Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
My opinion is Hank was brought in almost to split with Samsonov, with the hotter hand starting in the playoffs. He also wanted a chance to contend for a cup so he signed to a cap friendly deal, so it worked for both parties with wanting a veteran guy. But this is probably fairly obvious. Copley is forgotten in all of this, I thought he was decent in 18-19 with a .905 SV%
Fucale is playing a lot better than Copley in Hershey, and Fucale was just added to the Caps goalie depth chart this off-season.

Reactions: max21

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Panik has lost my support and I liked the signing initially. His spot is easily replaceable with a younger, cheaper player. He has the tools, however he just don't convert enough. Let him rot in Hershey or to a non contender.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Panik won’t be sent to Hershey. He’ll be on the taxi squad to give them the flexibility of adding a forest like Pilon, Carr or Sgarbossa in a pinch.
And he's gonna be not playing but not scratched which keeps him healthy and available for a possible trade. I don't quite get why he didn't work out. Just a bad fit I guess, but I thought he'd be better.

As for the contract, pre-Covid, BMac had shown a real gift for unloading cap when needed. That he didn't plan for a pandemic and gave out slightly generous deals to get his man (no doubt with the confidence that he could move them later if he had to) is hardly a huge failure.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Laine won’t be in Columbus next year and likely neither will Torts. Trading Foligno for Vrana is exactly the kind of trade they could be making.

It gives us a player willing to get in traffic, but makes the team older, slower, and no break away threat outside of Kuzy and occasionally Wilson. Foligno's desire to win a cup and work ethic is very nice from my perspective. He can score garbage goals, hit, and play playoff hockey.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The thing about trading Vrana is... is that the ideal person to trade for is a Vrana... :laugh:

If I weren't laughing, I would be crying.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I had already put this up here in the past, time to revisit it is now. Nylander for Vrana. The details can be negotiated.

Actually, I do remember this proposal and I was on board lol. I think I did say I would do that in a heartbeat, just not sure what we would have to add and how to make the salary cap work.

I doubt they would retain if the reason why Toronto would move Nylander in the first place is to move cap space anyways.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Actually, I do remember this proposal and I was on board lol. I think I did say I would do that in a heartbeat, just not sure what we would have to add and how to make the salary cap work.
I have no problem adding either Alexeyev or Protas or Fehervary plus somebody from the roster just for the cap purposes. If they want a 1st rd pick instead of those guys...yeah I accept that too. Caps would probably get something like a 4th or 5th rd pick just to make it seem they got some plus to Nylander too as the GMs always do in this type of trades.
Why deal with the same shit for twice the cap hit?
I'm not sure you've seen Nylander play. He actually can carry the puck and drive the play instead of waiting to get feed by the teammates and cheating for breakaways .

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Panik has lost my support and I liked the signing initially. His spot is easily replaceable with a younger, cheaper player. He has the tools, however he just don't convert enough. Let him rot in Hershey or to a non contender.

They should shoehorn him into Panik-Dowd-Hathaway and see if that line can channel Stephenson-Beagle-DSP. They're all on the same page with playing a heavy game even if Panik's is more draping people than blowing them up

Ovechkin-Kuz-Oshie
Vrana-Backstrom-Wilson
Hagelin-Eller-Sheary/Sprong
Panik-Dowd-Hathaway

Probably the best they can go for right now

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I'm not sure you've seen Nylander play. He actually can carry the puck and drive the play instead of waiting to get feed by the teammates and cheating for breakaways .

I'm not sure you've seen more than his highlights. He does his fair share of carelessly turning pucks over and loafing on backchecks.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
NFoligno is a pending UFA. A rental. Trading Vrana is Erat territory. The Caps should be able to get Foligno for a non first round pick and a spare prospect
Yeah like I said, I think it would be a horrendous trade for Washington. I was commenting to the poster who said Columbus wouldn’t want to do that because Vrana is Laine-lite... I think that’s a very bad take.

Panik + B prospect/mid round pick sounds terrific to me.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm not sure you've seen more than his highlights. He does his fair share of carelessly turning pucks over and loafing on backchecks.
Nah I actually have watched him plenty. He has his bad habits but you don't judge a talent for mistakes. YOu look at his fundamentals and go from there. Nylander is a very good stickhandler. He can pass, can shoot, he is always looking to actually make plays instead of running around like a headless forechecker. He's got the toolbox to work with. He's far ahead of Vrana in basics that separate a very good player from just a good player.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Nah I actually have watched him plenty. He has his bad habits but you don't judge a talent for mistakes. YOu look at his fundamentals and go from there. Nylander is a very good stickhandler. He can pass, can shoot, he is always looking to actually make plays instead of running around like a headless forechecker. He's got the toolbox to work with. He's far ahead of Vrana in basics that separate a very good player from just a good player.

Vrana's fundamentals are exactly what this old and slow as balls team needs. Someone to attack with speed and capitalize on turnovers for easy goals other teams leave on a platter instead of plugging and plodding at maximum effort and getting winded 2 periods in. If we get Nylander to play at the same pace as the rest of our top 6 might as well call ourselves the Washington Jason Allisons

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Vrana's fundamentals are exactly what this old and slow as balls team needs. Someone to attack with speed and capitalize on turnovers for easy goals other teams leave on a platter instead of plugging and plodding at maximum effort and getting winded 2 periods in. If we get Nylander to play at the same pace as the rest of our top 6 might as well call ourselves the Washington Jason Allisons
Nylander's speed both on and off the puck has never been an issue. He actually is able to enter the zone with the puck and create a positional attack instead of running full throttle 1 at 5 opponents and giving the puck up barely crossing the blue line. Caps need guys who are strong on the puck in tight areas because they don't play up tempo style like Avs or Vegas, they like to hang onto the puck and pass it around until the real scoring chance opportunity shows itself. And Vrana is exactly the opposite of that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah like I said, I think it would be a horrendous trade for Washington. I was commenting to the poster who said Columbus wouldn’t want to do that because Vrana is Laine-lite... I think that’s a very bad take.

Panik + B prospect/mid round pick sounds terrific to me.

Panik is going to clear waivers. Why would someone take him in a trade and pay him what they would have had to if they had claimed him? My take is Panik is buried in the taxi squad for the rest of the regular. The Caps dont replace him on the active roster until they acquire someone new.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
NFoligno is a pending UFA. A rental. Trading Vrana is Erat territory. The Caps should be able to get Foligno for a non first round pick and a spare prospect
How we we got him in under the cap? Panik would have to go the other way, and Cbus would have to eat salary.

A first is the minimum it would cost?

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Panik is going to clear waivers. Why would someone take him in a trade and pay him what they would have had to if they had claimed him? My take is Panik is buried in the taxi squad for the rest of the regular. The Caps dont replace him on the active roster until they acquire someone new.
I think they probably want to see if he is claimed for free. Otherwise, we are going to have to add assets to move him. $2.75m for Panik just doesn’t work moving forward. We could bury him for the rest of this season and get some relief. We won’t have that option in 2021-2022z. This needs to be dealt with eventually.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Foligno is gonna get a 1st+ from Toronto or some similar contender, he's got the pedigree that gets highly overpaid for at the deadline.

I am with Friedman on this subject. 1st round picks are just too important in managing the flat salary cap for coming seasons for them to be traded for rentals.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
What are the rules on buying someone out?

The remaining salary is still on the books for 4 more years (remaining salary divided by 4 for yearly cap hit I think.)

Edit: here it is

Buyout FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Teams are permitted to buyout a players contract to obtain a reduced salary cap hit over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The buyout amount is a function of the players age at the time of the buyout, and are as follows:
  • 1/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is younger than 26 at the time of the buyout
  • 2/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is 26 or older at the time of the buyout
As explained above, the buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The team still takes a caphit, and the caphit by year is calculated as follows:
  1. Multiply the remaining salary (excluding signing bonuses) by the buyout amount (as determined by age) to obtain the total buyout cost
  2. Spread the total buyout cost evenly over twice the remaining contract years
  3. Determine the savings by subtracting the annual buyout cost from Step 2. by the players salary (excluding signing bonuses)
  4. Determine the remaining caphit by subtracting the savings from Step 3. by the players Annual Average Salary (AAV) (including signing bonuses)
The above calculation is performed for each year of the buyout, meaning the buyout caphit is not necessarily the same for each year. It is also possible that the buyout caphit can be negative, meaning the team receives a credit.

Buyout Period

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think they probably want to see if he is claimed for free. Otherwise, we are going to have to add assets to move him. $2.75m for Panik just doesn’t work moving forward. We could bury him for the rest of this season and get some relief. We won’t have that option in 2021-2022z. This needs to be dealt with eventually.

I see trading Panik, it just makes no sense for CBus to take him now. If they are willing to take his contract, they can have him now for nothing. In the off season there will be market for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad