Post-Game Talk: Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
If you’re of the opinion that Rempe fighting someone is the deterrent than you’re missing the mark. The reality is, he is a young freak of nature who isn’t ready for this league and not only doesn’t know how to use his body safely but is treated like a rockstar for it. He has injured 3 players in like his first 5 games. He’s unpredictable and teams know this and plan accordingly.

Listening to the players scream out in warning when this psycho comes barreling in on the forecheck speaks volumes.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If you’re of the opinion that Rempe fighting someone is the deterrent than you’re missing the mark. The reality is, he is a young freak of nature who isn’t ready for this league and not only doesn’t know how to use his body safely but is treated like a rockstar for it. He has injured 3 players in like his first 5 games. He’s unpredictable and teams know this and plan accordingly.

Listening to the players scream out in warning when this psycho comes barreling in on the forecheck speaks volumes.

Is the bolded supposed to be a negative? After a lifetime of seeing our guys running from psychos, Im not about to start apologizing for ours. Other teams should be scared.

Last edited:

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
So are we now thinking that the Islanders went after Mika because of the Palmiere play earlier?

Reactions: AirGut

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Here's one thing that stuck out to me in the stats for last night's game: the Kreider-Zibanejad-Roslovic line had 7:30 of 5v5 ice time and managed to generated only 0.02 xG while the Trocheck line generated 0.75 xG in nearly 13 minutes, the Goodrow line generated 0.49 xG in 7:50, and the Wennberg line genreated 0.27 xG in 10 minutes. To put that in perspective, in one 30 second shift, Vesey, Brodzinski, and Kakko generated more in terms of xG (0.025) than an entire game from one of our top lines.

The Zibanejad line also did not give up much in terms of xGA, and they looked pretty solid in their own end, so it was just low-event hockey when they were on the ice. I'd take that from my 4th line, but I'd expect more from one of my top 2 lines.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

Just how do you plan for the unpredictable? hahaha.

And yes, hearing players scream out in warning as he comes barreling in speaks volumes: They're intimidated, he's EFFECTIVE.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Here's one thing that stuck out to me in the stats for last night's game: the Kreider-Zibanejad-Roslovic line had 7:30 of 5v5 ice time and managed to generated only 0.02 xG while the Trocheck line generated 0.75 xG in nearly 13 minutes, the Goodrow line generated 0.49 xG in 7:50, and the Wennberg line genreated 0.27 xG in 10 minutes. To put that in perspective, in one 30 second shift, Vesey, Brodzinski, and Kakko generated more in terms of xG (0.025) than an entire game from one of our top lines.

The Zibanejad line also did not give up much in terms of xGA, and they looked pretty solid in their own end, so it was just low-event hockey when they were on the ice. I'd take that from my 4th line, but I'd expect more from one of my top 2 lines.

Roslovic stinks sadly. it was a worthwhile gamble but I dont expect him to make a difference in the playoffs. I think we will see Lavi consistently playing a second center on Mika & Kreider's line in the Dzone and Panarin on their wing in the D zone late in games. Of course with some Vesey sprinkled in with them.

Chytil is a perfect fit on that line as a guy who can handle the puck and create offense. he is missed.

He’ll no, it’s hilarious. I love the kid.

Haha fair enough I read it differently. And you're right that Rempe isnt a deterrent. I personally don't want him to be. I want him to be the retaliation.

Reactions: Kords

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
So are we now thinking that the Islanders went after Mika because of the Palmiere play earlier?
I think so, for the Islanders that game last night was all about sending messages, anyone who thinks otherwise isn't looking at the bigger picture here. By the end of the night it was back & forth muck all the way through. Rangers went into it way too gentlemanly to start.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Roslovic makes a difference when he consistently uses his speed and disrupts on the forecheck.

He's got a good shot but he hasnt really carried the puck like he did with Columbus, like with any RW on that line they become complimentary to the bromance and those two play catch and drag the RW down, knowingly or not.

For him to be effective on the line he needs to be the guy he was the first couple of games he was here after the trade. Sitting back, being passive, mishandling the puck, looking for the perfect play, lanes or pass isnt going help that line (or any line for that matter, but especially Mikas).

He hasnt been great but if the coaching staff can get him to use his speed correctly and get his ass back checking with authority the rest should take of itself. They dont need him to play outside of himself, just stretch the zones for the other two.

Reactions: egelband

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Pelech better watch our or Rempe might fight Martin.

It's always been that way. Their "identity" line made a career out of hitting guys in vulnerable positions. Islanders were looking to hurt our guys the entire game because they were pissed off about the Zibanejad "slewfoot" on Palmieri and Cuylle finishing his check on that spaz Horvat at the end of the 2nd, who shouldve been penalized for roughing. Pelech going right after Fox in the scrum tipped their hand. Dont tell the Islanders about the slewfoot on Roslovic in front of their net and Vesey having his skates taken out by Varlamov as a point shot was coming in.
But it was NOT an important game. Stop recognizing the Isles as anything more than a shit team trying to hang on in a bloated NHL playoff structure.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Roslovic stinks sadly. it was a worthwhile gamble but I dont expect him to make a difference in the playoffs. I think we will see Lavi consistently playing a second center on Mika & Kreider's line in the Dzone and Panarin on their wing in the D zone late in games. Of course with some Vesey sprinkled in with them.

Chytil is a perfect fit on that line as a guy who can handle the puck and create offense. he is missed.
They promptly posted numbers in the 60's and 70's the other night in their one game with Vesey.

They have their flaws but Roslovic has taken a line that's mildly frustrating and turned them into a line that's just plain bad.

As you alluded to, I understood the gamble, but we need to explore other internal options in the playoffs.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yes, no balls to make the correct call late in the game. I don't give a shit if he's a rookie or not. That obvious penalty is called in practically every situation except when a team is pushing in the last 30 seconds of the game. If the game was in the 1st, 2nd, or early in the 3rd that penalty is called 100% of the time. How many times are penalties not called in close games late in the game when they should be?
Like I said, It is possible he was looking up at the netting and missed it. In that spot his focus is on the puck and the hit would be peripheral vision. It's entirely possible he just missed it as crazy as that sounds. It's not a lack of balls. It would take more balls to blatantly avoid calling a play that could have paralyzed a guy knowing the backlash that could come from it.

Reactions: egelband

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It was. But that also wasn't why we lost the game. If we don't have that abomination of a first period, that missed all at the end probably doesn't matter.
I mean I agree but I never blamed the game on those misses. They are just the biggest focal point bc of the timing and the injury possibilities

Reactions: Gardner McKay

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Potvin Sucks

I don't even hear "Sucks" anymore.

ZWIrZNx.png

Reactions: Jack Hanson

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

and this is why we 'suck' at 5v5 as a whole. Our "1C" does not drive play or create. Your 1C needs to be leading the way. If his line is at 52-55%, as most top centers lines are, where are we as a team?

but he's always been average at 5v5.... He's opportunistic/rush player. He hasn't been good in that regard this season and that's a major difference. Maybe it's a systems issue?

They are one and done in the o-zone. No possession. No cycling. No movement like the Panarin line. No one goes to scoring areas consistently.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Why does it have to be different? Why can't we just smoke them from start to finish from time to time. Come out ready to play from the opening puck drop more often times than not.
Because it's hard to do that sometimes especially when the other team is desperate in their barn. Their is no excuse to be as bad as they were in the first though. Hope they learned their lesson this time as they couldn't come all the way back.

Like I said, It is possible he was looking up at the netting and missed it. In that spot his focus is on the puck and the hit would be peripheral vision. It's entirely possible he just missed it as crazy as that sounds. It's not a lack of balls. It would take more balls to blatantly avoid calling a play that could have paralyzed a guy knowing the backlash that could come from it.
Maybe, but it's also a fact that things that are called earlier in games are not called later in tight games. I am not a fan of NHL officiating.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
After watching it a few times, I think Pelech absolutely knew what we was doing there. How often do guys stand in the neutral zone with their elbows out at 90 degrees and their stick off the ice? Dude was clearly bracing himself for something.

Hope the boys seek out some vengeance this weekend. That was some classless shit in the 3rd. They easily could've knocked out our top 2 centers 3 games before the playoffs start, and like always the league turns a blind eye to it.
I agree it was intentional but also it was just basic obstruction. Not vicious, in my opinion. 100% on Mika for not paying attention. Do we know whether the contact was head or lower? It looked like he got his bell rung but I’ve also read the contact was…lower down. Which kind of jibes with the way Mika reacted.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad