Darren Dutchyshen - 1966–2024

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh shit didn't expect this one.

Remember him back in his ITV days in Edmonton was one of the first sports guys I watched growing up.

RIP
This one hit me a bit too, watching Sports Night gave me my night time fix of sports before bed.

It's interesting. With guys like Dutchy and Bob Cole - I never met them. But I feel like I knew them. We welcomed them into our home on a nightly or weekly basis, and they feel like a part of the extended family to an extent.

RIP Darren, condolences to his family.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Awful news. I worked with his daughter in HS and would also chat with him when he’d pick her up. He even gave me a ride home once since we lived in the same neighbourhood. Super good guy and would strike up a conversation with anyone at our grocery store when they ran into him. Rest in peace big guy.

Lehnerd Skinnerd

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2008
Thunder Bay, ON
Damn, terrible news. He was one of my favourites on TSN. I remember when he came back after being off for a year, and it sounded like he was doing better. But haven’t watched SportsCentre in a while, hadn’t heard anything about him since he came back. Had he still been working recently?

RIP

Reactions: CanMerc
Mar 12, 2009
Good voice and energy for the gig. The only guy to ever make me almost care about the CFL the way he talked about it sometimes iirc. RIP.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So sorry to hear about this. Way too soon. The guy was younger than me.

I'll always remember him reviewing some hi-lights from a baseball game and using some incredibly hilarious and shocking language when describing a play at the plate.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I remember when he must have been just starting out on the local sports here in Saskatoon. He was doing an onsite Rider training camp segment in the late 80's wearing a pastel "Miami Vice"-type outfit and we were giving him a hard time. He was good about it.

Came along way from there, to one of the best sports anchors this country has seen. RIP. Sad day.

My Best-Carey

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
OMG... he died?

Was he sick or something? This is unexpected for me.

RIP.

I think he had cancer but I also remember he came back to host sportscaster afterwards so I thought things were trending in the right direction. That was a long time ago though.

Very sad indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad