Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
A lot of D-corps are built that way now. 1 puck-mover and a 5 redwoods. Vegas were like that last year. Vancouver's D is built this way. To a degree so is Florida's this year, and even moreso last year.

Personally I think it's the right approach. The 5 redwoods don't all have to be killers, but bring reach and length and most of all defend well. I only need one D-man who operate at the top of the umbrella on the PP.
Your best teams have at least 2 very good PMD. Vegas (AP\ST), Fla (Montour\Forsling\OEL). NYR (Fox, Gustaffson) Dallas (Heiskanen, Harley)

Boston has #73 and #6 isn't as good as any of those guys PM ability yet.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Mac's only 26.
It is not just MacAvoy, but at times we has fans get impatient and want more out this team, but lets be honest one thing these players and I am pretty sure they hear the criticism and they might be their own biggest critics, but you never at least I have not heard whine about it, they are pretty standup in that way. I really feel that this wants to win but just might have the horses, but they do try and compete and stepping up, I think Pasta has tried to be more physical even had a fight Carlo, Coyle, even Zacka who is struggling big time, still plays the 200 ft game and there are others. I have watched Boston teams for years and finger pointing and blaming the fans and the media was always a fall back for them, I don't see that with these kids, I think they really do care, but they have to understand as fans we do also. Lets just keep hoping for the best.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It is not just MacAvoy, but at times we has fans get impatient and want more out this team, but lets be honest one thing these players and I am pretty sure they hear the criticism and they might be their own biggest critics, but you never at least I have not heard whine about it, they are pretty standup in that way. I really feel that this wants to win but just might have the horses, but they do try and compete and stepping up, I think Pasta has tried to be more physical even had a fight Carlo, Coyle, even Zacka who is struggling big time, still plays the 200 ft game and there are others. I have watched Boston teams for years and finger pointing and blaming the fans and the media was always a fall back for them, I don't see that with these kids, I think they really do care, but they have to understand as fans we do also. Lets just keep hoping for the best.
U hope they understand they get millions of dollars while several people here pay a lot
of money. I have zero issue with their compete.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Your best teams have at least 2 very good PMD. Vegas (AP\ST), Fla (Montour\Forsling\OEL). NYR (Fox, Gustaffson) Dallas (Heiskanen, Harley)

Boston has #73 and #6 isn't as good as any of those guys PM ability yet.

I look at Pietrangelo, Forsling, even OEL now as defensive types who makes a good first pass. You don't see them rush the puck much.

I don't see transition as an issue for this D-corps moving forward with McAvoy and Lohrei. Lohrei could skate circles around say an OEL.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I look at Pietrangelo, Forsling, even OEL now as defensive types who makes a good first pass. You don't see them rush the puck much.

I don't see transition as an issue for this D-corps moving forward with McAvoy and Lohrei. Lohrei could skate circles around say an OEL.
I would say that Redwoods to me are Hague, McNab, Hakanpaa, Carlo, Forbort Mikkola,types.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would say that Redwoods to me are Hague, McNab, Hakanpaa, Carlo, Mikkola,
types.

AP is 6'3 210-215 ish. Even OEL is 6'2 although he's a bit lighter. Both guys have evolved their game as they've gotten older to a more conservative style from what they were back when they were 25. Both have good sticks, good reach.

Really now most D in the league can make a good consistent first pass. It's not like years ago when all your defensive types either went off the glass and out, or deferred to their more mobile partners. The stick technology helps too, it's way easier to make and receive crisp hard passes now than it was say 15-20 years ago, even 10 years ago they've come that far.

I think we're just traumatized watching Forbort turn the puck over in his own zone far too often. I really didn't understand inserting him into the line-up at the start of this series after missing 2 months of game action.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
AP is 6'3 210-215 ish. Even OEL is 6'2 although he's a bit lighter. Both guys have evolved their game as they've gotten older to a more conservative style from what they were back when they were 25. Both have good sticks, good reach.

Really now most D in the league can make a good consistent first pass. It's not like years ago when all your defensive types either went off the glass and out, or deferred to their more mobile partners. The stick technology helps too, it's way easier to make and receive crisp hard passes now than it was say 15-20 years ago, even 10 years ago they've come that far.

I think we're just traumatized watching Forbort turn the puck over in his own zone far too often. I really didn't understand inserting him into the line-up at the start of this series after missing 2 months of game action.

The Bruins should get some of those new sticks.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Are there public stats on icings, missed passes in additions to TO?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
A lot of D-corps are built that way now. 1 puck-mover and a 5 redwoods. Vegas were like that last year. Vancouver's D is built this way. To a degree so is Florida's this year, and even moreso last year.

Personally I think it's the right approach. The 5 redwoods don't all have to be killers, but bring reach and length and most of all defend well. I only need one D-man who operate at the top of the umbrella on the PP.

Those teams probably have centers and wingers that can transition the puck.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Those teams probably have centers and wingers that can transition the puck.

Absolutely. Especially wingers I find they have a lot more responsibility now to get the puck through the neutral zone and across the offensive blueline. Transitions are a lot quicker and especially zone defense the C is often still down low when the defending team gets possession. Bruins lack of speed on the wing is an issue.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Absolutely. Especially wingers I find they have a lot more responsibility now to get the puck through the neutral zone and across the offensive blueline. Transitions are a lot quicker and especially zone defense the C is often still down low when the defending team gets possession. Bruins lack of speed on the wing is an issue.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the Bruins team makeup. But out of the 8 Florida starting wingers, are there even 3 we'd call "super fast"? I don't see that. I do see excellent puck movers (via passing).

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 2.21.15 PM.png

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not disagreeing with you on the Bruins team makeup. But out of the 8 Florida starting wingers, are there even 3 we'd call "super fast"? I don't see that. I do see excellent puck movers (via passing).

View attachment 871265

They don't have any really speedy forwards. Bennett is pretty quick. Barkov's skating took a big step from last year to this year. He added another gear.

But I would none of their wingers are slow or below average skaters. Tkachuk is no speedster but like you said passes the puck very well. He sort of QB's their PP from below the goal line which is unique.

Bruins by my count dressed 4 below-average skating forwards (Maroon, Brazeau, Geekie, JVR). I think that needs to be address this off-season. But I also felt it was an issue last off-season and it wasn't or couldn't be addressed. Boqvist but he was no sure thing to make the team.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The amount wingers that can go blue line to blue line on this team is... woof.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The amount wingers that can go blue line to blue line on this team is... woof.

I still have nightmares from last year watching Foligno struggle to carry the puck up ice through the neutral zone and getting closed on quickly by Panther back-checkers.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
I'll say this about McAvoy, i've been taking him to task over the last couple of years playoffs but he flat out came and played last night.

What a performance.

Reactions: bob77

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'll say this about McAvoy, i've been taking him to task over the last couple of years playoffs but he flat out came and played last night.

What a performance.
Same.

Last night was the first time in awhile I saw that version of McAvoy and I loved it. Bring it again Charlie for two more games and show us what we all thought was there lying dormant.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Another guy I would try to move. I thought sure he would be our next captain, but after his playoff performance I don’t want to see him back. He proved to wilt when it counted. We need to move on from this type. Let him be an all star from the neck down elsewhere.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
guy has all the tools but his hockey iq is near the bottom.
that play yesterday when he passed up the shot he scored on 2 days prior was the kicker.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
guy has all the tools but his hockey iq is near the bottom.
that play yesterday when he passed up the shot he scored on 2 days prior was the kicker.
His forwards were slow and got beat like a drum.

He didn’t have the best postseason puck bounced on him but this is an elite player and he’ll be fine.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad