Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kind of surprised that the Blues and Pietrangelo couldn't work something out.

Anyways I doubt they do it but as I mentioned before I'm all for signing Pietrangelo and trading Carlson for a massive haul. They already owe Carlson $8 million for 6 more years and he is the same age as Pietrangelo. Signing Pietrangelo for 7 years and like $10 million is an instant upgrade on the blue line, especially defensively, and the difference in cap hits should be able to be worked out.

Jun 15, 2007
Kind of surprised that the Blues and Pietrangelo couldn't work something out.

Anyways I doubt they do it but as I mentioned before I'm all for signing Pietrangelo and trading Carlson for a massive haul. They already owe Carlson $8 million for 6 more years and he is the same age as Pietrangelo. Signing Pietrangelo for 7 years and like $10 million is an instant upgrade on the blue line, especially defensively, and the difference in cap hits should be able to be worked out.

Oh boy prepare for the knives.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
So with 18 players signed now after Sprong's signing (and assuming Fehervary is graduated), our opening day lineup tenatively looks like this so far pending any change:

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Vrana - Backstrom - Oshie
Hagelin - Eller - Panik
Hathaway - Dowd - Sprong
?

Kempny - Carlson
Orlov - Jensen
Fehervary - ?
?

Samsonov
?

Edit: Current projected cap space = $8.108 million (with Fehervary's $792,000 deducted)

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The opportunity with Pietrangelo hitting UFA is not so much signing him but making a deal with Toronto to take a good player on a big contract for cheap.

Would you do Nylander for Vrana?

I admit I am intrigued by this. Nylander is locked up for another 4 more years at a $6.9 million cap hit (only $0.2 million more than Vrana's), and Toronto might be interested with all their cap problems with Vrana only having a year left on his contract.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Where are there rumors of moving Orlov? As for Pietro. He gets 40% of his points on the pp. Take pptoi away from Carlson after he wins the Norris to make room for a guy he outscored 213 to 147 over the last 3 seasons isnt going to make for a happy member of your core. Given Carlson being there, I am not sure why Pietrangelo signs up to ride 2nd fiddle. Wouldnt he rather go to a team where he was the man?

We've heard rumors talk since the bubble dropped that the Capitals are looking for a "hockey trade" of one of their bigger named players, something to shake up the team. When probed on who that might be, they always say not Ovi, Backstrom, Kuzya, Carlson, and Vrana. I think it might have been Friedman, and I think there were a few more, but the only names that hadn't been mentioned as safe were Oshie and Orlov. I can't imagine them trading Oshie, can you? So that leads just Orlov. I don't agree with it, but it was the simple math of the rumors.

beyond that, is everything about PP time? Like...that team hasn't really had anyway near comparable point producers as the Capitals had, though percentage-wise the power play might be better. I think it's still comparing apples to oranges between the two power plays. You also completely gloss over Piets being a superior defensive player to Carlson. I'd take a slightly less efficient power play (one that doesn't really necessitate the point produce like Carlson) for a better 5v5 performance.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I admit I am intrigued by this. Nylander is locked up for another 4 more years at a $6.9 million cap hit (only $0.2 million more than Vrana's), and Toronto might be interested with all their cap problems with Vrana only having a year left on his contract.
Vrana's cap hit is only $3.35 million currently. The $6.7 million is his salary for the duration of his two year contract that expires next offseason. No idea what Vrana's next contract looks like but it probably is in the ball park of Nylander's cap hit. I'd hope it would be more around $6 million than it would $7 million

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Vrana's cap hit is only $3.35 million currently. The $6.7 million is his salary for the duration of his two year contract that expires next offseason. No idea what Vrana's next contract looks like but it probably is in the ball park of Nylander's cap hit. I'd hope it would be more around $6 million than it would $7 million

Ah good catch. My fault, I totally looked at capfriendly wrong there haha.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm convinced you'd argue against having Niedermayer and Pronger, or Rafalski and Lidstrom on the same team because of PP1 ice time distribution.

See, I am not arguing against havine Carlson and Pietrangelo on the same team. Its not up to me. I am saying that Pietrangelo is unlikely to be interested in the job offer. Now, you are free to argue that AP would sign up pp2 duty on a team where pp2 does little but my experience is that most players given the choice want the biggest role he or she can get.

Should he sign with Washington, in the last minute of a game where the Caps need a goal, Pietrangelo will be on the bench.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We've heard rumors talk since the bubble dropped that the Capitals are looking for a "hockey trade" of one of their bigger named players, something to shake up the team. When probed on who that might be, they always say not Ovi, Backstrom, Kuzya, Carlson, and Vrana. I think it might have been Friedman, and I think there were a few more, but the only names that hadn't been mentioned as safe were Oshie and Orlov. I can't imagine them trading Oshie, can you? So that leads just Orlov. I don't agree with it, but it was the simple math of the rumors.

beyond that, is everything about PP time? Like...that team hasn't really had anyway near comparable point producers as the Capitals had, though percentage-wise the power play might be better. I think it's still comparing apples to oranges between the two power plays. You also completely gloss over Piets being a superior defensive player to Carlson. I'd take a slightly less efficient power play (one that doesn't really necessitate the point produce like Carlson) for a better 5v5 performance.

Ok...I had not heard the Orlov talk in the media. Just the argument for months about trading Orlov.

Pietrangelo: Please go back and read what I wrote about him. I NEVER said that I didnt want him. I said that as a lead pp guy in St Louis that HE wouldnt choose a team where he was not. Feel free to argue with that, if you want. I am not against him being on the team

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So with 18 players signed now after Sprong's signing (and assuming Fehervary is graduated), our opening day lineup tenatively looks like this so far pending any change:

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Vrana - Backstrom - Oshie
Hagelin - Eller - Panik
Hathaway - Dowd - Sprong
?

Kempny - Carlson
Orlov - Jensen
Fehervary - ?
?

Samsonov
?

Edit: Current projected cap space = $8.108 million (with Fehervary's $792,000 deducted)

I know Panik wouldnt want to hear this but isnt Sprong more of a Connelly type player and less of a Dowd/Hathaway type player where Panik fit well with the 2 4th liners? My initial read is that the Sprong contract protects him against getting picked off waivers and that he is penciled in for Hershey. My other guess is that Panik would ask for a trade if he felt like he was going to be asked to play on the 4th line again.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I know Panik wouldnt want to hear this but isnt Sprong more of a Connelly type player and less of a Dowd/Hathaway type player where Panik fit well with the 2 4th liners? My initial read is that the Sprong contract protects him against getting picked off waivers and that he is penciled in for Hershey. My other guess is that Panik would ask for a trade if he felt like he was going to be asked to play on the 4th line again.

I also think Sprong is better suited to be the 3rd line RW, and this is just for penciling a sketch for opening day. But I like the idea of "the spot is yours... after you earn it".. especially for young players. Maybe I'm a little old school in that.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

Honestly if that's all he's asking for sign him! Do the Twabby Gambit™

I cant believe the Blues did their captain wrong like that. Not only offer Pietrangelo an AAV of $7.7 mil, but to also absolutely refuse to specify the structure of the deal to him and his party and say take it as it is or have fun in free agency. That's unheard of in any type of contract, not just an NHL one. Wouldnt you want to know exactly what the contract entails as the signee?

Something had to have happened behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I cant believe the Blues did their captain wrong like that. Not only offer Pietrangelo an AAV of $7.7 mil, but to also absolutely refuse to specify the structure of the deal to him and his party and take it as it is or have fun in free agency. That's unheard of in any type of contract, not just an NHL one. Wouldnt you want to know exactly what the contract entails as the signee?

Something had to have happened behind the scenes.

Just reading between the lines, I would suggest that St Louis is one of the teams seriously damaged by the COVID situation. St Louis is not a big market. There is still too much about next season that is either unsettled or in jeopardy. Rumors and reports out of Canada are saying some teams are going to be sold. I would not be surprised to find that St Louis is one of those teams.

Hey, I could be all wrong with that but thats what I have been thinking.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
But Sprong's new contract is one-way. Doesn't that make him more of a waiver risk if he's sent to Hershey? It sounds to me like the organization expects him to be with the big club next year.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Just reading between the lines, I would suggest that St Louis is one of the teams seriously damaged by the COVID situation. St Louis is not a big market. There is still too much about next season that is either unsettled or in jeopardy. Rumors and reports out of Canada are saying some teams are going to be sold. I would not be surprised to find that St Louis is one of those teams.

Hey, I could be all wrong with that but thats what I have been thinking.

I understand that St. Louis might be financially limiting themselves this year, and I'm not suggesting that the Blues keep Pietrangelo at whatever the cost. But I think you gotta be a little more upfront about everything to him after all that he's given you. Just be honest with him. About everything. It seems like they are parting on bad terms.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
See, I am not arguing against havine Carlson and Pietrangelo on the same team. Its not up to me. I am saying that Pietrangelo is unlikely to be interested in the job offer. Now, you are free to argue that AP would sign up pp2 duty on a team where pp2 does little but my experience is that most players given the choice want the biggest role he or she can get.

Should he sign with Washington, in the last minute of a game where the Caps need a goal, Pietrangelo will be on the bench.
Lol why would he be on the bench? You would think both him and Carlson would be out in crunch time.

Reactions: koalabear9301

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But Sprong's new contract is one-way. Doesn't that make him more of a waiver risk if he's sent to Hershey? It sounds to me like the organization expects him to be with the big club next year.

The Caps have done this in the past. They sign a veteran AHL player to a 2 year 1 way contract. When they put him on waivers any team that takes him is on the hook for 2 years at an NHL salary. Thats enough to keep the tire kickers away. So, the 1 way part of that contract is part of the defense against him getting picked off waivers. Understand what I am saying?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lol why would he be on the bench? You would think both him and Carlson would be out in crunch time.

In the last minute of a game where they need a goal, Carlson is the only defenseman out there. Ovechkin takes the other Dman spot as on a pp.

With the goalie pulled which of Ov, Backstrom, Kuzy, Oshie and Wilson do you take off ?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
In the last minute of a game where they need a goal, Carlson is the only defenseman out there. Ovechkin takes the other Dman spot as on a pp.
I’m not coach but idk I would take 5 forwards over AP in a goalie pulled need a goal lineup

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The Caps have done this in the past. They sign a veteran AHL player to a 2 year 1 way contract. When they put him on waivers any team that takes him is on the hook for 2 years at an NHL salary. Thats enough to keep the tire kickers away. So, the 1 way part of that contract is part of the defense against him getting picked off waivers. Understand what I am saying?

But $725,000 isn't much of an NHL salary to scare teams away. I think with the times we are in right now, teams are drooling at that salary.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m not coach but idk I would take 5 forwards over AP in a goalie pulled need a goal lineup

AP is a defenseman. A long range shooter. The Caps use Ovechkin and Carlson in that role. You dont use more than 2 long range shooters anyhow. Would you move Ovechkin close to the net when he is your best shot to beat a goalie clean from 40ft+ out and you have Wilson and Oshie to battle for rebounds and deflections in close? Would you rather have AP shoot it from Ov's office than Ov?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But $725,000 isn't much of an NHL salary to scare teams away. I think with the times we are in right now, teams are drooling at that salary.

Then teams would routinely pay their AHL players NHL salaries. They Caps have also done this with guys they expected to be spare players. Nate Schmidt and Taylor Chorney. I expect the Caps will carry a spare player as infrequently as possible and keeping those guys in Hershey.

But maybe I am over thinking it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad