Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Hronek looks tough, but is anything but. Dude shies from most contact, Nashville just out scrums our team whenever it's Hronek and Hughes on the ice, esp with that dirtbag Lauzon out there.

people think he's tough because he's feisty after the whistle and will mix it up in a scrum but during play he's so easy to scare out of the play just by threatening contact. literally never see him engage in front of the net

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
people think he's tough because he's feisty after the whistle and will mix it up in a scrum but during play he's so easy to scare out of the play just by threatening contact. literally never see him engage in front of the net
He's not worth anything over 7, he's at that bracket because he's a 40+pt RHD that is vanilla in everything else.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Realistically, any number in the 6s to low 7s you sign. Much as he fell off a damn cliff in the second off, he is still only 26. Defensemen often shine later in their careers, and with the cap going up, a low 7 deal likely pans out. It's only if he still has any delusions of 8M that we start exploring the trade market.

What it really comes down to is whether Hronek, Joshua and Zadorov are willing to work together to all make their respective raises fit or if one of them wants to cash out. If I had to choose though, I'd rather Joshua and Zadorov or just Hronek.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hronek is still the same guy he was in Detroit. Good offensive zone instincts and a hard shot but bad under pressure with the puck and has trouble reading the play against the rush and gets out muscled consistently along the boards.

I do not know if he will sign a deal low enough that keeping him will make sense.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Is he eligible for arbitration, and if so, who decide on terms?

I'm thinking, if possible, might be best to take him to arbitration for a 2 years contract. Keep the money low-ish and term short to maximize cap space during the peak contention years (Demko contract, JTM's prime). Then see if he is worth a keeping and at what amount in 2 years. Hronek also get 2 more years to build up his resume and still young enough to score a big retirement contract. Win-win?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Is he eligible for arbitration, and if so, who decide on terms?

I'm thinking, if possible, might be best to take him to arbitration for a 2 years contract. Keep the money low-ish and term short to maximize cap space during the peak contention years (Demko contract, JTM's prime). Then see if he is worth a keeping and at what amount in 2 years. Hronek also get 2 more years to build up his resume and still young enough to score a big retirement contract. Win-win?
Since he is 1 year away from UFA status the only arbitration award possible is a 1 year term.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He is a good piece, but he is tricky to fit into cap wise. The steep dropoff every year from november onwards is a major headscratcher. Is it conditioning? is it motivation? I lean on the former. I dont think he hurts you in anyways, He's definitely not Charlie Huddy to Hughes Coffey, but if you have aspirations of Rafalski to Hughes' Lidstrom, then its been a bit underwhelming to say the least.. 7 is a good number for him.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think that will also make him not tradeable
Well if he is traded it would likely be at the draft, plenty of time for a team to sign an extension. I also don’t think Hronek and his agent want a 1 year deal. Hronek has an injury history and is coming off by far his best season, they would be smart to lock in this offseason.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Soft, overrated and inflated numbers from playing with Hughes.

Trade him, he's not worth anything more than 6m

Reactions: David71

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well if he is traded it would likely be at the draft, plenty of time for a team to sign an extension. I also don’t think Hronek and his agent want a 1 year deal. Hronek has an injury history and is coming off by far his best season, they would be smart to lock in this offseason.
well yeah, arbritation is before UFA right?

honestly, we should just hold firm and maybe put the max at 7M and that's it. He could be playing injured in the 2nd half and that lead to the decrease in production but then that opens up the injury prone can of worms and that itself makes you question if he is worth the long term contract. regardless there are a lot of flags that should make us be very firm about how much we are willing to offer and if a 1 year deal is really not what he wants, use that against them.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hronek is still the same guy he was in Detroit. Good offensive zone instincts and a hard shot but bad under pressure with the puck and has trouble reading the play against the rush and gets out muscled consistently along the boards.

I do not know if he will sign a deal low enough that keeping him will make sense.

imo there have been times, even in the last month, where he has been excellent. like the spitting image of peak sami salo where if only he’d been able to stay healthy he could be a top ten-to-fifteen norris guy. and it’s times like that where you think hronek could be what mcdonough was for tampa.

consistency has been the issue, especially on his own side of the puck. but he is capable.

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
Even at 7mil, id say thats an overpayment for him. Id be hesitant to offer him 6.5 too but if he doesnt take it, trade him for assets. And sign Chris Tanev (hes playing top 4 minutes in Dallas atm) should come way cheaper than Hronek. Zadorov alil bit of a raise, Myers should take a pretty decent paycut. And that should leave some room to sign Dak aswell possibly

Reactions: Jovofan

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Even at 7mil, id say thats an overpayment for him. Id be hesitant to offer him 6.5 too but if he doesnt take it, trade him for assets. And sign Chris Tanev (hes playing top 4 minutes in Dallas atm) should come way cheaper than Hronek. Zadorov alil bit of a raise, Myers should take a pretty decent paycut. And that should leave some room to sign Dak aswell possibly
I am tending to agree. With Willander 2-3 years away, I'm not sure I would even want a blueline with Hughes, Hronek, and Willander in the post season. These playoffs we are once again seeing how valuable size is, and we are only in round 1; the wear and tear is just getting started. Zadorov, Myers, Soucy are looking pretty valuable right now with how they can handle the physicality with ease, and its apparent how much more relaxed they are than the smaller Dmen who are afraid to hold the puck. If Willander can replace Hronek's role with Hughes in a couple years, we can survive one season with a less offensive top pairing should Hughes play with Tanev or someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad