GDT: FIN vs. AUT May 16, 2024

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
First of all, Austria can with some luck win a bronze in this tournament. They've been playing well in three games already. Finland on the other hand? Not a medal contender whatsoever. This roster is so weak. And no, this wasn't just some "Half ass effort" like some people wanna write and assume in here. Austria have been better and they played better.
I would be happy for them, but let’s be honest here, when they won’t a favourite and will be expected to win against Norway and GB, they will surely lose some points, as always.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah but the Finns always bring their A game versus the top team, I wouldn't count them out just yet
Czechia is a top team and they weren't up to par. Austria is one of the better teams in this tournament and the Finns' lack of skill was also evident there. How is that supposed to work against Canada and Switzerland? Bedard will feel like he is in paradise.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Great job Austria. They are taking advantage of their position. Everybody was taking them as a complete underdog, but when you look at their roster, the players actually aren't bad. Whoever underestimates them even a bit, has got a serious problem. Now, they have Czechia, Norway, Great Britain ahead. I expect them to beat the GB, and the games vs. Czechia and Norway will be not about relegation but about advance to the QF. Their players obviously know this and I expect them to play with some heroic zeal tomorrow against Czechia. Will be a tough game.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If Austria had managed to either beat Canada in OT or not give up a late goal against Switzerland, it'd look pretty worrying for Finland currently.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Some people saying this was the worst loss in Finnish hockey history. I wouldn't say so lol. It still the group stage and we are fine as long as we will get points from other games.

Its a bad loss but not the worst in our history. All credit to Austria as well. There is a reason they barely lost to Switzerland and Canada.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Some people saying this was the worst loss in Finnish hockey history. I wouldn't say so lol. It still the group stage and we are fine as long as we will get points from other games.

Its a bad loss but not the worst in our history. All kredit to Austria as well. There is a reason they barely lost to Swiss and Canada.
Also it's not that many years ago that Finland lost 5-1 to France.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I think this loss is good for Finnish hockey actually. In a best-on-best we would be one of the favorites in my books. But in the long run we could end up being weaker than Germany, Slovakia and others.
So even if something has to happen sooner than later it doesn't mean Finland would be weak in a classic old school tournament. And perhaps liitto should wake the f*ck up already.

God i despise greedy individuals like Bettman. I really believe they stagnate the sport. Hockey will never compete with football if this sh*t keeps on going.

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
Crazier things can happen in this tournament just like NCAA March Madness and FiFa World Cup where everyone witnesses the occasional upsets and shockers. Who would have thought that Latvia would win the bronze medal and Germany playing Canada in gold medal game in last year's WHC???

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Crazier things can happen in this tournament just like NCAA March Madness and FiFa World Cup where the occasional upsets and shockers could happen. Who would have thought that Latvia would win the bronze medal and Germany playing Canada in gold medal game in last year's WHC???

It's great for the growth of the game IMO.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Oops, Finland lost against Austria. This isn't the result I expected. Now even the quarterfinal is no more assured. But if they should reach it, they will be eliminated anyway. They will finish the preliminary round in the best case as 4th. And then they have to play very likely against Sweden. The Swedish team seems very strong this year to me, I can't imagine that Finland would be able to win against Sweden with this team.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Austria has GB, Norway and Czechs.
Finland has Denmark, Canada and Switzerland.

On tie points Austria > Finland. So if Austria beats GB and Norway and Finland beats only Denmark and loses on regulation both to Swiss and Canada, Austria > Finland.
Exactly this. That's why I wrote they could eventually be a contender for bronze and Finland not. It's actually not even a hot take by now. Austria could've easily had more points as well.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
If Austria had managed to either beat Canada in OT or not give up a late goal against Switzerland, it'd look pretty worrying for Finland currently.
Well, it actually does lol. Austria will face those teams Finland won against and Austria were better than Finland today so it's not even a reach. It really is 50/50 if anything. But in my head, I favor Austria now.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Austria has GB, Norway and Czechs.
Finland has Denmark, Canada and Switzerland.

On tie points Austria > Finland. So if Austria beats GB and Norway and Finland beats only Denmark and loses on regulation both to Swiss and Canada, Austria > Finland.

Weird timeline, but I don't see it playing out. Finland is going to turn it up to 11 against Canada and Switzerland, a single point would do it. Plus Norway is pretty decent this year, Austria is playing very well but it's 50/50 whether they'd win, and probably even lower odds than that if they can keep it a regulation win which they 100% need.

Anyway that was the craziest buzzer-beating goal I've ever seen in hockey...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad