F James Hagens - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2025 Draft)

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It's insanely more impressive when you produce at an elite level as a 17 or 18 year old freshman. 22 year olds stat padding, especially if they were just meh or even below average as 18 or 19 year olds, is not impressive to me.
Not many guys "stat pad" in the NCAA. What Celebrini did --- he's still just 17 -- was definitely worthy of the Hobey, which doesn't merely count stats, by the way. I wouldn't expect Hagens to pop like that, as others have noted, for various reasons.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Does anyone have his numbers this season against NCAA competition?
What are your expectations for him in the NCAA next season? Something close to 1.3/1.5ppg?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Not many guys "stat pad" in the NCAA. What Celebrini did --- he's still just 17 -- was definitely worthy of the Hobey, which doesn't merely count stats, by the way. I wouldn't expect Hagens to pop like that, as others have noted, for various reasons.
What I meant by stat padding is just putting up stats when you're older, inflating your resume in major part because you're older.

Celebrini was the youngest player in the NCAA, sometimes 7 years younger than opponents and ate everyone alive most nights. Far more impressive than Rizzo or Wendt putting up big numbers, for example.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What I meant by stat padding is just putting up stats when you're older, inflating your resume in major part because you're older.

Celebrini was the youngest player in the NCAA, sometimes 7 years younger than opponents and ate everyone alive most nights. Far more impressive than Rizzo or Wendt putting up big numbers, for example.
I think his point is that the Hobey Baker shouldn't go to the player with the most impressive season, but the player with the best, most impactful season.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It’s good marketing for ncaa hockey to give it to a young, draft eligible player. So I think they will likely err that way if it’s a close call. Not that I necessarily agree with that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Neither Fantilli nor Celebrini should have won. I might get a lot of criticism for this, but this is my honest opinion. Both won due to their dratf status. Hobey is all about who was the best. It shouldn't matter if you're a freshman, senior or whatever.
I don’t remember Fantilli’s competition as well, but agree about Celebrini. Would’ve given it to one of the BC players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone have his numbers this season against NCAA competition?
What are your expectations for him in the NCAA next season? Something close to 1.3/1.5ppg?
Actually a lot worse than you’d expect. 7+6=13 points in 14 games.

He’s dominated the international and USHL games and struggled more in the NCAA games.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hagens is the 2nd best 06 born on the planet and it's not particularly close. He'd be the runaway for #2 if he was eligible for this year. A lot can change in a year, but he's definitely the Number 1 pick frontrunner.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hagens is the 2nd best 06 born on the planet and it's not particularly close. He'd be the runaway for #2 if he was eligible for this year. A lot can change in a year, but he's definitely the Number 1 pick frontrunner.
I'm not even sure I'd take Celebrini over Hagens. Celebrini has the higher floor but I think Hagens has the higher ceiling by a fair amount.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
USA won gold at the U20s obviously but a lot of us American posters thought he should have been on that roster initially.
Would have been there if McGroarty wasn't cleared to play. Could have been the 13th forward but I don't think USA likes to pull a kid off the U18 NTDP squad unless they're playing Top 9. If it was a weaker year, he would have been there for sure, but last year was a very strong forward group.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Would have been there if McGroarty wasn't cleared to play. Could have been the 13th forward but I don't think USA likes to pull a kid off the U18 NTDP squad unless they're playing Top 9. If it was a weaker year, he would have been there for sure, but last year was a very strong forward group.
Yeah, he absolutely was good enough to be on the roster, but there was no need to force him onto the team when we had so much depth in the top 9, and our role players did what was asked on the 4th line.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
TSN at the beginning of the tournament was doing a feature about the USA's returning players. They said they had three returning players, but didn't even go on to name Hagens. Instead they talked about Eiserman and Hutson. Those guys are good players, but come on, how could you be so stupid to not talk about the guy who clearly drives the bus? Has 6 more points than any player on his own team.

I think the questions about whether he was the 1OA favorite for next year are also starting to become answered. Not that other guys still can't challenge him, but he's doing his part. Would take a great player to knock him off 1OA.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's been a bit inconsistent this year given how dominant of a player he is, but when he's playing up to his standard like he is right now, he's an elite 200-foot forward that can do it all.

The inconsistency I've noticed from him this season was usually indecision, which isn't like him. I think it had a lot to do with having new linemates and trying to do too much himself as the team overly relied on him and Eiserman. He's being decisive again and he's dominating.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
TSN at the beginning of the tournament was doing a feature about the USA's returning players. They said they had three returning players, but didn't even go on to name Hagens. Instead they talked about Eiserman and Hutson. Those guys are good players, but come on, how could you be so stupid to not talk about the guy who clearly drives the bus? Has 6 more points than any player on his own team.

I think the questions about whether he was the 1OA favorite for next year are also starting to become answered. Not that other guys still can't challenge him, but he's doing his part. Would take a great player to knock him off 1OA.
There just isn’t any clear #2. I wasn’t sold on Hagens being 1st for next year early in the year, but no other player has had a better D-1. It’s looking like a weaker draft right now in 2025 but who knows how it’ll shake out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad