Finnish roster in a best-on-best an absolute favorite together with the US and Canada?

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
For me? Without a doubt. Even if Finnish prospects and hockey future in the long term are having difficulties I do wish for a best-on-best sooner than later. Heiskanen for me being more of a two-way D than offensive is just outstanding right now.
We now do not only have Saros but one of the (for me) most exciting goalies in the league in UPL.
Lindell, Välimäki and others aren't dogs*t. And I do believe a lot of people underestimate some Finnish players and their ability in accepting and handling roles in a team build. Määttä and Hakanpää are very clear examples of this for me.

4 absolute elite centers imho. Aho, Barkov and Hintz are great. Lundell is young and underrated. One of those young prospects who has the ability to produce and score if he gets the opportunity. Both his mature two-way ability like the older ones, the fact that he can play PK as well? I just don't believe people understand how well balanced of a team, at least at center position Finland could have.
Then you have Lehkonen and Maccelli who became a bit more than people perhaps thought from the beginning. Even if Laine career is on a stall right now...
Also those two guys would still not be top6 wingers for me.

Sometimes I do think people tend to forget about centers and players like, say Bergeron. Crosby was always the biggest piece in Canadas dominance and later on perhaps even McDavid and perhaps Bedard will reach the same level. Even if i hold Crosby higher than Mcdavid as a "Winner". My point was, Canada also had those Bergerons etc. Those who rarely would lose against the opponents best players on ice.
And this is why I do believe Finlands best players with Jalonen would be top three favorites for me even if Sweden, Czechs and others are just up there and Sweden considered by the majority the better nation. Could be true when looking at individual stats in the NHL but that's not what builds teams nor wins you any trophies alone.
Last but not least, just check the playoffs and you will see some successful Finnish players, especially at the center position. And they are known for their two-way game more than flashy dangling etc.

Canada and the US can both ice four #1 lines and three top pairings.

Canada’s goalie situation is a mess, but you don’t need Dominik Hasek playing behind that group of skaters to win.

It’s not impossible for an underdog as well equipped as Finland to win in a single elimination game, but it’s very hard when you’re always at a matchup disadvantage.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Centre-Wise, Finland wouldn’t even touch Canada.
McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Point

People will argue Point vs. Barkov and Aho and that’s how deep Canada’s centre core is as Point would be the 4th line centre on the team… and I’m excluding Bedard as he’s playing wing.

The Finns have some great wingers tho and a nice group of defensive defencemen with the Heiskanen along with a top 5 goalie imo.

Absolute favourite? No. Would I be surprised if they won? No. Anything can happen in hockey. Are they likely to win? Probably not. Strong team? Yes.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad