Tribute Cat. No Longer A Kitten. (Warning: "TL:DR" don't bother.)

WeAreSoPucked

Jan 15, 2021
NHL2021 is Alex DeBrincat's 4th campaign among his cohorts playing the greatest sport on this planet, (bias stipulated & unapologized for.)

Seasons past, I watched a talented rookie & then 2nd year pro, live up to a scorer's rep - Hell, exceeding it - but last year, struggle thru subpar statistics. Hey, stats happens.

All three years tho, in the shadow of acknowledged NHL elites among players & fans alike - at least 3 certain Hall Of Famers - and others verified immortal, their names etched more than once on Stanley's shiny - and revered - big silver mug.

So what next Alex DeBrincat?
High scoring but still, "complimentary" winger, of the first couple years, or struggling - now no longer, "prospect" - on a club past basking in recent seasons' glory?

A month into 2021, I think we Hawk fans have our answer.

This season, Alex DeBrincat is emerging as a man among men.
He's taking - not assuming - a leadership role on this Blackhawk club. Multiple reasons for could be cited: on this roster, he's actually one of the more, "with tenure"; but aside from it, too, Cat's performance is commanding a leadership role.

And that's the best way - leading by example - to do so.
Watching 2021 action, it's clearly noticeable how his game has improved - and matured - he's skating 200ft w/ purpose, battling on the boards & winning a surprising amount of pucks outta them.

(Or maybe it shouldn't be either - sure he's "under-sized" but diehard Hawk fans will remember Duncan Keith getting in a nasty scrap and seemingly left on his own - everyone following the league knows the Hawks not known for physical play - til the shortest guy on the ice came to his aid. I doubt Duncs forgets it & I don't either.)

#12 in the Indianhead sweater's always had a gunslinger's release - quick draw fast & sharpshooter accurate - we all knew that coming in, but seeing him round out his arsenal adding the, "inside hockey" "little things" well-versed puck junkies love is like ... well ...

Well ... like watching a lion cub or baby tiger change from, "adorable kitten" into dangerous grown up. I love it.

First couple seasons, after another slingshot off his tape punched the cage netting, many HFawkers would type, "Meow" in celebratory GDT delight. Guilty as charged.

And that's still cool of course but, here on out ...
I'm going with, "Hiss" as in that razor sharp snarl a jungle cat shows. Lovingly, of course. ;-)
GoHawks!

Last edited:

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
With you on this. Brinksy has looked fantastic on all the ice. He is tracking back and breaking up plays, he has some playmaking abilities too. He just looks so engaged.

Again. WTF were Edmonton thinking? Why did they pass on him?

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
With you on this. Brinksy has looked fantastic on all the ice. He is tracking back and breaking up plays, he has some playmaking abilities too. He just looks so engaged.

Almost every team passed on him (some more than once). Kind of crazy to think of him being Matthew's permanent winger in Toronto

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

same reason they went out and signed big mutants, they felt they drafted too much undersized finesse guys and needed more physicality and protection up and down the lineup. stupid move by them because it was instant chemistry to bring up to the NHL level

Reactions: sandyfalkirk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad