Podcast (Audio) Former NHL Refeere Tim Peel Discusses the Rangers overturned goal

Khall9

Apr 28, 2021
Former 20+ year NHL Referee Tim Peel explains the ruling on Chytil's disallowed goal and what the officials and Toronto saw on the play. He also talks about the call on Lindgren and the bad call on Trouba to put the Rangers in a 5-on-3 situation.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don’t have a problem with the call on trouba if it were at ES (though the Pens got away with plenty of shit at ES that could have been whistled. Matheson in particular is guilty of obstruction on almost every shift.)

What I have a problem with is that it was called while the pens already had a PP. it almost always takes something completely overboard, especially in the playoffs to generate a 5 on 3 unless we’re talking delay of game. Strome was egregiously hooked on the Rangers lone PP (by carter, I think) and it went uncalled. It was basically a life line thrown to Pitt in response to the Rangers scoring SH.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
This is the piece of garbage that was fixing games and got caught.

All these refs fix games, they just haven't been caught yet.
Ive said a million times already. The betting apps have made the reffing substantially worse. I dunno if its bc they want more scoring or wanting certain teams to win ? But the introduction of these apps have not been good.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Ive said a million times already. The betting apps have made the reffing substantially worse. I dunno if its bc they want more scoring or wanting certain teams to win ? But the introduction of these apps have not been good.
The correlation is astounding and so obvious. I don't understand how this hasn't caught on to more people.

Gambling is bad. It's worse when the leagues allow it, it completely undermines the legitimacy of the games.

After last night's game, if I were an NHL exec I would be rallying for a serious investigation into these refs and the league. Obviously they won't make the bets themselves but their friends and family can.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

In theory, the presence of gambling should drive the NHL to improve officiating.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If we are going to say the refs (who do make mistakes) fixed the game for the games we lose then we will have to hold the same standard when other teams say the refs fixed the game so a NY team can win.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
does anyone think this was retribution for the Dolan letter after the Tom Wilson shit last season? i had a bad feeling they would wait to screw us at an opportune moment like this ever since that day.

Reactions: Go Rangers

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I think fans confuse incompetence with a thought out plan.

Look at MLB umps. The strike zone is a rumor.

Officiating stinks. They are people who are effected by score and situation. It’s not a conspiracy.
COuldn't agree more and I have had this discussion with fans of teams I support when they get worked up over calls not going our way. Incompetence is by FAR the largest driver of poor calls, not conspiracies against a particular team.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
COuldn't agree more and I have had this discussion with fans of teams I support when they get worked up over calls not going our way. Incompetence is by FAR the largest driver of poor calls, not conspiracies against a particular team.
I am not a ref, nor a fan of any of them, but incompetence might be going a bit too far.

Yes it's their job to get it right... but it's certainly a tough job, happens at full speed in real time and a thankless job regardless of their call.

We have all watched enough slow-mo, HD and now SUPER SLOW 4K replays to yell and scream at that "Awful call!!!"

Sometimes, in real time... they just miss them or get them wrong. Sometimes it might be incompetence. Sometimes a grudge or make up call. Either way, it's just the human factor.

Until we have robots doing it no one will be 100% happy about the officiating... and even then I guarantee there will be issues.

That being said, it always seems to happen FOR THE PENS :laugh:

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
If we are going to say the refs (who do make mistakes) fixed the game for the games we lose then we will have to hold the same standard when other teams say the refs fixed the game so a NY team can win.
I have no doubt we were benefactors in some fixed calls.

Is it incompetence and "just missing calls" when you don't call routine icing like 3 to 4 times in a row in one period, all for the same team?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I don’t have a problem with the call on trouba if it were at ES (though the Pens got away with plenty of shit at ES that could have been whistled. Matheson in particular is guilty of obstruction on almost every shift.)

What I have a problem with is that it was called while the pens already had a PP. it almost always takes something completely overboard, especially in the playoffs to generate a 5 on 3 unless we’re talking delay of game. Strome was egregiously hooked on the Rangers lone PP (by carter, I think) and it went uncalled. It was basically a life line thrown to Pitt in response to the Rangers scoring SH.
Exactly. That call being made while Pittsburgh was already on the PP in a playoff game was completely absurd to me.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I can see the Sports Betting agencies making a stink about 'Game Management'.

Refs trying to keep a game close could f*** with over/unders. While its not 'fixing' games, you cant let officials try to steer games into desired outcomes ("even" 4-2 games, prevent 6-1's with unbalanced penalties) because thats not something that can be factored into betting odds.

Reactions: ujju2

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I am not a ref, nor a fan of any of them, but incompetence might be going a bit too far.

Yes it's their job to get it right... but it's certainly a tough job, happens at full speed in real time and a thankless job regardless of their call.

We have all watched enough slow-mo, HD and now SUPER SLOW 4K replays to yell and scream at that "Awful call!!!"

Sometimes, in real time... they just miss them or get them wrong. Sometimes it might be incompetence. Sometimes a grudge or make up call. Either way, it's just the human factor.

Until we have robots doing it no one will be 100% happy about the officiating... and even then I guarantee there will be issues.

That being said, it always seems to happen FOR THE PENS :laugh:
If not incompetence it’s SOMETHING when they decide not to call anything.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I can see the Sports Betting agencies making a stink about 'Game Management'.

Refs trying to keep a game close could f*** with over/unders. While its not 'fixing' games, you cant let officials try to steer games into desired outcomes ("even" 4-2 games, prevent 6-1's with unbalanced penalties) because thats not something that can be factored into betting odds.

It certainly can be factored in. You just need to look at historical trends.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Does the OP post anything other than ads for his podcast to drive traffic? Contribute much?

Reactions: Chytilmania

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Sports betting has been legal in multiple states for years the world does not revolve around New York allowing mobile betting
Yeah but when did the nhl get sponsored by betting apps? It lines up with the decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad