Dany Heatley or Marian Gaborik?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Who was better at their peak?

• Heatley

Votes: 143 62.4%
  • Gaborik

Votes: 84 36.7%
  • Even

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Don’t really understand the people saying it’s not even close. Heatley’s two best campaigns came in the first two seasons post lockout where a real effort was made by the league to juice scoring from its previous levels and he did it on some awesome Ottawa teams, surrounding by insane talent.

They scored 602 goals in two seasons and ranked 1 and 2. He scored 100 of them and factored in on 208 of them (34.6%).

As others have stated, Gaborik has less to work with. None of the teams he was on were offensive wizards during his best years, not even close.

I’m a fan of giving credit where it is due for what someone actually did and not projecting out for the other if it’s required, so I still think I lean toward Heatley, but it’s at least close.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think some people are forgetting what Gaborik was capable of. In the same years Heatley scored 50, Gaborik had 68 goals and 123 points in 113 games (49 G, 89 P pace), on a team that was 24th and 18th in GF, and with only one teammate cracking 65 points in either year. He also had a 48 goal, 91 point pace over almost 300 games from 05-06 to 09-10. I do think he was capable of producing similarly to Heatley and was better at creating his own chances at least when he was younger in Minnesota than Ottawa Heatley, though I think Heatley was better at using/working with his teammates. And while Heatley had a good playoffs in 2007, Gaborik’s ‘03 and ‘14 playoffs were at least as strong.

Heatley’s big advantage is health though, as he was fairly healthy for his peak years before struggling with injuries later, while Gaborik was pretty consistently a bandaid. I think that’s the big thing that puts Heatley ahead.

That said, I might take 22 year old Heatley pre-car accident over either Ottawa Heatley or any version of Gaborik.

Last edited:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Yeah. Now show Heatley's 100 goals in 2 seasons. Or his 22 points in 20 games in the playoffs in 06.

I hate the guy, but....there's plenty of highlights to choose from.
No absolutely, I voted Heatley as well. But I just want to show people Gaboriks no bum either

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think some people are forgetting what Gaborik was capable of. In the same years Heatley scored 50, Gaborik had 68 goals and 123 points in 113 games (49 G, 89 P pace), on a team that was 24th and 18th in GF, and with only one teammate cracking 65 points in either year. He also had a 48 goal, 91 point pace over almost 300 games from 05-06 to 09-10. I do think he was capable of producing similarly to Heatley and was better at creating his own chances at least when he was younger in Minnesota than Ottawa Heatley, though I think Heatley was better at using/working with his teammates. And while Heatley had a good playoffs in 2007, Gaborik’s ‘03 and ‘14 playoffs were at least as strong.

Heatley’s big advantage is health though, as he was fairly healthy for his peak years before struggling with injuries later, while Gaborik was pretty consistently a bandaid. I think that’s the big thing that puts Heatley ahead.

That said, I might take 22 year old Heatley pre-car accident over either Ottawa Heatley or any version of Gaborik.
Heatley's team really wasn't that great when he scored 89 points with Thrashers, though. So while Gaborik's might have been worse, it's not quite true that Heatley relied on amazing teammates to be able to produce. And since we like pace so much, that was a 95p pace.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Heatley's team really wasn't that great when he scored 89 points with Thrashers, though. So while Gaborik's might have been worse, it's not quite true that Heatley relied on amazing teammates to be able to produce. And since we like pace so much, that was a 95p pace.

To Regal’s point, his performance that year was pre-accident. I think that version of Heatley morphs into something truly special otherwise.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I didn’t say Heatley relied on his teammates to produce though, I said Gaborik had less support and was better at creating on his own. I wasn’t suggesting that Heatley couldn’t produce on his own, but that the production difference wasn’t that large where linemates support couldn’t bridge the gap. I also specified I was comparing Ottawa Heatley to Minnesota Gaborik, and that I would likely take Atlanta Heatley over both

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, I had this exact discussion with one of my friends over the phone about 15 years ago (how do I even remember this?). We landed on Danny Heatley, even as Wild fans.

We both believed Gaborik may be the more skilled player, but he was always getting injured.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Who was better at their peak?

Heatley had two 50 goal campaigns but I think Gaborik was better in creating his own offense. Heatley played with better linemates in his career.

Heatley was one of the best players in the game from 2003-2010. He didn’t make Team Canada by accident.

He burned hot, bright and short.

Gaborik… if he was your best player, you were in trouble.

Reactions: jcs0218

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Heatley had the better peak, but Gaborik had the better career (although Heatley had the more productive career)

I'd take a Stanley Cup over a Calder Trophy or 50G season any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad