Define Every NHL Team's Market

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
In some cases this is easy, but some areas are less clear. I also wonder about places like Wisconsin or Saskatchewan, or some of the northern provinces like the Yukon Territories or Nunavut. I'm sure this'll generate some controversy since there are battleground areas.

ANA: Orange County CA, San Diego(? since their AHL team is there)
AZ: Arizona
BOS: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, most of Connecticut
BUF: Upstate NY, parts of extreme southern Ontario(?)
CGY: Southern Alberta
CAR: North Carolina, South Carolina
CHI: Illinois, Indiana, Southern Wisconsin(?)
COL: Colorado, Utah(?), Wyoming(?), Montana(?)
CBJ: Ohio
DAL: Texas
DET: Michigan, Ontario in Windsor area
EDM: Northern Alberta
FLA: Miami, Fort Lauderdale, South Florida in general
LA: Most of Southern California
MIN: Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, North Dakota(?), South Dakota(?)
MTL: Quebec, Maritimes(Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island)
NSH: Tennessee
NJD: Northern and Central New Jersey
NYI: Long Island(Nassau County, Suffolk County New York)
NYR: New York City, Southwestern Connecticut, Westchester County, Rockland County, Orange County New York, also dips into NJD and NYI markets
OTT: Far-east Ontario, far-west Quebec
PHI: Most of Eastern Pennsylvania, South Jersey(Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County, Cumberland County, Cape May County, Atlantic County), Delaware
PIT: Western, Central and Northeastern Pennsylvania, West Virginia
STL: Missouri, Southern Illinois
SJ: Bay Area, Northern California
TB: Gulf Coast Florida
TOR: Ontario
VAN: British Columbia, Yukon
VGK: Nevada
WSH: DC, Maryland, Virginia
WPG: Manitoba

Last edited:

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
I assume you mean where the fanbases reside and not TV markets, since those you could easily find on a map.

You actually did a really nice job here. I would remove Washington state for Vancouver. Mine as well say that's Seattle territory now, and frankly I'm not too sure it's ever been full of Canucks fans. Can't really speak too much on that though.

Southern Wisconsin is definitely Hawks country, and Western Wisconsin is Wild territory. I would say Northern Wisconsin might be for the Red Wings. I know for a fact there are plenty of Wings fans in the UP, and for the most part Northern Wisconsin is very similar to the UP. However I could be reaching there.

Also for Boston I would be hesitant to include most of Connecticut. I know Whalers fans used to despise Bruins fans, and many still do to this day. Eastern Connecticut would probably be a better description there.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'm curious about Utah - they were definitely Avs territory when I was a professor in SLC (close to two decades ago - holy shit) - however, there are a lot of LDS connections in Vegas and I'd bet that the Golden Knights are working that to the extent feasible.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I assume you mean where the fanbases reside and not TV markets, since those you could easily find on a map.

You actually did a really nice job here. I would remove Washington state for Vancouver. Mine as well say that's Seattle territory now, and frankly I'm not too sure it's ever been full of Canucks fans. Can't really speak too much on that though.

Southern Wisconsin is definitely Hawks country, and Western Wisconsin is Wild territory. I would say Northern Wisconsin might be for the Red Wings. I know for a fact there are plenty of Wings fans in the UP, and for the most part Northern Wisconsin is very similar to the UP. However I could be reaching there.

Also for Boston I would be hesitant to include most of Connecticut. I know Whalers fans used to despise Bruins fans, and many still do to this day. Eastern Connecticut would probably be a better description there.
Thank you! And thank you for your feedback. Yes, I mean where their fans actually are. I guess I just assume most Whalers fans moved on, although the only former Whalers fan I know is now a Ducks fan. And yeah, that's why I said if Washington was ever part of the Canucks market, it won't be by fall.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Given the fact that I live in Denver and can't watch Avalanche games on cable TV, I'm a little surprised that you have Colorado as part of the Avs market. Seems like they'd actually broadcast games where their fans are. :sarcasm: :help:

I actually blame myself for the Tahoe delay - Stan Kroenke has made it exceptionally clear that he doesn't want me watching Avalanche games, and I was evidently pushing my luck.

Reactions: Lt Dan

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I heard about that. The almighty Comcast, eh?

Yes, Comcast tried to screw over the PR branch of Kroenke Sports Entertainment (aka Altitude Sports) on their new carriage contract, and is now essentially refusing to negotiate in good faith. KSE sued, claiming that Comcast is attempting to use their monopoly to push Altitude out of business, allowing them to take over the market with an NBC branded local channel. And, a judge mostly agreed with their claims in December, rejecting Comcast's request to have the case thrown out. But, given the speed of the American legal system, I'd be surprised if this gets resolved anytime soon.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Saskatchewan is a mismatch of all teams throughout the league. A battleground province so to speak. I bet no one team has more than 15% of the "market". Probably more Hab/Leaf fans than Oilers/Flames/Jets or even Canucks although geography would say otherwise. No Ottawa fans. Many followers of long term popular U.S.-based squads like Boston, Philly, Detroit and Pittsburgh.

My Best-Carey

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
In some cases this is easy, but some areas are less clear. I also wonder about places like Wisconsin or Saskatchewan, or some of the northern provinces like the Yukon Territories or Nunavut. I'm sure this'll generate some controversy since there are battleground areas.

Jets' designated broadcast region as defined by the NHL, which includes Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nunavut, the Northwest Territories, and parts of Northwestern Ontario, including Kenora, Dryden, and Thunder Bay.

TV and Radio Broadcast Information

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

ANA: Orange County CA, San Diego(? since their AHL team is there)
AZ: Arizona
BOS: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, most of Connecticut
BUF: Upstate NY, parts of extreme southern Ontario(?)
CGY: Southern Alberta
CAR: North Carolina, South Carolina
CHI: Illinois, Indiana, Southern Wisconsin(?)
COL: Colorado, Utah(?), Wyoming(?), Montana(?)
CBJ: Ohio
DAL: Texas
DET: Michigan, Ontario in Windsor area
EDM: Northern Alberta
FLA: Miami, Fort Lauderdale, South Florida in general
LA: Most of Southern California
MIN: Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, North Dakota(?), South Dakota(?)
MTL: Quebec, Maritimes(Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island)
NSH: Tennessee
NJD: Northern and Central New Jersey
NYI: Long Island(Nassau County, Suffolk County New York)
NYR: New York City, Southwestern Connecticut, Westchester County, Rockland County, Orange County New York, also dips into NJD and NYI markets
OTT: Far-east Ontario, far-west Quebec
PHI: Most of Eastern Pennsylvania, South Jersey(Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Cumberland County, Cape May County, Atlantic County), Delaware
PIT: Western, Central and Northeastern Pennsylvania, West Virginia
STL: Missouri, Southern Illinois
SJ: Bay Area, Northern California
TB: Gulf Coast Florida
TOR: Ontario
VAN: British Columbia, Washington(? Though if so, not for long)
VGK: Nevada
WSH: DC, Maryland, Virginia

Bruins have a huge following in the Maritimes. Remember it’s the closest NHL market for us.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yes, Comcast tried to screw over the PR branch of Kroenke Sports Entertainment (aka Altitude Sports) on their new carriage contract, and is now essentially refusing to negotiate in good faith. KSE sued, claiming that Comcast is attempting to use their monopoly to push Altitude out of business, allowing them to take over the market with an NBC branded local channel. And, a judge mostly agreed with their claims in December, rejecting Comcast's request to have the case thrown out. But, given the speed of the American legal system, I'd be surprised if this gets resolved anytime soon.
Comcast is just trying to co opt Altitude’s pipeline of Laurens.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I think you have to differentiate between Goal Markets and Actual Markets.

For example, the Islanders' goal market is Nassau and Suffolk, but they actually don't have a market at all. There are more Rangers fans in Nassau and Suffolk than Islanders fans. Even parts of NJ supports the Devils more than the Rangers. The same can't be said for NYI.

Reactions: The S5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad