GDT: Free Agency 2020, Part III - Hockey is back! Regular season to begin January 13th 2021

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Anytime I hear too much AL talk, Denny talk, Knight talk, or any other Panther prospects in general, I like to watch this video. If you haven't seen it, enjoy. OT is coming! :yo:

Last edited:
Reactions: 16Skippy

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario

Anytime I here too much AL talk, Denny talk, Knight talk, or any other Panther prospects in general, I like to watch this video. If you haven't seen it, enjoy. OT is coming! :yo:

As long as Q gives him a real chance and doesn’t stick him on the 4th line.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
As long as Q gives him a real chance and doesn’t stick him on the 4th line.
I don't see why he would do that.

Although saying that, OT is quite defensively responsible now these days. His the last year Junior Panthers really wanted him to do that, and he responded positively. Mason was on his team in Saginaw. Saw him play a bunch then.

Last year the Panthers wanted him to get accustomed to the Pro game. I'd say he did that quite admirably, leading the team in points, despite missing the last month with a wrist injury.

In normal times, there would be a season going on right now, and he would be on the team. Probably halfway to a Calder Trophy. :D

It's tough because since February OT has no games or nothing to go off of. Just hope.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Anytime I here too much AL talk, Denny talk, Knight talk, or any other Panther prospects in general, I like to watch this video. If you haven't seen it, enjoy. OT is coming! :yo:

Think you just love the song in the video :laugh:
And to think that's a couple years ago.
He has that deceiving speed for a 6'1 guy, takes a bit to get going but once he does, he's agile and intimidating with his ability to skate quickly in open space.
And solid on his skates, big legs/thighs like Barkov.
I'm confident he will be a good complimentary top 6 guy with either Barkov or with Lundell when he gets some NHL experience in.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Think you just love the song in the video :laugh:
And to think that's a couple years ago.
He has that deceiving speed for a 6'1 guy, takes a bit to get going but once he does, he's agile and intimidating with his ability to skate quickly in open space.
And solid on his skates, big legs/thighs like Barkov.
I'm confident he will be a good complimentary top 6 guy with either Barkov or with Lundell when he gets some NHL experience in.
That's spinarama he does that 1:08 is magical. Who does that?!

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
With Saarela not coming over(at least right away)

not anytime soon. Lukko announced on Saturday evening that the player signed 'til end of this season. According to Saarela it wouldn't have been fair to himself or to Lukko to wait until the last date for an opportunity to go to the NHL. So it seems like Florida didn't make him a good offer.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
not anytime soon. Lukko announced on Saturday evening that the player signed 'til end of this season. According to Saarela it wouldn't have been fair to himself or to Lukko to wait until the last date for an opportunity to go to the NHL. So it seems like Florida didn't make him a good offer.

NHL minimum is 3-5 times more than he will make in Finland

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
NHL minimum is 3-5 times more than he will make in Finland
Yeah, it's rarely about money and Saarela hasn't done enough to warrant a 1-way contract (unless it's with term on year 2, which then again makes no sense for Saarela if he's banking on becoming an NHL regular). I don't blame him for many reasons:

1) Increased competition. Some will say that "well if he can't handle competing, he didn't deserve a spot in the first place" and while that is true, Saarela's NHL future is at stake here. He's right around the age where Europeans make it, or become career KHLers.

2) Taxi squad. It's a potential career killer for a young player.

3) Corona is still a thing. The season is going to be weird and more than likely to include problems, staying close to home isn't a bad option at a time like this.

and 4) Expansion draft. This can affect on many different levels. Does someone challenging Saarela's spot get taken? Could Saarela be used as a piece to make a deal with Seattle?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Take a look at these stats: Q's second year at Chicago won the cup. Bobrovsky won the Vezina 2013. Four years later 2017 won the Vezina, four years later....2021. Maybey we have a surprising season? :sarcasm:

If I was a betting man, I'd place a bet that Bob bounces back this season. He's way too good a goalie and has way too much pride in his craft to go out like that.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah, it's rarely about money and Saarela hasn't done enough to warrant a 1-way contract (unless it's with term on year 2, which then again makes no sense for Saarela if he's banking on becoming an NHL regular). I don't blame him for many reasons:

1) Increased competition. Some will say that "well if he can't handle competing, he didn't deserve a spot in the first place" and while that is true, Saarela's NHL future is at stake here. He's right around the age where Europeans make it, or become career KHLers.

3) Corona is still a thing. The season is going to be weird and more than likely to include problems, staying close to home isn't a bad option at a time like this.

and 4) Expansion draft. This can affect on many different levels. Does someone challenging Saarela's spot get taken? Could Saarela be used as a piece to make a deal with Seattle?
All good points, but #3 is especially the unusual wild card - Saarela can always use that as a reason and no one can really argue against that, and this he can mostly avoid the “you missed the boat” charges.

Reactions: SoupyFIN

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

Anytime I hear too much AL talk, Denny talk, Knight talk, or any other Panther prospects in general, I like to watch this video. If you haven't seen it, enjoy. OT is coming! :yo:

Tippett reminds me a lot of a young Jeremy Roenick but with less edge to his game. Both have similar movement on the ice and great puck handling ability. Excited to see this kid in action on a regular basis.

Reactions: Cold Cat

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If I was a betting man, I'd place a bet that Bob bounces back this season. He's way too good a goalie and has way too much pride in his craft to go out like that.
Yup, of course he’s gonna bounce back. He didn’t become a top goalie by luck.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

It must kind of suck for him to be honest: he was just about to make the jump in March and then the league shut down. That game against St. Louis must have been a big confidence builder then boom.

I think the big thing is this: if Florida loses a top 9 forward in the draft then he has a good chance of returning. If not I’m not sure

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
If the defensive play is better in front of him, Bob will be much better this season. If he can trust the players in front of him he can settle down and just focus on the puck. Much of Bob’s struggles, imo, stemmed from him having one eye on the puck and the other on the guy standing all alone waiting for the pass. He was trying to be Superman, but often would get caught leaning and beat, or ended up flopping around trying to recover, as Reimer often did the previous year

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It must kind of suck for him to be honest: he was just about to make the jump in March and then the league shut down. That game against St. Louis must have been a big confidence builder then boom.

I think the big thing is this: if Florida loses a top 9 forward in the draft then he has a good chance of returning. If not I’m not sure

Even if we do lose a top 9 forward, the competition is only gonna be harder in 21-22 camp. Lundell will be there I can only assume, Denisenko likely cements himself as a full time.nhler, Tippett is most likely already a full time nhler, Luostarinen will have a real good shot to make the team, Lammikko might be in the mix again, Lomberg will still be under contract. Saarela is really hurting his future with the Panthers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad