Post-Game Talk: Combo Breaker

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I really don't think it's wise to draw major conclusions about the playoffs from games 60-82 in a season where we are in the playoffs.

Most players out there are visibly giving 85-90% effort right now. Sometimes we forget just how much faster, more committed (in terms of man marking, forechecking, and back checking) the playoffs are.

Guys like Lindgren and Trouba are, at least in theory, built more for the playoff games with less time and space.

That said, I wished we played each of them a few minutes a game less. In my ideal world, we give 2-3 extra shifts a game to Schneider when Trouba comes back above what he was playing before. In the same way, I'd like more and more Gustafsson/Jones shifts with Fox that start in the offensive zone, with Lindgren-Schneider covering the off minutes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Also Avs fans on Twitter are stupid.

MacK deserves an assist because Rantanen “pushed” Lindgren’s stick which caused the goal.

No, Lindgren’s dumb ass tried to slide that puck to Igor and ended up sliding it through him instead.

The rule is lame so anyone pissed over that has a valid reason to be so, but there’s no need to distort reality.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
There are 2 big reasons not to really buy into the NYR.

#55 and #8.

They’re at a massive disadvantage when those guys are out there and one of them will be on the ice for 40+minutes of every game.

Kreider and Zibanejad don’t inspire a ton of confidence in me either but those guys have shown up in the playoffs before.

Panarin is a wild card. I’m going to be annoyed if he is the only one of the top guys who shows up this year.
I'm more, if just marginally, confident of Kreider bringing it than Panarin, who has historically not shown up when it becomes Kumite full-contact. Can the old dog learn a new trick by not trying to force cross ice passes into a mine trap?

And to pin the D woes on Lindgren and Trouba is unfair. Fox is very vulnerable this year, takes penalties a lot when he gets beat. We all know Miller is going to get walked at least a couple of times per game. Gus makes braindead plays, you can count on that too. When it's a tight, close quarters, combat type of game, Lindgren and Trouba will rise up.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

MacK deserves an assist because Rantanen “pushed” Lindgren’s stick which caused the goal.

No, Lindgren’s dumb ass tried to slide that puck to Igor and ended up sliding it through him instead.

The rule is lame so anyone pissed over that has a valid reason to be so, but there’s no need to distort reality.

They got a gift goal and are complaining that the gift didn't give MacK an assist.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Trouba has been a beast in the playoffs for us

It’s lindgren. Rushes back last night and what’s he do scores a goal against us.

But imo if we get this Panarin we are going to be a force and I think we will be cause for the first time he has real linemates to play with

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I'm more, if just marginally, confident of Kreider bringing it than Panarin, who has historically not shown up when it becomes Kumite full-contact. Can the old dog learn a new trick by not trying to force cross ice passes into a mine trap?

And to pin the D woes on Lindgren and Trouba is unfair. Fox is very vulnerable this year, takes penalties a lot when he gets beat. We all know Miller is going to get walked at least a couple of times per game. Gus makes braindead plays, you can count on that too. When it's a tight, close quarters, combat type of game, Lindgren and Trouba will rise up.
It's kinda hard to know whether Lindgren and Trouba will be good during the playoffs.

They're not puck movers, and you need that in today's NHL. But I also feel like they play with an edge that our other defensemen don't. And I like that for the playoffs.

Whether you think it was dirty or not, Trouba's hit on Crosby two seasons ago was the turning point of that series.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
It's kinda hard to know whether Lindgren and Trouba will be good during the playoffs.

They're not puck movers, and you need that in today's NHL. But I also feel like they play with an edge that our other defensemen don't. And I like that for the playoffs.

Whether you think it was dirty or not, Trouba's hit on Crosby two seasons ago was the turning point of that series.
Agree about the edge and physicality that Lindgren and Trouba can bring. Puck movers are so important, but I tend to think that in the playoffs it is more about making a solid first pass out or get it out of danger and live for the next shift vs where it's all about stretch passes all the time. Skating it out will still be important. Smart puck management is what's it's about at the end of the day.

Reactions: Maliks PlusMinus

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I’m watching the bruins and panthers lose regularly and no one says boo. I mean the panthers have lost like 5 or 6 of their last what 8? Is that right or close?

Carolina just lost to Pittsburgh badly no one says a word haven’t gained any ground on us at all and the one chance they had to do it in their barn we shut them out. No one says a word.

Does anyone see us not winning the Presidents trophy at this point when you look at the standings? And I don’t think anyone has called us the best team in the league yet lol
Good let’s keep it that way. Low expectations going into the playoffs

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I believe that low danger shit can become high danger shit, if the defense and team doesn't know what the hell they are doing, AND "puck luck" comes into play at some point. Just look at how Carolina plays, shooting literally everything at the net. Rebounds, chase and retrieve and eventually a team gets tired and capitalize.
Low danger shit is by definition a nothing burger. If a team allows to get scored on these then this team is dreg

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

IMO Lindgren and Cuylle (?) deserve assists (on Kakko’s unassisted goal) way more than McK

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Good let’s keep it that way. Low expectations going into the playoffs
the annoying thing is that because they've been a top team all year, they will get clowned for losing if they do as if the expectation was high. but they don't get the airtime/credit for high expectation before the fact. it's lose/lose.

they're just not gonna get the same love from casuals or analytic media types. refer to my earlier reasons why

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
the annoying thing is that because they've been a top team all year, they will get clowned for losing if they do as if the expectation was high. but they don't get the airtime/credit for high expectation before the fact. it's lose/lose.

they're just not gonna get the same love from casuals or analytic media types. refer to my earlier reasons why
We don’t need love from casuals. F ‘em.
Do you hear how many Ranger fans are in every other building? That’s why other fan bases hate us. Our fans take over their buildings. And not just some cheers. There are LOUD “Igor” and “Let’s go Rangers” chants. We have enough fans, we don’t need bandwagoners.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Agreed. Colorado looked a lot like the hurricanes, a lot of speed but couldn’t really do anything with it.
I think the rangers played great D. Colorado is way more skilled than Carolina but I agree they looked quite like Carolina today. Rangers kept them to the outside mostly.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
We don’t need love from casuals. F ‘em.
Do you hear how many Ranger fans are in every other building? That’s why other fan bases hate us. Our fans take over their buildings. And not just some cheers. There are LOUD “Igor” and “Let’s go Rangers” chants. We have enough fans, we don’t need bandwagoners.
I agree. i just want the team to f***in win

• Love
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m reading there’s a bit of Roslovic concern. I think he - and Wennberg will be alright. When players join a team mid season they get a bit more spotlight. New teammates feeding them to see what the new guys can do. Then they kind of settle into their role. I think this is that settling-in period where the new guys are trying to figure things out.
This coaching staff seems pretty switched on tho. They’ll end up in spots to succeed.
After a couple weeks I can foresee them both doing some good standout stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad