CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I'm not a scholar but I was a practising lawyer for over 40 years and I retired with my sense of humour intact...
I have no experience or training in the legal system but I would argue that it's even harder to practice law with no sense of humor, otherwise the emotions might eat you.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I have no experience or training in the legal system but I would argue that it's even harder to practice law with no sense of humor, otherwise the emotions might eat you.
Perhaps. I was a "papers and documents" guy, mostly just estates, trusts, wills, etc. Not a lot of drama. (Probate is nowhere near as exciting as that TV-staple scene where you gather the family in your office and read the contents of the will. Which never happened for me.)

The reason I got into this thread in the first place -- back when it took only one or two Roman numerals to name it -- was because of Baum's bankruptcy hearings and while I enjoyed the judge's rulings and turns of phrase, I hung around for the denouement.

Who knew it would take another 20 years or so.

Reactions: Llama19

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I can't speak for Kev or what the thought was behind the wide radii, but it may be more of an indicator of secondary market fans? Fans who don't live within the 50mi radius from a team's city limits (a team's market area), but could be a fan of either. To use an example on the map, Cleveland. That's a city that falls within both Detroit's and Columbus' secondary area, and a hockey fan there is just as likely to drive the ~140 miles to Nationwide as it would be to drive the ~170 miles to Little Caesars.

I could, and very likely am, way off base as to what was intended... but that's really the only thing I can come up with when I thought about it.

I knew more Red Wings fans then I did Blue Jackets fans in Cleveland. Which wasn't hard because I knew literally no Blue Jackets fans.

I think people are overrating proximity when it comes to where the allegiances fall if the city doesn't have a team. If your city doesn't have a team located there or getting the games regularly not every fan is going to automatically pick the team that's the shortest drive.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Is it wise to allow private business to set their own tax rate on goods and have the tax revenue go into that business owner’s pockets?

If it puts revenue in the pockets of ordinary people who wouldn’t have the opportunity without it then why not?

It’s done more often than you would like to believe.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If it puts revenue in the pockets of ordinary people who wouldn’t have the opportunity without it then why not?

It’s done more often than you would like to believe.
Just seems tax rates should be set by elected officials and not by private business. How does the tax money go to ordinary people in this situation?

Reactions: Edenjung

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just seems tax rates should be set by elected officials and not by private business. How does the tax money go to ordinary people in this situation?

I’m talking about job creation. Economy stimulation. Federal government is currently pumping billions in public monies into Arizona for a handful of companies in the tech industry.

So far what seems to be proposed here with this theme park district law is allowing for a surcharge to be added on top of existing taxes that would go back into the public coffers.

It’s very similar to what was proposed with TED, except it won’t include 8-30 years worth of tax breaks.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Looks like Salt Lake City has set up a webpage similar to what Tempe did for TED.
Not nearly the same amount of info but it’s a start….

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I think people are overrating proximity when it comes to where the allegiances fall if the city doesn't have a team. If your city doesn't have a team located there or getting the games regularly not every fan is going to automatically pick the team that's the shortest drive.

Agree 100%. I'd think that "distance" would be the third factor.

Time and TV are by far the most important.

Time - you just couldn't "grow up" an Ottawa Senators fan in the 1980s. So a chart of "favorite team" for people in Ottawa sorted by age is going to tilt in favor of Montreal for people 50+

And what games you get on TV is obviously huge. The TV map tends to follow state/province lines a lot closer that distance to teams.

I've brought up my "Rochester NY got Sportschannel Mets/Islanders" thing dozens of times.

DETROIT and six to eight other NHL/MLB teams are closer depending on when you were counting.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I knew more Red Wings fans then I did Blue Jackets fans in Cleveland. Which wasn't hard because I knew literally no Blue Jackets fans.

Ok. Now apply that same logic to those who say that there is no money to be made from fans in Quebec City because they already all support the Habs.

Go.....

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

That isn't a stretch for them to want to be Red Wings fans over being Blue Jackets fans. By the time Columbus got their team, the Red Wings were quite literally still in the height of a legendary dynasty mode that saw them continually kicking the crap out of every team there. This was also at a time when the Penguins didn't even know if they were going to be in Pittsburgh or not. Being a Wings fan in the late 90's and early 00's was like being a Yankees fan back then and not ever being from New York.

Expansion teams are banking on the younger generations to fall in love with them and become fans. Heck, living in Minnesota, almost everyone born before the 1990s still talks about the North Stars over the Wild. It didn't help matters any that they won the whole thing in '99, either. It takes time to build out a fanbase. Double the amount for the Blue Jackets, as was seen with the Thrashers and, to an extent, the Preds, because the expansion draft was not nearly as fruitful as it was for Vegas and Seattle. None of those 3 teams were making splashes year in and year out.

Reactions: squashmaple

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This comes a cross as kind of petty.

From a pure business perspective it doesn’t.

Smith isn’t hiding the fact he wants $1.6 billion in public money over the next 30 years via a sales tax increase everywhere.

At the worst… the opposition to TED only came up with $700 million in public funding (primarily through a tax break.)

Reactions: Summer Rose

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Ok. Now apply that same logic to those who say that there is no money to be made from fans in Quebec City because they already all support the Habs.

Go.....
I'm literally one of the biggest advocates for QC and SouthernOntario2 on this board for the last 12 years.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
That isn't a stretch for them to want to be Red Wings fans over being Blue Jackets fans. By the time Columbus got their team, the Red Wings were quite literally still in the height of a legendary dynasty mode that saw them continually kicking the crap out of every team there. This was also at a time when the Penguins didn't even know if they were going to be in Pittsburgh or not. Being a Wings fan in the late 90's and early 00's was like being a Yankees fan back then and not ever being from New York.

Expansion teams are banking on the younger generations to fall in love with them and become fans. Heck, living in Minnesota, almost everyone born before the 1990s still talks about the North Stars over the Wild. It didn't help matters any that they won the whole thing in '99, either. It takes time to build out a fanbase. Double the amount for the Blue Jackets, as was seen with the Thrashers and, to an extent, the Preds, because the expansion draft was not nearly as fruitful as it was for Vegas and Seattle. None of those 3 teams were making splashes year in and year out.

Those fans that I knew were older and were fans before the Wings were good.

My point is simply that if you don't have a team in your media market you're not automatically going to pick the one that is closest. Like if you're in Indianapolis you aren't going to default to the Blackhawks because they are the nearest to you.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Yeah, that wasn't really directed at you per sey but rather anyone who uses that argument.
Is there anyone here who actually uses that argument? Seems like the kind of argument posted on Twitter by a bot account with a blue check than anything a real person would make. But I've also seen the posts people make about Atlanta, so I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility.

No, the number of Habs fans in QC is no reason to avoid putting a team there. I'd love to see QC join the NHL with Houston, Atlanta, and Phoenix. However, looking at QC from an impartial business sense, the market is small, has limited corporate support, and there's no telling whether PKP is even interested anymore (and further, whether or not anyone else there has US$1bn burning a hole in their pocket).

I'd love nothing more than to see that blue sweater make a return. But there are hurdles to leap, and a BoG who will have to be convinced.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Is there anyone here who actually uses that argument? Seems like the kind of argument posted on Twitter by a bot account with a blue check than anything a real person would make. But I've also seen the posts people make about Atlanta, so I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility.

No, the number of Habs fans in QC is no reason to avoid putting a team there. I'd love to see QC join the NHL with Houston, Atlanta, and Phoenix. However, looking at QC from an impartial business sense, the market is small, has limited corporate support, and there's no telling whether PKP is even interested anymore (and further, whether or not anyone else there has US$1bn burning a hole in their pocket).

I'd love nothing more than to see that blue sweater make a return. But there are hurdles to leap, and a BoG who will have to be convinced.
The BOG will never be convinced because they still have that "must get American TV deal" mentality. QC doesn't help that. At best, QC would be a consistent middle of the pack team. Not going to make a drastic increase on revenue but also won't bring it down.

Yes, they do. They will regular bring up market saturation specifically tied to an already served NHL market due to the Habs.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The BOG will never be convinced because they still have that "must get American TV deal" mentality. QC doesn't help that. At best, QC would be a consistent middle of the pack team. Not going to make a drastic increase on revenue but also won't bring it down.

Yes, they do. They will regular bring up market saturation specifically tied to an already served NHL market due to the Habs.
While you're not wrong about the league's focus on US broadcast deals, one must take care to never say never.

How many people thought Atlanta would be a part of the conversation to get an expansion team when the Thrashers moved in 2011? I might have been among the only people who had a level of optimism that the region would ever get another go at it. Today, Atlanta is firmly in the conversation, with most insiders now bullish on the idea themselves.

There's no reason at all QC can't also make the same return, regardless of the idea they're "already served" by another team. There are challenges, but they're not insurmountable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad