News: Canucks looking to move up

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
So basically business as usual by a hockey team. i'll put out a tweet to make it sound like this is not common everyday pre draft thinking for teams.

Reactions: HairyKneel

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
They have a team designed to win now with almost nothing in the prospect pool so it doesn’t make much sense for them to move up.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
After 8th, you can make a case for Reinbacher, Simashev, or Willander to be picked.

Simashev and Willander would be massive reaches in the top 10 imo

Maybe he's fixated on Reinbacher or his countryman ASP. I dunno I don't really see any defenseman in this draft that are super likely to be top pairing.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
You know Allvin and Rutherford aren't there on the ice right?
I know that two years in a row, we got a bump due to a new coach, and that those two were supportive of playing the crap out of the better players. They played Demko a lot for garbage time after he came back from an injury.

Reactions: bcbill

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Pass. Lekkerimaki had a very underwhelming d+1 season. Definitely not enough to drop from 5 to 11
First half he was poor, mostly due to health. he had a great playoffs when healthy

Last edited:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
First half, he had a great playoffs when healthy
Meh. Rather keep the 5th. There is a drop off in talent after 5/6. Dropping to 11 to potentially end up with a couple ok players isn’t appealing. Montreal has a deep prospect pool. They need stars. Not more depth players

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sinking Podkolzin to move up 1 or 2 spots in the draft seems like a horrendous use of assets.

New GM's view old GM's picks with potential different eye

Look at Davidson last draft moving Dach to Habs

Also, Podkolzin development hasn't been all that great in Vancouver at this point so there has to be some concern at this point.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think 11th + Silovs is what they're looking to move. Maybe a team like the Habs or Coyotes bite on a young top goaltender prospect.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
I think 11th + Silovs is what they're looking to move. Maybe a team like the Habs or Coyotes bite on a young top goaltender prospect.
The Habs would have to REALLY like Silovs to drop from the top 5. And I don't think he's quite at that level, necessarily.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Trading up to draft a defenseman in the most forward heavy draft in the last 20 years would be wild.

Make it so Patrik
It would be almost as bad as being a Flames fan.

Conroy will sort it all out. He’ll just talk everyone’s ear off.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I know that two years in a row, we got a bump due to a new coach, and that those two were supportive of playing the crap out of the better players. They played Demko a lot for garbage time after he came back from an injury.
You realize the teams top players actually have a stake in how much they play and produce right? Do you think Petey wanted to end up with 92 points? JT wanted to get 70 points after signing the big deal? Or Demko didn’t want to redeem himself and square up his record and his save pctg? Maybe Hughes wanted to flirt with 80 points or maybe the new coach wanted to establish a good rapport with the teams core?

Or they could appease “oceanchild” a dude that posts on a forum.

It was probably a tough choice for them.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I honestly don't understand what Vancouver is trying to do, they simultaneously seem to be both trying to improve the roster while also trying to rebuild. There's no direction here, you see them trade off Horvat for futures just to trade significant futures for Hronek.
They have all the core pieces most teams look to tank for. They have their studs at C/D/G. They're all in or hitting their prime. I don't see the issue with trying to improve the roster while also trying to add a decent young prospect at the same time. The defense core is really the biggest issue imo. Not sure how they solidify it, but if they could I don't think they're as terrible as people make them sound.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
why did they bother winning meaniningless games in march where they could have been in the top 5 with anahiem/montreal but noo. they started winning games and therefore they are where they are... picking 11th now they want to move up.. this organization is really something. no sense of direction are your rebuilding or retooling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad