Player Discussion Drew Helleson

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
After watching how he got all his points in that video, one thing is for sure: He will be the complementary defensemen on the pairing he plays on. Don't see a lot of offensive generating plays there, mainly smart hard shots for tips and random secondary assists. I wish there was a highlight reel of him playing defense and passing so I could see more. Looks like he has a rather weak (power wise) shot as well... That sucks.
Likely a guy you pair with a Zellweger/Fowler style player.

Reactions: Leonardo87

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
I'm copying this from someone who posted the below on the Ducks Reddit.

Scott Wheeler, wrote on the Athletic a deep dive on each team's prospect pool a month or two ago. He ranked Helleson as No. 8 for the Avalanche which he ranked as the 21st best system in the NHL. He ranked the Ducks 5th, that did not include Drysdale or Zegras.

Hopefully he keeps improving and becomes a solid defensive dman with some offensive potential.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm copying this from someone who posted the below on the Ducks Reddit.

Scott Wheeler, wrote on the Athletic a deep dive on each team's prospect pool a month or two ago. He ranked Helleson as No. 8 for the Avalanche which he ranked as the 21st best system in the NHL. He ranked the Ducks 5th, that did not include Drysdale or Zegras.

Hopefully he keeps improving and becomes a solid defensive dman with some offensive potential.

Good find. I still have Wheeler's prospect article up. Wheelers projects Helleson to be reliable 5/6 defenseman in the breakdown.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The fact that his skating is above average bodes well. I always worry about big defenseman not being able to skate well enough to make the pros in a big role. That’s something Manson was able to really improve on in his college career

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Helleson basically fills the #1 and 2 needs for the franchise. Big Physical RHD.

Now it is just a question of how he develops.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Helleson basically fills the #1 and 2 needs for the franchise. Big Physical RHD.

Now it is just a question of how he develops.

I dunno... sure, he does fill a two-way play with a right shot, but I would still draft Jiricek if we had a chance at Jiricek. I wonder if we tried to get the Avs other RHD, Justin Barron, but the Avs wouldn't part with him.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I dunno... sure, he does fill a two-way play with a right shot, but I would still draft Jiricek if we had a chance at Jiricek. I wonder if we tried to get the Avs other RHD, Justin Barron, but the Avs wouldn't part with him.

First of all, even with him RHD is still the biggest need for the Ducks lol.
Second of all, even though I agree Jiricek would be literally perfect, the position shouldnt matter at all when drafting in the top 10. BPA even if its in your deepest position.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'm not remotely qualified to have an opinion on him specifically, but I feel like when we pick up a young defenseman and people say "he's probably second pairing, maybe third" they always end up being AHLers. Guhle, Fleury.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
First of all, even with him RHD is still the biggest need for the Ducks lol.
Second of all, even though I agree Jiricek would be literally perfect, the position shouldnt matter at all when drafting in the top 10. BPA even if its in your deepest position.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Helleson the prospect, but I don't think he can help the NHL club today or the next year. Helleson is a natural RHD, two-way defenseman. Don't think he's physical like Manson. Maybe he's physical like Lindholm, but I didn't notice it much at the WJC-20's.

We actually do have a big two-way RD, but shoots left in LaCombe.He's been playing RD for the Golphers for the past two seasons. I think Thrun is more of the shutdown type and so is Helleson. I just know that LaCombe loves to block shots.

Reactions: Kalv

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Depres 2.0
I’d say higher potential. If he develops offensively like he has been recently, a legit two way #2-3 isn’t entirely out of the question

He has the defensive and physical tools , all that’s lacking is offense, but it has been developing nicely. Verbeek even said himself he is one of the top defensemen of his age group. That’s coming from the AGM who drafted Moritz Seider in the same draft as Helleson.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I’d say higher potential. If he develops offensively like he has been recently, a legit two way #2-3 isn’t entirely out of the question

He has the defensive and physical tools , all that’s lacking is offense, but it has been developing nicely. Verbeek even said himself he is one of the top defensemen of his age group. That’s coming from the AGM who drafted Moritz Seider in the same draft as Helleson.
I don't think so, Depres was a solid #3 defensemen when healthy and playing in his peak here.

Reactions: Kalv

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
How would you guys compare him to Lacombe, Thrun, Moore, and Hinds?
Based on my friend's analysis (Big college hockey fan (Wisconsin fan but lives in Connecticut so watches a few conferences))

Thrun
Helleson
LaCombe/Moore
(Hinds- I didnt ask about Hinds, but based on his scouting reports from the draft I'm personally not too enthused)

Reactions: Static

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Based on my friend's analysis (Big college hockey fan (Wisconsin fan but lives in Connecticut so watches a few conferences))

Thrun
Helleson
LaCombe/Moore
(Hinds- I didnt ask about Hinds, but based on his scouting reports from the draft I'm personally not too enthused)
Thrun and Helleson are close as from what I’ve seen of Helleson (WJC and Olympics)
Thrun is better offensively, Helleson has more physicality. Defense is something that I’ll have to look into but they are pretty close in that regard. USA hockey does value Helleson more it seems, perhaps his defensive game may be a bit better in their eyes.

Reactions: salsa man

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1647334746341.png

Also called him "Hellboy" quite a bit.

Reactions: Leonardo87

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I like this addition a lot. This was a good move to get younger and add another early round pick. Our D pipeline is stacked with Zellweger, Lacombe, Thrun and now Helleson. One of them may be bait to go after a big fish like Chychrun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad