Faber

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Him and Sanderson are the two best u23 two way-defenders in the game. A tier above Owen Power

But it is what it is, no point to stress over it

Reactions: tny760

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Blake should have done a better job managing all of our RHD assets. If only Faber was a LHD, I think we still have him today.

Would you guys father have Faber over Spence and over Clarke?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Shit comp.. we should have never trade for Fiala and that’s just as true now as it was then.
Not really, Kings biggest deficiency at the time was scoring - Blake acquired a premier top 6 forward who has 100 points in 117 games as a King. Did you expect we were going to acquire him by trading JAD instead?

Reactions: LAKings88

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Blake should have done a better job managing all of our RHD assets. If only Faber was a LHD, I think we still have him today.

Definitely Faber over Spence, but that's not a knock on Spence, just admission that Faber is playing like a #1 D in his first year.

But personally I feel like the sadness over Faber is overblown. Fiala is in an especially bad stretch of play, but trading for him definitely gave something which this org lacks. He's an incredibly creative player who sees the ice in a way that many of our prospects and players do not. He is also still relatively young.

I think the feelings regarding the PLD deal gets mixed in with this, unjustifiably so. Losing Faber hurts, but Fiala is a creative, dynamic PPG winger. When he's one, he brings a lot of great things.

PLD meanwhile, is at best a large Center, something which we drafted for and failed to integrate at the NHL level. We also gave up a lot more collateral to get him in, and we're paying him more to do much less.

The Faber trade may taste bad in time, even now, but I get the move. PLD was a shockingly poor use of assets for a GM that is a gambler rather than a tactician.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Definitely Faber over Spence, but that's not a knock on Spence, just admission that Faber is playing like a #1 D in his first year.

But personally I feel like the sadness over Faber is overblown. Fiala is in an especially bad stretch of play, but trading for him definitely gave something which this org lacks. He's an incredibly creative player who sees the ice in a way that many of our prospects and players do not. He is also still relatively young.

I think the feelings regarding the PLD deal gets mixed in with this, unjustifiably so. Losing Faber hurts, but Fiala is a creative, dynamic PPG winger. When he's one, he brings a lot of great things.

PLD meanwhile, is at best a large Center, something which we drafted for and failed to integrate at the NHL level. We also gave up a lot more collateral to get him in, and we're paying him more to do much less.

The Faber trade may taste bad in time, even now, but I get the move. PLD was a shockingly poor use of assets for a GM that is a gambler rather than a tactician.
i agree, fiala's got his flaws but he drives a lot of offense. that team doesn't make the playoffs without him and we appear to still have lots of points ahead of us on what will probably be a decent value contract as the cap goes up

it's not like the cernak trade where you barely got any value from the return and lost the great player so i'm not gonna be bitter about this for 20 years

whether or not the kings should have bothered chasing more playoff wins after the first oilers series is probably a discussion but that's probably better held after blake's exit

faber himself, happy for the kid, i hope he's their tony gwynn going forward

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Define “premier top 6 forward”.
A stud forward, all-star last year -- in his prime age, scoring at almost a PPG pace.

1707260943990.png

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Not many people seemed to have an issue with it at the time....how strange:

man unintentional comedy really is your forte

here they are paying someone else $8.5M to babysit the kids

Reactions: KINGS17

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

I'm sorry? Not sure I'm following you...are we talking PLD now?

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Yes, Brock Faber is almost certainly going to be the best player drafted during Rob Blake's tenure.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Man he is playing real good. Right hand shot too, being considered for the calder on NHL Now. King should have kept him.
He is playing really "well". Please use correct grammar when attempting to insult us.

• Haha
Reactions: tny760

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I love Byfield.

Faber is going to be a perennial Norris candidate.

Please post more of these threads.

I could spend all goddam day I told you so-ing.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The trade was a reasonable micro decision that was part of a bigger and horrific macro one.

Rob Blake created this ridiculous window to try and win with players on their last legs, Faber was going back to the Gophers and then with the Kings archaic development system and insistence that every player spend time in Ontario, was not going to be in LA until the 24-25 season when Kopitar would be 37 and Doughty 35. Fiala provided scoring that was going to be necessary to make the Kings cup odds go from 0% chance to maybe a 5% chance.

Said it though last season, he was every bit as good a prospect as Power and L Hughes. Sad that the best player the Kings have drafted since Doughty never played a game in LA due to managerial incompetence.

At least we can cheer for him in the Olympics.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not really, Kings biggest deficiency at the time was scoring - Blake acquired a premier top 6 forward who has 100 points in 117 games as a King. Did you expect we were going to acquire him by trading JAD instead?
No their biggest deficiency was thinking they need a lazy, one dimensional player thinking he was a missing piece which he has not been… Byfield’s breakout was going to happen so why the rush to push it along? That’s why Blake is likely to get canned in the off season. You know what results the Kings have gotten since acquiring Fiala and now PLD? 100 pts and we’re worse off, that was a brilliant f***en move

Reactions: Play

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The trade was a reasonable micro decision that was part of a bigger and horrific macro one.

Rob Blake created this ridiculous window to try and win with players on their last legs, Faber was going back to the Gophers and then with the Kings archaic development system and insistence that every player spend time in Ontario, was not going to be in LA until the 24-25 season when Kopitar would be 37 and Doughty 35. Fiala provided scoring that was going to be necessary to make the Kings cup odds go from 0% chance to maybe a 5% chance.

Said it though last season, he was every bit as good a prospect as Power and L Hughes. Sad that the best player the Kings have drafted since Doughty never played a game in LA due to managerial incompetence.

At least we can cheer for him in the Olympics.

Here's the thing. People who think that Fiala's offense helps the Kings aren't looking at the big picture, just stat lines. Its "hey we got an offensive player who gets close to a ppg" without knowing the player. Fiala has never been more than a supporting player, the numbers don't actually mean anything.

The Kings are worse because of Fiala, not better. The scrappy team that took Edmonton to 7 were a bunch of overachievers who coalesced into something bigger than than their parts. By adding Fiala they started to play as though they were better than they were and it cost them. The best hockey they played last year was when Fiala was hurt. This year his chaotic nature has done more damage than good despite bring up near the top of the scoring chart.

He was the wrong player to add. Just like Dubois was the wrong player to add when looking for a center. The numbers just don't tell enough of the story to make such poor decisions, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we learned that this management team has been hoodwinked by some analytics "expert" who has no feel for the game whatsoever.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Here's the thing. People who think that Fiala's offense helps the Kings aren't looking at the big picture, just stat lines. Its "hey we got an offensive player who gets close to a ppg" without knowing the player. Fiala has never been more than a supporting player, the numbers don't actually mean anything.

The Kings are worse because of Fiala, not better. The scrappy team that took Edmonton to 7 were a bunch of overachievers who coalesced into something bigger than than their parts. By adding Fiala they started to play as though they were better than they were and it cost them. The best hockey they played last year was when Fiala was hurt. This year his chaotic nature has done more damage than good despite bring up near the top of the scoring chart.

He was the wrong player to add. Just like Dubois was the wrong player to add when looking for a center. The numbers just don't tell enough of the story to make such poor decisions, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we learned that this management team has been hoodwinked by some analytics "expert" who has no feel for the game whatsoever.
Disagree 1000% - Fiala is arguably to best forward on the team. I know many are a little ticked off about how the Kings have fallen in the last month or so, but to shit on every player just because you are sad doesn't make the narrative true.

PLD on the other hand is a bum.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Disagree 1000% - Fiala is arguably to best forward on the team. I know many are a little ticked off about how the Kings have fallen in the last month or so, but to shit on every player just because you are sad doesn't make the narrative true.

PLD on the other hand is a bum.

A winger like Fiala making $7m is not as valuable as a 21 year old #1 d-man on an ELC.

The trade has turned out to be more horrible than anyone could have imagined. No team would take 2 Fialas over 1 Faber.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad