something, but a fee of 4m (plus 1.5m bonus maybe) is a joke for a player like Volland.
Even if he was lazy in Monaco he still managed to score something around 10/11 goals a season. He does ths since 2012.
Even if he regresses (he is 31yo) in my world this is a good deal. At least on paper.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
He hasn't scored 10 the last two years. Had 3 last year.
That's why he was cheap. The greenkeeper of Wolfsburg might cost more.

This says he averaged 10 goals per season in the past.
We all will witness what happens. I like what Union did here. At this price it's worth a try.
If the experiment fails he is no Mane disaster. He will simply sit on the bench.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure given the price, take your chance.
I'm just saying he won't amount to much given his recent play.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Worst home team last season and only behind a few teams in goals conceded?

Kane hat trick on debut.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Bayern should probably be able to do a lot more with all this possession against a team like this.

Bremen has been so bad at defending counter attacks that it would benefit Bayern if the game was a bit more back and forth to be honest.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bayern should probably be able to do a lot more with all this possession against a team like this.

Bremen has been so bad at defending counter attacks that it would benefit Bayern if the game was a bit more back and forth to be honest.
Still the same issue where they'll push up the field and then take a few too many extra touches and Bremen has then collapsed into a block there's no easy way through. Coman, Davies, etc... need to stop making the extra cutback and delaying the play.

Reactions: JoVel

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nice feed from Boniface for the opener. He was way out of our budget and Fofana has seemed to fit in great, but man would it have been cool if we had been able to afford Boniface for the Behrens role.

Boniface made a slick pass in the build up to the shot that lead to the corner they scored their 2nd from. Kid's really hitting the ground running and making the most of Schick's absence. Won't be surprised if he and Sesko are the top strikers in the BuLi by the end of this or next season.

Raum with a good delivery leads to the 1-2. Kossounou could've marked Olmo better on that corner.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Leverkusen aren't undeserved winners, but if Openda hadn't botched that sitter a 3-3 would've been fair. Wirtz scored a nice goal and Blaswich made a great save to stop Flo right before half-time.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Who thought this new Dortmund kit was a good idea?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad