Pre-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 1 8:11 PM - THE BEAR swims in the Everglades - ESPN, CBC, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1714980329195.png

1714980406333.png

1714980231288.png

1714980476944.png

1714980529772.png

Tonight's Officials

1714980790456.png
1714980854072.png

Referees Graham Skilliter (24), Chris Rooney (5),
Jean Hebert (15)*
Linespersons Matt MacPherson (83), James Tobias (61)

SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) — There are no shortage of storylines for this Florida-Boston rematch.

There’s the Panthers, trying to move another step closer toward a return to the Stanley Cup Final. There’s the Bruins, looking to avenge a shocking upset in a Round 1 series last season. The rested Panthers having just gotten a few days off, the razor-sharp Bruins rolling in after a Game 7 overtime win over Toronto.

Florida coach Paul Maurice summed it all up succinctly.

“None of that matters when the puck drops," Maurice said.

He’s probably right. A second-round series between the Panthers and Bruins starts Monday night in South Florida, the two best teams in the Atlantic Division squaring off with a trip to the NHL’s final four on the line. Florida rallied from a 3-1 deficit to stun Boston in Round 1 a year ago, and the Bruins needed to exorcise those Game 7 overtime demons on Saturday night to beat Toronto and keep their season alive.

“We’re a better team for what we just went through,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said Saturday night after Boston’s 2-1 win over Toronto. “Now we know what it takes to push through.”

The Panthers have home-ice advantage because they won the Atlantic Division, even though Boston spent the overwhelming majority of the season in first place. Florida passed the Bruins on the final day of the regular season for both clubs.

But the way Boston sees it, surviving the Round 1 test against Toronto delivered a needed edge.

“It’s resilience. It’s mental toughness. It’s belief in one another,” Bruins defenseman Charlie McAvoy said. “When we needed it the most in the biggest game of the year, we got it. And I think our group can take a lot from that.”

Florida watched the Boston-Toronto series knowing either way, it’d be a rematch — the Panthers beat Boston in Round 1 and Toronto in Round 2 last year. Panthers forward Matthew Tkachuk said he expected to see Boston, and the Bruins proved him right.

Florida has been off for a week since ousting Tampa Bay in Round 1.

“I personally love it,” Tkachuk said. “It feels like we’re just about to start playoffs now. That break was really good for us.”

ONE OF THREE
Florida is in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs for the third consecutive year. The only other teams that can say that are Carolina and Edmonton.

Dallas beat Vegas on Sunday night to make Round 2 for the second straight year. None of the other four teams in the second round this season — Boston, the New York Rangers, Colorado and Vancouver — made Round 2 last season.

THE SERIES
Boston went 4-0-0 vs. Florida this season, winning two of those games in overtime. The Bruins were one of four teams — and the only from the Eastern Conference — to beat the Panthers in every meeting this season, joining Vancouver, Minnesota and Winnipeg.

Bruins goalies Jeremy Swayman (3.00, .857 in one game) and Linus Ullmark (1.62, .947 in three games) combined to stop 108 of 116 Florida shots. Sergei Bobrovsky was in net for all four games for Florida, giving up 13 goals on 101 shots (3.24, .871).

Game 2 is in Sunrise on Wednesday and Game 3 is at Boston on Friday — which led to the switching of a Tim McGraw concert. He’ll now play at TD Garden on Wednesday.

AFTER OT IN GAME 7 …
A good sign for the Bruins: Teams that win a Game 7 in overtime have gone on to win their next series 16 out of 21 times since 2003.

The most recent team to use a Game 7 OT victory as a springboard to next-round success was Florida — which beat Boston in Game 7 of Round 1 last year and wound up going all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.

Boston had four previous Game 7 overtime wins before Saturday. The Bruins went on to win the next series three of those times (1939, 2011, 2013) and lost the next series once (1983).

SPECIAL TEAMS
Power plays weren’t exactly powerful in the Bruins-Panthers regular-season series. Boston went 2 for 13 with the man advantage and Florida went 0 for 11.

The Panthers were worse on the power play against only one opponent this season. They were 0 for 17 against Toronto, the team that Boston defeated to get into Round 2 against Florida.

GETTING SHOTS
Florida had the second-most shots on goal in the NHL this season. But the Bruins find a way better than anyone else to bottle up the Panthers.

Boston allowed Florida an average of 29 shots on goal per game. The only team in the NHL to allow Florida a lower average this season was Philadelphia, which held the Panthers to 22 shots per contest in their three matchups.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The hockey just doesn't stop. Straight down to Florida, straight on to Round 2. Feels strange to be right into it, but that's how the playoffs roll.

Maybe the Panthers will be a bit rusty, might give the Bruins a few good looks early. If so they need to take full advantage, as the energy battle won't be on their side at least through this first game or two. Need to stay disciplined on D, play a smart road game. But can't be too passive - do that and the Cats will happily hem the Bs in rack up the O zone time, and that probably won't end well. How Boston handles Florida's forecheck is going to be critical to how the series pans out because even against the Leafs they seriously struggled to cut through the neutral zone and generate any sustained offense in games 5, 6 and parts of 7. And the Panthers are on a whole different level in that regard.

We'll see how they go. A new series, new opponent, new opportunity. Hopefully the boys come ready to play.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
"Well, we ain't exactly the Boston Bruins."
newman+dunn.jpg

"I don't know; there are a lot of shysters in Florida."
images

Lots of people not giving the B's a chance, but watching the playoffs so far, teams are partying like it's 1999 - the Dead Puck Era.

Lots of trapping, low-event hockey, and with the Bs goalies, they can 2-1 with anyone in the league.

The Panthers' center depth is a huge strength; but if Bennett misses any time, that's a big loss.

Florida hasn't played in a while, so maybe the Bs can get off to a quick start?

I'll say Bruins in six.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I honestly don't know what to expect but Florida went to the Cup final last year, Vegas just got punted and everyone always talks about the exhaustion level after winning a Cup. Florida was right there with them so maybe it will be a factor in a long series.

I feel better that it starts in Florida since the Bruins have been better on the road. If Bennett is close to coming back, that will suck because that is part of the scenario from last year.

Anyway, few "experts" picking our Bruins to get through, so that makes me very happy. Just the way I like it, being the underdog like in 2011.

GO BRUINS!

1714988694374.jpeg

Last edited:

troubbble

Apr 25, 2024
If they play the confident version of Bruins hockey rather than the “please don’t let me make a mistake” version from the second half of the series against the Leafs, we’re gonna be in business.

Want to see Lohrei and Brazeau in the lineup, and hopefully Peeke can come back soon also…

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Us in 7.
We match up better this year than last year.
Would not surprise me if we see Ullmark in game 2.
Meanwhile Florida is going to ride Bob hard!

Reactions: BMC and caz16

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Panthers are the favorite of almost all the " experts" and based on how they took out Tampa hard to dis-agree

This is the game to steal....Panthers with a few days off might have a little rust, Bennett still not good to go tonight and hopefully the Bruins still on a high from Saturday night

Get a split in Fla. and then come home to a crazy Garden and who knows

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
“AFTER OT IN GAME 7 …
A good sign for the Bruins: Teams that win a Game 7 in overtime have gone on to win their next series 16 out of 21 times since 2003.”

Oh, why can’t all our series go to G7 OT? :sarcasm:
I doubt Bruin fans could take the stress of another game 7. Not enough horse tranquilizers on the market after the shelves went empty playing the Leafs.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I'll be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bruins swept the Panthers. Give us a 2-0 lead going back to Boston. I'll be very happy!
I wouldn’t be surprised if Boston gets swept.

Panthers are a great team, but they did lose Gudas who was a warrior against the Bs last year. He was able to take several Bs off their game with his physicality.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I think it's just which Bruins team shows up. The team that shoots 1-5 shots in 10-15 minute chunks, or the one that won't pass up shots.

Will it be the Maroon Bruins, where the goal is to win in 7 by grinding down your opponent with hits? Or will they be intimidated and be ground down?

We just won a 7 gamer where Pasta only scored 3 goals. Meaning if Florida decides to grind him out (and they will), we can still win. The question is will Marchy, Zacha, Coyle, Debrusk, etc fill the net? It's time for them to all be top 6 players at the same time.

Then honestly, I think we CAN win.

Reactions: KWbruin and HustleB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad