Coachella Firebirds: News and Discussion

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah, he knows as well as anybody that he's an AHL player and is likely to be a rock for the Firebirds next season with all of his experience in the AHL. Good signing.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
Anybody know or heard of any overage CHL players that could sign with Coachella Valley or Seattle.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Is it just me, or does it seem strange to anyone else that a franchise that is trying to push their dedication to the climate and being green chose to put their AHL affiliate and build an icerink in the desert?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Is it just me, or does it seem strange to anyone else that a franchise that is trying to push their dedication to the climate and being green chose to put their AHL affiliate and build an icerink in the desert?

Definitely not lost on me, so I checked it out. They are covering the parking areas with Solar Panels to provide power to the arena.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Definitely not lost on me, so I checked it out. They are covering the parking areas with Solar Panels to provide power to the arena.
I don't think the big impact issue is with the energy, but with the refrigeration gasses. The carbon footprint to maintain an icerink in the southern desert is likely to be ridiculously higher than in a northern winter climate.

I know that newer rinks produce less CFCs and HCFCs but produce more CO2. Maybe they have a new cleaner method for refrigeration and it isn't as big of an issue as it used to be?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Reading Friedman's 32 thoughts I got an idea.

9. Another European-based coach who may be getting North American attention is Serge Aubin, with Eisbaren Berlin in Germany. Born in Val D’Or, Quebec, Aubin played 374 NHL games for Colorado, Columbus and Atlanta before heading overseas. It could be for an AHL coaching role.

Francis still needs to hire an AHL head coach and Aubin has been pretty successful in Berlin winning back-to-back DEL titles.

If he's really looking for an AHL role I think this might be an interesting choice.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Reading Friedman's 32 thoughts I got an idea.

Francis still needs to hire an AHL head coach and Aubin has been pretty successful in Berlin winning back-to-back DEL titles.

If he's really looking for an AHL role I think this might be an interesting choice.
I feel pretty certain Bylsma is the guy. He’s a Seattle hire and has largely worked with the Kraken signed players in Charlotte from my understanding of how things worked there this year.

Reactions: tank44

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I feel pretty certain Bylsma is the guy. He’s a Seattle hire and has largely worked with the Kraken signed players in Charlotte from my understanding of how things worked there this year.

I've got to look back at Francis end of season presser once more but I thought he said that he needs to sign players and hire a coach for the Firebirds.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Called it. I couldn't figure a single reason they brought him as assistant coach focusing on Kraken signed AHL players just for fun. They wanted to lock him up.
I think he will be a good fit for the Kraken's AHL team but please no to Hakstol replacement when the time comes.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Considering Bylsma's penchant for fourth line grinders that remind him of himself and failure to develop talent as a head coach I'm not so sure I understand that hiring for an AHL team. He'd honestly have made more sense as the first Kraken head coach...but that's more of a damning indictment of Hakstol than it is a suggestion that he should be a candidate to be your second HC.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Considering Bylsma's penchant for fourth line grinders that remind him of himself and failure to develop talent as a head coach I'm not so sure I understand that hiring for an AHL team. He'd honestly have made more sense as the first Kraken head coach...but that's more of a damning indictment of Hakstol than it is a suggestion that he should be a candidate to be your second HC.
Bylsma was good at developing team structure, playing 2 way hockey, and having solid team play where players back checked and played together. That's good for a lot of these young kids who come in all about scoring goals and being stars. He should be able to help them become complete players. I think he will do just fine.

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
Toni Söderholm who is the head coach of Germany has spoken very highly of Campbell. She has developed players with their individual play and she has done a good job with making the power kill unit better. The players has welcomed her methods gladly.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Surprised Bucek was not signed to an ELC to be honest. He lead his team in points both in the regular season (21 more than next closest) and playoffs. Led the team in +/- during the regular season as well. He is only 23 years old as well.

He also played for the same men's pro team as Nemec did.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Surprised Bucek was not signed to an ELC to be honest. He lead his team in points both in the regular season (21 more than next closest) and playoffs. Led the team in +/- during the regular season as well. He is only 23 years old as well.

He also played for the same men's pro team as Nemec did.

Would he still be eligable for a ELC since he's 23?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Would he still be eligable for a ELC since he's 23?
Yeah. Should work. From Capfriendly, NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
  • 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year
He won't be 24 till Dec 2022, so we should easily be able to sign him to a 2 year ELC.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Excited about this! Spent a couple of years of my life in the Coachella Valley where I eventually became a Ducks fan. Now I've been back in Finland for almost a decade since but when I visit again I'll make sure to catch a Firebirds game while there. It's still such a crazy thought of a high level hockey team in the area especially considering how blistering hot that place can get. I met one passionate hockey fan who lived in the area who was a Yotes fan.

Basically what I wanted to say was good luck and it's great to have a team from Coachella aboard! Seattle as well of course :D

Reactions: The Marquis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad