Confirmed with Link: Forsling signed 8 years!!! Only 5.75 million AAV!!!

MaWa

Oct 18, 2015
I'm sorry, I still like the guy, but you have to separate the fact that he's still a quality defenseman from the fact that his leg injuries keep piling up year after year.

I think at this point it's very reasonable to question whether or not he can even stay healthy for even one season. Forsling is a better player, much better at protecting himself and staying healthy, and just took 5.75m annually.

Ekblad isn't getting 6m/8y.

His injuries are not related to his durability at all. All people in the world would have broken leg same way as he had if they fall on it same way he did in Dallas. Forsling would be no exception. I would even say EKs healing process was very fast compared to others. His other injuries were very similar in that way. He is just extremely unlucky.
Also, its nice and all that Forsling took that team friendly deal, but the thing is...where will you find another top pair defensemen who will be willing to sign for less than 6mil per year long term ?
And if you wont find anybody, what would you do ?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
His injuries are not related to his durability at all.

I completely disagree. Everyone's body is a little bit different. Things like bone density, ligament flexibility, etc. can vary a great deal even between two athletes of similar ages who compete in the same sport. Some guys are also just better at protecting themselves.

When player A frequently suffers lower body injuries, and player B very rarely suffers lower body injuries, that's not something you should just dismiss as luck or circumstance.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Were definitely better with him on the ice, however im not in favor of paying him a lot at the expense of the rest of the team given its not a guarantee he can be on the ice. Given his age, his injury issues arent going to get better.
Hes a warrior (played with a lot of injuries in the playoffs) and a career panther and id want him on the team, but not at the numbers hed probably want.

With how our scouting dept is and Zitos eye/magic im sure we can work out a replacement if it comes to that.

1710428041533.png

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
No disrespect to Ekblad. He's a solid defender when he's on the ice. But as others have pointed out, he's very injury prone.

No way that I can see him getting a long term contract from the Panthers. 3 years max. Zito would be wise to trade him while his value is high, same as he did with Huberdeau.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I'm sorry, I still like the guy, but you have to separate the fact that he's still a quality defenseman from the fact that his leg injuries keep piling up year after year.

I think at this point it's very reasonable to question whether or not he can even stay healthy for even one season. Forsling is a better player, much better at protecting himself and staying healthy, and just took 5.75m annually.

Ekblad isn't getting 6m/8y.
We should be going 3 years max with Ekblad, and he should understand why.

Also why would he be in line for as much or more money? I don't see why anyone thinks Ekblad is so greedy, he wants to be here, I think.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
No disrespect to Ekblad. He's a solid defender when he's on the ice. But as others have pointed out, he's very injury prone.

No way that I can see him getting a long term contract from the Panthers. 3 years max. Zito would be wise to trade him while his value is high, same as he did with Huberdeau.
I am more concerned with his concussion history than any of the leg injuries he has had much more recently. I think we can work out a team friendly situation with Ek, if not someone will overpay for him via trade.

Reactions: MaWa

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Give Ek's money to OEL, I'm sure you can sign him for 5 million or less. There's a stop gap for a few years at least.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Give Ek's money to OEL, I'm sure you can sign him for 5 million or less. There's a stop gap for a few years at least.
Love OEL too but he is even older with even more wear on the tires than Ekblad, Oliver is much more effective lower in the lineup IMO. That would just accelerate the timeframe needing to find another #1.

If Ekblad goes I would like to add a piece and get a better player, this person would be in line for Ekblads money or more on a long term deal. Its a dicey situation, many ways it could play out.

I dont see Zito subtracting that piece without a firm plan in place.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Shane Malloy on hockey prospects radio said Bjornfot has the potential to be the most impactful trade deadline move this season.

He said Bjornfot could be another Forsling

Reactions: Ghoste

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Love OEL too but he is even older with even more wear on the tires than Ekblad, Oliver is much more effective lower in the lineup IMO. That would just accelerate the timeframe needing to find another #1.

If Ekblad goes I would like to add a piece and get a better player, this person would be in line for Ekblads money or more on a long term deal. Its a dicey situation, many ways it could play out.

I dont see Zito subtracting that piece without a firm plan in place.

OEL still has footspeed though. Not saying sign him for five years but he should be ok the next two now that he has found his game. I think he has a lot of chemistry with Forsling and was a top pairing guy in Arizona too, it's mostly a fit thing. In a perfect world he plays in the second pairing.

But Zito is five moves ahead of this type of talk so not worried. If he can sign Ekblad to a similar contract like Forsling then I have no problem, if not then he probably has another option in mind.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I'm going to be very curious to see what happens with Hanifin in free agency. I believe he's an obvious piece for Zito to go after and might dictate what happens with Ekblad and even Montour

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Hanifin just turned down 7m x 8y from Vegas (allegedly), so I don't think he's going to be in the Panthers' price range. I understand he is good friends with Matthew Tkachuk, so unless he turned that contract down specifically looking to come here in the off-season (which seems like a reach), then yeah, I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Reactions: MaWa

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Ekblad's already made his money, he's made a live in Florida and is finally on a competitive team. He'll take a discount to stay. He'll sign for $6M AAV, just don't know if that's 6 or 8 years.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Hanifin just turned down 7m x 8y from Vegas (allegedly), so I don't think he's going to be in the Panthers' price range. I understand he is good friends with Matthew Tkachuk, so unless he turned that contract down specifically looking to come here in the off-season (which seems like a reach), then yeah, I certainly wouldn't count on it.
Hanifin is a LHD Ekblad and Montour are both RHDs

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Ekblad's already made his money, he's made a live in Florida and is finally on a competitive team. He'll take a discount to stay. He'll sign for $6M AAV, just don't know if that's 6 or 8 years.
Ekblad knows he is losing his airplane if he leaves :laugh:

It honestly sounds so important to him. He piloted the plane that he and his wife took to their honeymoon.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If that’s true then maybe he really is hell bent on signing in Tampa, even if it means for less. If that’s the case then screw him

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Until we know what happens with Reinhart and Montour, it’s hard to say what to do with the 2025 UFAs. Knight could be on the move this offseason potentially, goalies will be in hot demand.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
If that’s true then maybe he really is hell bent on signing in Tampa, even if it means for less. If that’s the case then screw him

Hanifin allegedly turned down 8.5m/8 from the Flames. He's also allegedly turned down 7m/8 from the Knights. If those are both true (and tbh I have no specific reason to doubt the reports), then my guess is he really does have a specific destination in mind, and we will find out this summer.

I also think that if he signs a team-friendly deal with a team like the Lightning, there will be some accusations of tampering and they should probably be careful about how they handle it.

Reactions: FrolikFan67

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I don't know why Hanafin would want to go to Tampa so badly. They are heading into a rebuild in the next few years.

Stamkos is 34, Hedman is 33, and Kucherov is 30. Those guys are a huge part of the Lightning core and, in hockey years, will be slowing down soon. Hanifin is only 27 so when he's in his early 30's it's rebuild time.

Reactions: KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Ekblad is 28yo. I would take Ek where the total deal is max about $28M, and max salary is $7M and max years is 7. So the range would be $7M x 4yrs to $4M x 7yrs. Therefore something like $5.5M x 5yrs would be a fit.

Even that sounds a bit too much though TBH. I’d much rather have $7M x 3yrs than $7M x 4yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad