Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Agreed, Norris just isnt a puck distributer at all. He is made to be a winger.

Dont think this is going to happen. He is going to surround himself with a pretty big group of hockey ops that he will delegate to and trust but there wont be a new GM. The concept of a president and a GM doesnt make sense. Its essentially the same as GM with assistant GM's. I could see him hiring another assistant GM or promoting someone like Poulin.
I still think they are waiting on current season to be over. Maybe he keeps the GM role but I think they bring in 2 more senior guys.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I still think they are waiting on current season to be over. Maybe he keeps the GM role but I think they bring in 2 more senior guys.
Martin and Alfie I think will both be part of the management team. I think they get one more experienced guy.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Chychrun for futures and targeting a RD in the UFA market with the money. There are actually lots of them out there. You can go get a Geekie or Faksa in free agency easily, they are a dime a dozen player.

Yeah i can get behind this idea. Just be careful with the futures. Picks outside the first 15 are unlikely to become anything special (if anything at all), and a lot of top UFAs turn in to overpaid boat anchors.

I'd be targetting prospects that are improving each year but their teams have lost patience with them. Mittelstat, Ceci, Lazar, Reinhardt, tolvanen, jokiharju, brannstrom, domi, turris, etc., are all pretty good historical examples.

Similarly I'd be looking at lower round prospects that have made big jumps but aren't considered top prospects just due to draft position bias. A guy like Crookshank would be a good current example from our squad. Paul would have been the same after he turned it around in belleville (bingo?).

These two types of players are much more likely to be available on team friendly deals long term.

Get your stars through the draft and surround them with quality talent that is lacking hype or taking the scenic route to becoming effective NHLers.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah i can get behind this idea. Just be careful with the futures. Picks outside the first 15 are unlikely to become anything special (if anything at all), and a lot of top UFAs turn in to overpaid boat anchors.

I'd be targetting prospects that are improving each year but their teams have lost patience with them. Mittelstat, Ceci, Lazar, Reinhardt, tolvanen, jokiharju, brannstrom, domi, turris, etc., are all pretty good historical examples.

Similarly I'd be looking at lower round prospects that have made big jumps but aren't considered top prospects just due to draft position bias. A guy like Crookshank would be a good current example from our squad. Paul would have been the same after he turned it around in belleville (bingo?).

These two types of players are much more likely to be available on team friendly deals long term.

Get your stars through the draft and surround them with quality talent that is lacking hype or taking the scenic route to becoming effective NHLers.
This team has a bottom of the barrel prospect pool it needs to be replenished, they need to take as many shots as they can. This is a small market team the only way to have sustainable success is drafting and developing. If they can get a late first for Chychrun or two seconds id do it. Cap space is an asset and not many teams are going to have it even with the increase in the cap. There are only so many spots.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This team has a bottom of the barrel prospect pool it needs to be replenished, they need to take as many shots as they can. This is a small market team the only way to have sustainable success is drafting and developing. If they can get a late first for Chychrun or two seconds id do it. Cap space is an asset and not many teams are going to have it even with the increase in the cap. There are only so many spots.
Chychrun for a late 1st is too little, in my opinion.

Reactions: NB613 and Relapsing

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Be prepared to be disappointed if he is dealt for futures, it won’t be much more.
We'll see, i guess.

But a late 1st is junk. A team could trade for him at the 2024 draft and recoup that or more next deadline.

It won't be that low.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chychrun for a late 1st is too little, in my opinion.
They cant go into next season with Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun and Brannstrom on the left side again. There just isnt enough ice time, his value only gets lower and lower. They need the money to sign someone that fills a need. Cap space is the asset. I dont know if he is returning much more than that, he was horrible last year. Id like more too of course but he is a UFA to be if they trade him with an extension he will get more but I cant see a team commiting to him long term. He's been an issue now with two organizations moving on from him. Frankly hasnt been very good. All they got for Debrincat was a late first, UFA's to be just arent worth much.

We'll see, i guess.

But a late 1st is junk. A team could trade for him at the 2024 draft and recoup that or more next deadline.

It won't be that low.
There is no way he wasnt being shopped at the last deadline, dont think anyone was moving that much more if that much at all for him.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think the Senators want to make a hockey trade with Chychrun rather than just get futures., and that probably played into him not moving at the deadline.

Reactions: Loach and Blotto71

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think Ehlers has alot more value than Chychrun
I don’t think so. Ehlers like Chychrun has 1 year left. Ehlers like Chychrun are injury plagued. 1 is a scoring winger, 1 is a top 4 D. I’d say Chychrun has more value.

Reactions: BigRig4

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't think Ullmark is unrealistic, so long as people aren't expecting an extension.

Why would Staois do that? I think Sens are looking for stability and not recurring problems

The asset managers will hate this but I’d like Staios to use 2 or 3 of his 4th round picks to acquire pending UFAs for some exclusive negotiating time.

Taking a page out of the Tim Murray “how to never GM in the NHL again” playbook

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Why would Staois do that? I think Sens are looking for stability and not recurring problems

Taking a page out of the Tim Murray “how to never GM in the NHL again” playbook
If the cost is low bringing him in for a year wouldn’t be the worst thing, as he at least can stabilize the group. I don’t see it happening anyway - we are likely on Ullmark’s no trade and I don’t think he’d waive without an extension or the promise of one.

But the reality is with Korpisalo on the books, I think there’s probably a lot of hesitation to take on an expensive goaltender with term. If both don’t perform, you’re kind of screwed for years. Ullmark is going to be expensive and that contract likely ends up going into his late thirties.

Between Garrioch talking about bringing in a different back-up to replace Forsberg, and also saying they’re hoping Sogaard can push for a spot at camp, I think the Sens are going to go for a less expensive goalie and basically hope one of the three can step up or they can all be solid.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Ehlers has alot more value than Chychrun
Why?

D are generally more valuable that wingers.
Chychrun is younger
both have 1 year until UFA
Chychrun has a better contract currently.
40pts as a D vs 60 pts as a forward this year.
Neither known for great defensive play, both excellent offensively.
Both have the same 10 team NTC

I think the big thing is we are looking to move Chychrun, Jets have no real need to move Ehlers, so we'll likely accept less just to get it done with,

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just move Chychrun for whatever futures you can get.

The team has squandered four 1sts and what, five or six 2nds from 2021-2025/6, they need to replenish their pool, which is an absolutely insane thing to realize in year 8 of a rebuild.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just move Chychrun for whatever futures you can get.

The team has squandered four 1sts and what, five or six 2nds from 2021-2025/6, they need to replenish their pool, which is an absolutely insane thing to realize in year 8 of a rebuild.
I think we try to make a hockey trade with him, it would have been hard do that at the deadline with any teams still fighting for the playoffs, which is why I think we held off.

If we can flip him for a goalie like Ulmark or Saros, it's a no brainer imo, but a solid middle six guy might work too, Like the reverse of the Foligno for Methot trade.

I think Chychrun holds more value among GMs than Sens fans, we soured on him quick in a disappointing year for the team but top 4 D with skating and size are still attractive players across the league.

We won't get 12oa and a couple 2nds back for him, but I think we can get something better than just a late first if we are willing to take contracts back instead of futures..

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think we try to make a hockey trade with him, it would have been hard do that at the deadline with any teams still fighting for the playoffs, which is why I think we held off.

If we can flip him for a goalie like Ulmark or Saros, it's a no brainer imo, but a solid middle six guy might work too, Like the reverse of the Foligno for Methot trade.

I think Chychrun holds more value among GMs than Sens fans, we soured on him quick in a disappointing year for the team but top 4 D with skating and size are still attractive players across the league.

We won't get 12oa and a couple 2nds back for him, but I think we can get something better than just a late first if we are willing to take contracts back instead of futures..
Would be great if we could.

I'm very doubtful, on his value among GM's and what we will recieve, but definitely hopeful you're right

Can't see us getting anyone we want in return for him.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would be great if we could.

I'm very doubtful, on his value among GM's and what we will recieve, but definitely hopeful you're right
It's hard to be optimistic with how often we've been bent over in the past... but I'm holding out faith that our lack of success had a lot to do with leverage factors that may no longer exist, like excessively limiting trade clauses, unwillingness to take back contracts, and acting last minute instead of with some wiggle room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad