Injury Report: Chabot broken hand, 4-6 weeks

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What none of our players have is the ability to control the pace of the game.

We had Alfredsson, Karlsson, Stone who could do this before but this team has no player who can lead on the ice like that.

It is always reckless high energy skilled play but never really tactical.

Need someone who can slow the game down to our advantage.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Would VGK fit the description of a mobile puck moving D corps? I'm not sure as I haven't given it a lot of thought before. I think Pietrangelo and Theodore fit that description, but not sure about the rest. The rest seem more like heavier, defensive oriented defenders, but again, I haven't really examined it that much. Pietrangelo is pretty well rounded defender I'd think as well. VGK have been called a "heavy" team by many, but not sure where the focus was in that assessment i.e., forwards, defensemen, both.

Next the year cap will go up $4 m to $87.5 m, which is about 4.7%. Could it go up 10.3% the following year? That seems like a lot, but I suppose it's possible. I guess we'll see.
Yeah, I meant VGK's D is not a model for being overly mobile and offensive outside of Theodore and Petro and to a lesser extent Martinez. My impression is that they favoured size and shot blocking with someone like McNabb on the top pair and Hague getting the minutes he did moreso than they did the new age defensive mold of high mobility.

Anyway, I look at how successful COL was with D jumping into the rush and playing a major role on transitions and rush support and I feel we will be playing a game a lot more akin to that than the Vegas model of getting the puck in deep and coming in waves. Anyway, I favour Chabot over a more defensive minded D for his ability to skate and keep up offensively with our forwards.

As for the cap the 4M was a projection and the projections are always conservative and I'm just not sure they are fully inflation adjusted yet. I'm no economist but as everything is going up in cost and wages for the average person rising as well (I employ 20 staff and its staggering how much more we pay now compared to a couple years ago) I think this will kick in dramatically at the top end too, for better or worse. HRR numbers could very well go up with inflation and the salary cap will have to rise with it. I know it's not nearly that simple but considering we have seen 15% 2 year increases in the past I think the conditions are very ripe for the same thing to happen in the coming years. Pure speculation on my part.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah, I meant VGK's D is not a model for being overly mobile and offensive outside of Theodore and Petro and to a lesser extent Martinez. My impression is that they favoured size and shot blocking with someone like McNabb on the top pair and Hague getting the minutes he did moreso than they did the new age defensive mold of high mobility.

Anyway, I look at how successful COL was with D jumping into the rush and playing a major role on transitions and rush support and I feel we will be playing a game a lot more akin to that than the Vegas model of getting the puck in deep and coming in waves. Anyway, I favour Chabot over a more defensive minded D for his ability to skate and keep up offensively with our forwards.

As for the cap the 4M was a projection and the projections are always conservative and I'm just not sure they are fully inflation adjusted yet. I'm no economist but as everything is going up in cost and wages for the average person rising as well (I employ 20 staff and its staggering how much more we pay now compared to a couple years ago) I think this will kick in dramatically at the top end too, for better or worse. HRR numbers could very well go up with inflation and the salary cap will have to rise with it. I know it's not nearly that simple but considering we have seen 15% 2 year increases in the past I think the conditions are very ripe for the same thing to happen in the coming years. Pure speculation on my part.
OK, got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I hear you on cost increases these days. I figured out that my costs have risen 20% and that was about 3 or 4 months ago (not the entire year) and it did not include food. When I hear COLA numbers like 3.4%, I really wonder where these stats are coming from & what they are based on. They seem to be misaligned to reality.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
this is Dorion sand DJs teams. Are they not confident in their own product that they built?

If next year staios and the new GM don’t say “we are making the playoffs” I’ll say the same about them
Jesus dude, that sounds really dumb. Imagine the owner and POHO saying the team still needed work, while the coach and GM were claiming expectations were playoffs.

You’d be bitching at the top of your lungs about that mixed messaging in here for sure.

I get it, you’re disgruntled, but put some effort into man! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Relapsing

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Love the in fighting in here today.

Feels like old times.
I think it's not a bad idea to remind ourselves that this is a hockey website to discuss hockey stuff. I think this board can get overly focused on the fan side of things. It can seem quite futile. We can get into our camps and tribes and stuff, but its not likely you can change anyones mind.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Until the current CBA expires, it is limited to a max increase of 5% per year, there is wording in it, if revenues justify it, to go higher, but that would be have to be a negotiation.
Also the CBA increases are now based on previous 2 years of HRR not 1 anymore.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Jesus dude, that sounds really dumb. Imagine the owner and POHO saying the team still needed work, while the coach and GM were claiming expectations were playoffs.

You’d be bitching at the top of your lungs about that mixed messaging in here for sure.

I get it, you’re disgruntled, but put some effort into man! ;)
Yeah I would be bitching about the POHO saying we need work. I would for once have Dorion back

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The issue is that Dorion said 2-3 years ago that we were trying to compete and he has utterly failed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The issue is that Dorion said 2-3 years ago that we were trying to compete and he has utterly failed.
Mm yeah. I wonder if he actually though gidbrannson and josh brown and Derek Stephan we’re gonna take us to the promise land. I honestly don’t know.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
What are you guys even arguing about? Literally everyone knows that missing the playoffs this year would be a huge failure for the front office that assembled this team, and that there's no chance Dorion would survive it.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Until the current CBA expires, it is limited to a max increase of 5% per year, there is wording in it, if revenues justify it, to go higher, but that would be have to be a negotiation.
Also the CBA increases are now based on previous 2 years of HRR not 1 anymore.
Ahh, I didn't know this. Nonetheless the cap has increased more than 5% 3 times under the current CBA and considering how flat it has been going back as far 2019-20 I think it might be ripe for another exception, HRR permitting.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What are you guys even arguing about? Literally everyone knows that missing the playoffs this year would be a huge failure for the front office that assembled this team, and that there's no chance Dorion would survive it.
It wouldn’t be a HUGE disappointment in terms of the realities of the team, division, land league, hence why the new owner and POHO aren’t perturbed, and why the expectations outside of the fanbase is more that we’re a bubble team that could/should get in.

But, It would be a HUGE disappointment for us playoff starved Sens fans for sure, and the players would be really disappointed as well.

Those are two different things though, and they don’t think we have that drive and desire from top down this season which is pretty weird. Throw in a bunch of early injuries and all of a sudden it looks like we need to circle the wagons.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
There was a 2nd point that I made in the 2nd sentence of my post. It was that perhaps a different style (defensive oriented) defender is a better fit or greater need. Like maybe what we need is another Zub, a stout defensive oriented defender versus another offensive oriented defender which we have no lack of.

As far as cap space next year is concerned, I hope that it will be in as abundant as we hope it will be when it is all said & done. It seems like it can disappear quick enough. We will probably want to sign an expensive winger for to play in top 6 as Tarasenko and Kubalik (not a huge loss) terms will expire.

Anyhow, I can see both sides of this debate. In my mind, there's both pros & cons to each argument.
Sanderson's 8 million contract which starts next year will eat up a lot of that free cap space but they should still have some room to breathe depending on what they do with Tank.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ahh, I didn't know this. Nonetheless the cap has increased more than 5% 3 times under the current CBA and considering how flat it has been going back as far 2019-20 I think it might be ripe for another exception, HRR permitting.
That was the technically the previous CBA, the new MOU is where a lot of the HRR changes are, and cap changes are, from the renegotiated deal, to return to play after Covid killed the end of the season.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It wouldn’t be a HUGE disappointment in terms of the realities of the team, division, land league, hence why the new owner and POHO aren’t perturbed, and why the expectations outside of the fanbase is more that we’re a bubble team that could/should get in.

But, It would be a HUGE disappointment for us playoff starved Sens fans for sure, and the players would be really disappointed as well.

Those are two different things though, and they don’t think we have that drive and desire from top down this season which is pretty weird. Throw in a bunch of early injuries and all of a sudden it looks like we need to circle the wagons.
Without getting too involved here and I am admittedly cherry picking, but if it takes a team 6-7 years of non playoffs to start competing and making playoffs, Im not convinced rebuilds are worth it. Thats too long. Just toiling away in mediocrity might actually be more fun lol.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sanderson's 8 million contract which starts next year will eat up a lot of that free cap space but they should still have some room to breathe depending on what they do with Tank.
More like where Tank decides to play next season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Without getting too involved here and I am admittedly cherry picking, but if it takes a team 6-7 years of non playoffs to start competing and making playoffs, Im not convinced rebuilds are worth it. Thats too long. Just toiling away in mediocrity might actually be more fun lol.
There are lots of teams that toil that long and longer without rebuilds. There is a ton of luck and team building skill that goes into things.

You think that toiling away in mediocrity may be fun, but it really isn’t in my opinion. Also, people hated it in here when we did it for years. The problem with that is you don’t have much of a chance to get better when you’re not able to sign the best FA’s and you don’t draft high enough to get stars.

I’d MUCH rather spend the time tanking, drafting, and then watching the core young players get better year after year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just love the way Giroux can slow down the game & control the play & make some perfect passes, great tip by Greig & a great goal by Tkachuk who continues to lead this team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
There are lots of teams that toil that long and longer without rebuilds. There is a ton of luck and team building skill that goes into things.

You think that toiling away in mediocrity may be fun, but it really isn’t in my opinion. Also, people hated it in here when we did it for years. The problem with that is you don’t have much of a chance to get better when you’re not able to sign the best FA’s and you don’t draft high enough to get stars.

I’d MUCH rather spend the time tanking, drafting, and then watching the core young players get better year after year.
Im not even saying im right, im just putting it out there. Thats a long damn time to hope to be competitive again. Thats almost a decade lol. Now, that 6-7 number may not actually be accurate for our team anyways and is sort of based on the doom and gloom discussion, but if that happened, its approaching a decade and thats pretty f***ing nuts imo. That said, youve clearly enjoyed the journey more than I. I had fun with the first rebuild with Zbad, Ek, etc. And maybe this one was just too soon after to prospect/development follow all over again.

In something like Buffalo's case, they've been rebuilding for more than a 1/4 of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Karlssons swagger imbues the team with swagger.

Karlsson controls the ice and in turn makes his team feel like they are in control.

He elevates the game of his teammates and he demands a winning attitude.
The Pens had lots of swagger tonight. And that added swagger has them at 3-5 so far this year. Incredible.

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What none of our players have is the ability to control the pace of the game.

We had Alfredsson, Karlsson, Stone who could do this before but this team has no player who can lead on the ice like that.

It is always reckless high energy skilled play but never really tactical.

Need someone who can slow the game down to our advantage.

That's hockey IQ. We don't necessarily draft for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad