GDT: Free Agency 2020, Part II - Dadonov signs with Sens, Hoffman still available, Weegar on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Part I

Goalie market looks about done, but plenty of d-men and forwards still available.

Hoffman, Dadonov, Granlund, Duclair, Galchenyuk, Haula, etc.

Vatanen, Hamonic, Chara and Panthers legend Kulikov.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
All the UFA moves have been depth moves. I am sure 1 of Dadonov/Hoffman will be back and a 2C hopefully brought in. Zito just changed the depth pieces around and the top line and 1st defense pair is pretty much intact, which I'm cool with, but if they underachieve this year, time for major changes and not Hinistroza for Wallmark type moves.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I would loved to land Schmidt for a 3rd and then move Weegar for Roslovic +

Then somehow dump Stralman

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
All the UFA moves have been depth moves. I am sure 1 of Dadonov/Hoffman will be back and a 2C hopefully brought in. Zito just changed the depth pieces around and the top line and 1st defense pair is pretty much intact, which I'm cool with, but if they underachieve this year, time for major changes and not Hinistroza for Wallmark type moves.
I wouldn't be opposed to signing Granlund, if Dadonov and Hoffman sign elsewhere or want too much term. As long as Q plays him on the wing.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Really want Dadonov back at this point. Was watching his highlights from last season. He is just lethal from the slot.

Losing him and Hoffman is a recipe for disaster. The offense is too barren without at least one of them.

Hinostroza and Wennberg each had 5 goals last season, Verhaeghe had 9 (3 of which came in one game).

We essentially have TWO 20 goal scorers in Barkov and Huby (can't count on Acciari hitting 20 again and Hornqvist is an unknown). Connolly MIGHT be good for 20 but that's a best case scenario.

Neither of the defensemen we picked up are offensively gifted at all.

Again, I'm not panicking by any means, I just see what has left and what is coming in. Yes we are better defensively, but by how much? Are we 60-70 goals better defensively? Holy fly f*** no chance we are.

Zito still has a mountain of work ahead of him, this team is top 10 draft pick as it stands right now, if not worse.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
My wishlist throughout the offseason:

Re-sign Hoffman (Plan A) / Resign Dadonov (Plan B)
Re-sign Weegar long term
Re-sign Pysyk for cheap at 4RW
Keep Borgstrom in North America
Dump Matheson
Dump Yandle
Dump Connolly
Dump Sceviour
Sign Wennberg
Sign Verhaeghe
Trade for Hornqvist

Trade for Blueger
Acquire a bottom 4 D for minimal cost
Acquire a 2C

In conclusion, I give Zito an A- thus far with only room to improve

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Hoffman want very much so
Dadonov want
Granlund don't want
Duclair hope we don't get
Galchenyuk hope we don't get
Haula hope we don't keep
Vatanen would have liked him, not anymore though
Hamonic don't want
Chara don't want
Kulikov would have taken him back, not anymore though

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Kahun could be nice if we fail to get Dadonov back and want to roll a bunch of 2.5 lines.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Apparently Elliotte Friedman on his 31 Thoughts podcast (Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca around 58:15) claims the Panthers asked for Johnsson and Dermott in a trade for Weegar. Seems like Toronto went with Brodie so Weegar won't be going there. Also says a lot of teams are interested in Weegar (he mentions Colorado (who just got Toews), Boston, Anaheim and Winnipeg).

I'm fine it didn't go down as I don't like either of those guys. Johnsson was just traded for an AHLer so wtf?

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Apparently Elliotte Friedman claims the Panthers asked for Johnsson and Dermott in a trade for Weegar.

I'm fine it didn't go down as I don't like either of those guys. Johnsson was just traded for an AHLer so wtf?
Do you have the link? It seems weird

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Apparently Elliotte Friedman on his 31 Thoughts podcast (Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca around 58:15) claims the Panthers asked for Johnsson and Dermott in a trade for Weegar. Seems like Toronto went with Brodie so Weegar won't be going there. Also says a lot of teams are interested in Weegar (he mentions Colorado (who just got Toews), Boston, Anaheim and Winnipeg).

That's kind of awful without knowing the rest of the story

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

I don't think that's terrible, depending on what Dermott's potential is. If Weegar is only going to take a one year deal and then test the market, it would be beneficial to trade him when there is still hope for a receiving team to sign him for longer.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

That would have been Zito's first bad trade. Would have made Toronto pretty good, and our D would be terrible, plus I'd much rather have Dadonov/Hoff than Johnsson.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't think that's terrible, depending on what Dermott's potential is. If Weegar is only going to take a one year deal and then test the market, it would be beneficial to trade him when there is still hope for a receiving team to sign him for longer.

Dermott is just a depth piece, as much as Leafs fan like to talk him up. His upside is a #5. Pass. Rather just keep Weegar for the year if that's what he gets in arbitration, or trade him for something better.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Dermott is another mystery box who's yet to solidify his role.

Who's playing with Ekblad if we did that trade, Nutivaara? Yikes.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Zito isn't going to give Weegar away for nothing. And if he does get traded it will most likely be for a forward or sent off somewhere for picks to clear space to sign a bigger name UFA or take one back via a trade. Have confidence in Zito.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
This could also be one of those cases where you don't really know whether Friedman is speculating, or referring to actual information he's heard. "I think Florida offered" doesn't sound as convincing as "a source told me that Florida's offer was".

Zito isn't going to give Weegar away for nothing. And if he does get traded it will most likely be for a forward or sent off somewhere for picks to clear space to sign a bigger name UFA or take one back via a trade. Have confidence in Zito.
There isn't anyone left on the UFA d-men market to fill a big role. Vatanen is a 2nd pairing guy and injury prone, and Hamonic doesn't play LD + from what I've read has regressed quite fast from his NYI years.

God forbid...Yandle??
239.gif

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

So maybe those Leaf fans were closer to the truth after all....

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
This could also be one of those cases where you don't really know whether Friedman is speculating, or referring to actual information he's heard. "I think Florida offered" doesn't sound as convincing as "a source told me that Florida's offer was".

There isn't anyone left on the UFA d-men market to fill a big role. Vatanen is a 2nd pairing guy and injury prone, and Hamonic doesn't play LD + from what I've read has regressed quite fast from his NYI years.

239.gif
Or when it was discussed...perhaps before Gudas and assuming Schmidt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad