Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Barron + Jets 1st or Flames 1st is the new Halak, Ryder and a 2nd.

Man I don’t like the idea of trading Struble or Harris. They are two of the better athletes we have. Both good skaters (Harris very good). Struble’s physicality and ceiling are unique and Harris hardly ever gets beat 1on1. Harris will wear a letter for the Habs or some other team.

We will watch these guys succeed for years like Desjardins and so many others…. We should be trying to hang on to these guys as long as possible and see what they can do with more experience.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Barron + Jets 1st or Flames 1st is the new Halak, Ryder and a 2nd.

Man I don’t like the idea of trading Struble or Harris. They are two of the better athletes we have. Both good skaters (Harris very good). Struble’s physicality and ceiling are unique and Harris hardly ever gets beat 1on1. Harris will wear a letter for the Habs or some other team.

We will watch these guys succeed for years like Desjardins and so many others…. We should be trying to hang on to these guys as long as possible and see what they can do with more experience.

The problem is that the "as long as possible" line in the sand is coming up fast.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Wheeler is a hack and is only slightly better than Pronman but below top posters on HF Boards and well below real scouts. These guys are just writers and that is their primary skill......they are just fans who are also writers and do not deserve an ounce of credibility as I have read absolutely moronic takes from both such as Guhle not being a great skater and Romanov being one of the least physical dmen in his draft class. These are comments that entirely oibliterate any shred of credibility that these clowns have attempted to manufacture by reading to the laymen from their respective soap boxes.

Any half wit can easily read up on prospects and accidentally come away with some draft gems but the reasoning is what matters and if their reasoning is flawed then their results are meaningless one way or the other.

To be fair, I will say that at least Wheeler has improved a little whereas Pronman is still entirely clueless as does not belong anywhere near a sporting event of any kind.......unless Pokemon battles and D&D become listed as sports lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77 and mdk

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'd be very surprised to see both make it out of camp unless Hughes moves 2 of Harris, Kovacevic or Barron. I don't think Kent is in a hurry to move Barron, so that leaves finding a buyer for Kovacevic and Harris. Struble can be sent down, but even then, they're not going to carry 8 D on the big club and waste valuable development time having some sit in the press box. They'll carry 7 if need be. but not 8.

I honestly think the only D being moved in the offseason will be Kovacevic. I'm sure he'll look to move Harris but I have doubts he finds a deal to his liking, verses the risk of moving his young D too quickly.

Guhle Matheson
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Barron
Harris

Struble sent to AHL
Kovacevic traded.

The habs can carry or even play 7 dmen, but they can't do more.

Some guys are gonna get hurt. Remember, this is the Habs we are talking about.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wasn't on board with Michkov as I don't like his game that much, feel he's overrated, small, plays small, isn't the hardest worker or very good in his own end. Reminds me of Caufield but a better playmaker. It's just too early to say how this will pan out as it's not looking great since Mickhov clearly is highly skilled offensive player. I am utterly shocked about the rumors that they are letting him out of his contract since it's not something I can recall seeing for high end prospects before. I was worried he would sign for an addition 2 years so I was very wrong on that one.

Reinbacher was very tough to get a good read on as his play was inconsistent though his 2nd half was clearly much more consistent and mistake free. Dobson is someone that I think makes sense to hope he can be that kind of D and impact. With prospects it's always about progression or lack of so anyone that tells you they know what a player is going to be in 5 years is full of shit most likely as there are just so many factors and variables going on that you can just track their progress year to year and adjust from there.

I do think from what i've seen based mostly on his NL games that the scouting reports are incorrect, and that his offensive game is better then it's been talked about but his defensive game is not as polished as scouting reports suggested. Either that or the the big jump in weight from 185 to 209 impacted his game that much as I only saw a little of him in his draft year and wasn't at all impressed but can see that he has tools scouts love of size, mobility, above average skating, can move the puck and closes gaps well with his speed and long reach.

Is some sort of mix between H Lindholm and Dobson accurate in terms of what we might get? Lindholm for his D coverage but Dobson for the offensive side? Would be nice because if that ends up true, we got a top pairing quality

Today, I'm going to remain conservative and expect a very good top 4D.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wheeler is a hack and is only slightly better than Pronman but below top posters on HF Boards and well below real scouts. These guys are just writers and that is their primary skill......they are just fans who are also writers and do not deserve an ounce of credibility as I have read absolutely moronic takes from both such as Guhle not being a great skater and Romanov being one of the least physical dmen in his draft class. These are comments that entirely oibliterate any shred of credibility that these clowns have attempted to manufacture by reading to the laymen from their respective soap boxes.

Any half wit can easily read up on prospects and accidentally come away with some draft gems but the reasoning is what matters and if their reasoning is flawed then their results are meaningless one way or the other.

To be fair, I will say that at least Wheeler has improved a little whereas Pronman is still entirely clueless as does not belong anywhere near a sporting event of any kind.......unless Pokemon battles and D&D become listed as sports lol.
Curious if you had any opinion about Kyle Woodlief and the draft guide he puts out every year.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Some guys are gonna get hurt. Remember, this is the Habs we are talking about.

We were talking about out of camp. Injuries do occur, but odds are we should be unscathed after the preseason. (knock on wood)

Unless 2 of our D are moved before the season begins I just can't see both Reinbacher and Hutson staying up. One at most, with Hutson likely being the one, IMO.

If someone gets hurt later, they can bring Struble or Reinbacher up then.

All things being equal I can see both Hutson and Reinbacher starting in Laval. I just think Hutson is the most likely one to make that decision difficult and force himself onto the club. Even if Reinbacher has a great camp, I can't see him staying, nothing against David, it's just a numbers game.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We were talking about out of camp. Injuries do occur, but odds are we should be unscathed after the preseason. (knock on wood)

Unless 2 of our D are moved before the season begins I just can't see both Reinbacher and Hutson staying up. One at most, with Hutson likely being the one, IMO.

If someone gets hurt later, they can bring Struble or Reinbacher up then.

All things being equal I can see both Hutson and Reinbacher starting in Laval. I just think Hutson is the most likely one to make that decision difficult and force himself onto the club. Even if Reinbacher has a great camp, I can't see him staying, nothing against David, it's just a numbers game.
I know it is the prudent thing to do but I doubt Hutson plays in the AHL.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
funny is not really what I think of when I look at the situation but if he ends up anything close to Josi then we can all laugh it up in time.

The problem is the league is not known for having many U-19 blueliners. Only 59 U-19 blueliners have played in more then 30 games in the league's history. In the league's history only 6 U-19 blueliners have had more then 8 points.

Very interested to see him next season to see what he can do as he clearly showed something in Laval and we know he's a lock to play in the NHL with his combo of size/mobility/skating/two way play. I have major doubts about his game but I had similar issues when watching Romanov in the KHL and that turned out fine.
If we look at the wJC against his peers he stood out BIG TIME against the best countries in the world while playing on a team that got relegated. Unfortunately we didnt get to see a lot of him in the last year but he’s legit. The kid was everywhere, is imposing and I personally believe that if allowed( and he will be under MSl) he actually activated offensively really well. Imo he’s going to be our best D in a few years. And I’m a big Ghule fan

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
If Reinbacher isn't better than the top 5 D prospects in this years draft then the opinion I had last year (that they should have picked the best forward, ie Michkov, Leonard, Dvorsky, etc. last year and the best D-man available this year) stands, and could be a pretty bad misstep.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Reinbacher isn't better than the top 5 D prospects in this years draft then the opinion I had last year (that they should have picked the best forward, ie Michkov, Leonard, Dvorsky, etc. last year and the best D-man available this year) stands, and could be a pretty bad misstep.

It depends on how you view better.

He doesn't have the offensive upside of a Buium or a Parekh but those guys will be lucky to defend as good as Reinbacher did in his draft year at their peak.

Reinbacher would be the best defender on the defensive side of the puck in this class. His offensive upside is better than Silayevs, less than Levshunovs, and similar to Dickinson but Dickinson does have a better shot so should score more goals and obviously he's left handed.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Projected draft rankings change every week and month, basing your draft pick around who might be available in 12 months at the next draft doesn't make a lot of sense.

To show how volatile things can be, in his pre-season rankings in September, Bob Mckenzie had the following. In brackets I have included their rank in his last May rankings.

1 - Celebrini (1)
2 - Eiserman (13)
3 - Demidov (2)
4 - Levshunov (4)
5 - Dickinson (6)
6 - Catton (11)
7 - Helenius (9)
8 - Jiricek (Not in top 15)
9 - Silayev (3)
10 - Kiviharju (Not in top 15)
11 - Connelly (15)
12 - Chernyshov (Not in top 15)
13 - Yakemchuk (12)
14 - Parekh (7)
15 - Brandsegg-Nygaard (Not in top 15)
16 - Mews (Not in top 15)

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Is it my opinion that Michkov played in the KHL last season or is it a simple fact our other commentator here got wrong?

Speaking of smug, don’t you think it’s pathetic for someone to demand “scientific” level dialogue from others but then get basic information completely wrong?

In case it hasn’t been clear enough for people like you: I’ve been perfectly supportive of Reinbacher and the decision to pick him over Michkov. But I think you should agree there is no need to smear Michkov’s character or that of any other young player the Habs didn’t pick. It’s a stinky thing to do and a stinky thing for the rest of us to have to read. It makes us look pathetic. Likewise we should aspire to not be in a situation where fans openly lie about basic facts to win arguments (in their head).
A lot of the exact same posters too. It's hilarious to read the pompous paragraph posters these days, they don't realize nobody cares or takes their opinions seriously now.
Here you go :laugh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Talks about Reinbacher not being a top 5 D in this draft is very reminiscent of the talks about Slafkovsky not being a top 10 pick in the Bedard draft.

Reactions: badfish

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

I wouldn't say the top 5 is better than Reinbacher. They might be more offensively gifted but that's it. Levshunov, Buium and Parekh all have questionable defense so I wouldn't necessarily trust them with top D duties.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Curious if you had any opinion about Kyle Woodlief and the draft guide he puts out every year.

Not a fan of Red Line Report and while Kyle is better than most of the obvious hacks like Dobber Prospects and Pronman/Wheeler he is still a very poor scout who makes egregious errors with regards to core fundamentals that scouts can not afford to be wrong on.

All of the public scouting services should be viewed as entertainment first and foremost as they are entirely composed of fan based narratives and guys who couldn't cut it as a competent scouts.

It has been a while since I have read anything from Kyle so I will allow for the possibility that he may have improved but he was well behind much younger hockey minds at an age where he was unlikely to change his spots too drastically.

Any person claiming to be a scout who does not rely primarily on live viewings is a fraud. You simply miss too much watching video and don't get a feel for so many important observations that can only be attained by watching a player play live.

The best scouts on the planet are employed by NHL teams, some will not last long and be exposed as imposters and it is these types that are starting these hockey/prospect publications. I don't in any way bemoan the existence of these entities as they are entertaining and not entirely devoid of facts and insight but I can not tolerate hearing/reading people citing them as authoritative sources of empirical evidence to be wielded in a debate as axioms that we must kneel before.

I believe that much like any skill, scouting is intrinsic for some and they become great scouts....the rest have to work 10 times harder just to be barely relevant. Woodlief, McCagg, Wheeler etc fall under the ladder imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad