Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XIX

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Injuries and call-ups robbed this team of reaching their potential. Nonetheless, the series could have gone either way...Hartford got the bounces and Providence didn't. A few thoughts:

-- Merkulov was by far the biggest disappointment in the playoffs. 0 goals, 3 assists (2 secondary) when his team needed him to step up his game. He was also on the ice for both OT goals.
-- McIsaac was a good soldier and played some tough minutes but Regula and Lohrei probably don't get their stick lifted by Adam Sykora (5'10", 179 lbs) in OT leading to the series winning goal.
-- Brunet was excellent tonight. He is so smart and smooth with the puck on his stick. He made some solid progress over the course of the season.
-- Lambert took 2 penalties tonight but he was flying once again and hit the post late in the 3rd. Hopefully they keep him around for next season.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Injuries and call-ups robbed this team of reaching their potential. Nonetheless, the series could have gone either way...Hartford got the bounces and Providence didn't. A few thoughts:

-- Merkulov was by far the biggest disappointment in the playoffs. 0 goals, 3 assists (2 secondary) when his team needed him to step up his game. He was also on the ice for both OT goals.
-- McIsaac was a good soldier and played some tough minutes but Regula and Lohrei probably don't get their stick lifted by Adam Sykora (5'10", 179 lbs) in OT leading to the series winning goal.
-- Brunet was excellent tonight. He is so smart and smooth with the puck on his stick. He made some solid progress over the course of the season.
-- Lambert took 2 penalties tonight but he was flying once again and hit the post late in the 3rd. Hopefully they keep him around for next season.
howd you feel about brunets physical/defensive play?

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
howd you feel about brunets physical/defensive play?
If physical play = throwing checks then it's non-existent. But it's also non-existent for Walsh, McIsaac, Lohrei, and half the forwards. That's just not his game.
If physical play = winning puck battles & outmuscling guys, I'd say he's at an acceptable level. It's probably never going to be his strong suit and he's gonna lose some battles but he doesn't get completely tossed around like maybe he did early in the season.
His defensive game is more predicated on anticipation and beating guys to pucks which I thought he got better and better at throughout the year. I don't recall too many defensive blunders over the last several weeks of the season...which, to me, is 75% of playing defense (avoiding unnecessary f*** ups). I continue to wish TOI was made available because it seemed like he got a good amount of ice time which would suggest he gained the coaches' trust (though could also be due to the lack of better options at the end of the year). Maybe I'll do a year-end report card for all players but Brunet was one of the bright spots amongst the youngsters this season.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
It's a shame Regula didn't get a sniff with the big club. Hopefully they re-up him.

And you already know I want Bussi back.
The Bruins might as well call up 20 players from Providence to play in game 5, just as a big FU to the Panthers and the NHL. I am so angry I can't even think straight! 😠

Reactions: bme44

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Who do we want to keep?
Hall and McIsaac RFA
Bussi RFA
Abate RFA

McLaughlin RFA
Callahan RFA
Mitchell RFA
Regula RFA
Steen Group 6 UFA