Proposal: Byfield Offer Sheet? 7 Years $8M

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Purely wanting to understand the math around this scenario.

If the Sabres were to offer Byfield 7 years at $8M a year and he accepts, how would the Kings be able to match?

Looking at their cap situation, they have roughly $23M available, but need to sign 2 goalies, several RFAs (in addition to Byfield), and have locked down deals for PLD, Doughty, Kempe, Kopitar, etc. They could I guess move Trevor Moore, but even then it's only $4M.

Could the Kinds match that type of deal? It's a pay for potential deal, but Byfield looks to be on the cusp of really developing into a stud top line forward. At 21, I think he would prefer locking down that type of deal over a bridge 2-3 year to let the Kings try to be competitive.

Thoughts?

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
The rule of RFA offersheets, unless a team is super cap strapped, you're not getting a RFA on a deal that you would prefer for your own team.
That's my point. I dont know how the Kings really lock him down without moving contracts that would be hard to move. An AAV at 8.8 costs a team a 1,2,3 to go back to LA. If he signs 7 at 8.8, that makes the Kings position very difficult (from what I can see)

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
They say thank you for getting him to sign such a team friendly contract. You'd need to be north of 9M to have a shot.
Hughes got 8x8 and had a better year than Byfield. I think 8 (or 8.8 which is the highest for that bracket of Offer sheet return) is quite a gamble for the kings to try to make their team work. They just dont have the cap situation to simply match without moving pieces

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hughes got 8x8 and had a better year than Byfield. I think 8 (or 8.8 which is the highest for that bracket of Offer sheet return) is quite a gamble for the kings to try to make their team work. They just dont have the cap situation to simply match without moving pieces
Byfield is a key piece for the kings. Hughes signed a couple of years ago during a cap stagnant period and wasn't as good as he is now.

Byfield is likely getting paid. He looks like the future of that team.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That's my point. I dont know how the Kings really lock him down without moving contracts that would be hard to move. An AAV at 8.8 costs a team a 1,2,3 to go back to LA. If he signs 7 at 8.8, that makes the Kings position very difficult (from what I can see)
23 million avaliable means they can match the offersheet and have all offseason to sort out the rest.

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc

If the Sabres were to offer Byfield 7 years at $8M a year and he accepts, how would the Kings be able to match?

Looking at their cap situation, they have roughly $23M available, but need to sign 2 goalies, several RFAs (in addition to Byfield), and have locked down deals for PLD, Doughty, Kempe, Kopitar, etc. They could I guess move Trevor Moore, but even then it's only $4M.

Could the Kinds match that type of deal? It's a pay for potential deal, but Byfield looks to be on the cusp of really developing into a stud top line forward. At 21, I think he would prefer locking down that type of deal over a bridge 2-3 year to let the Kings try to be competitive.

Thoughts?
7 years offersheet don't make any senses as the AAV for the compensation will be reduced to a 5 years average. 7x8 you'd be paying the premium of 4x1st. If the team is willing to sacrifice that much, you might as well offer more over 5 years, if not its getting matched.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hughes got 8x8 and had a better year than Byfield.
Byfield is coming off a better year than Hughes had when he signed his contract (he signed in November 2021, coming off a season where he had 31 points in 56 games.)
I think 8 (or 8.8 which is the highest for that bracket of Offer sheet return) is quite a gamble for the kings to try to make their team work. They just dont have the cap situation to simply match without moving pieces
Byfield produced like a top line player at 5v5, and brings a lot to a line besides scoring. He's taken some huge steps, an $8M AAV offer sheet would get matched immediately.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Don’t even think Byfield would accept that.

His game is evolving so fast that 8 million might be an underpay as soon as next season. He’s aware of that. I think he takes a bridge, develops into the beast that he shows glimpses of and cashes in big after.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
A much better offer sheet to make it hard to match would be 2 years at 8.5M, short so the Kings aren't getting any long term value out of matching but low enough that it only costs a first, second, and third. Sadly qualifying offers no longer care what the final year is only AAV otherwise you could back load it to make it even harder on them.

That being said, should someone offer sheet Byfield, yes. Will someone offer sheet Byfield, no.

Reactions: kevistar

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
Don’t even think Byfield would accept that.

His game is evolving so fast that 8 million might be an underpay as soon as next season. He’s aware of that. I think he takes a bridge, develops into the beast that he shows glimpses of and cashes in big after.
Not a chance, he'll take the 8 mil so fast your head would spin

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's a different environment. Cap is expected to go up in leaps over the next several years. 8 now is like 5.5 when Jack signed.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Screenshot_20240510-114517.png

It was pointed out but often gets overlooked: an offer sheet over five years causes the AAV to be calculated differently. So the compensation for your hypothetical offer sheet would be four first rounders.

I know that people will be quick to blame the old boys club but it's hard to line up something that makes sense for the player and the club.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
LA matches and figures the rest out. I don't expect Roy (should have been dealt at the deadline and that is not revisionist history many were thinking it was the prudent thing to do), or arvidsson back. Their spots will be filled with Clarke and Turcotte/Thomas.

LA has some wiggle room, the PLD contract hurts though

Reactions: Guitpik

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
8x7 is 11.2m comp level (4 1st over 5 years).

I think Byfield is going to be very good as he looks to have found his game this year, but I'd have to take the 4 1sts here.
Same here, the Kings cruising right towards rebuild from next year on but without getting draft picks for our veterans since they leave for free, thx to our glorious management.

Painful times ahead for a very long time

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Same here, the Kings cruising right towards rebuild from next year on but without getting draft picks for our veterans since they leave for free, thx to our glorious management.

If LA rebuilds it will be around Byfield, Clarke, Spence and Portillo.

Wait...maybe they just need to stop dealing prospects and play them?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It is a gamble but if forced they will do all in their power to make space for By-guy.
And if I am not mistaken, can offer the extra yr?

But yeah, will be painful.

If you would take 4 1sts for Byfield, I am sure Rs can sweeten the pot.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Thoughts?
Rs would offer the max, figuring they def can move
Trouba
Lindgren
Goodrow
and recover most of that
which does not even consider Shesty

Buf is emerging and does not deserve to be maligned
but
Rs have larger, currently more productive core
so likely closer to cup next yr

and can offer opportunity to pivot w/solid F youth [Kakko/Othmann/Gabe P]
also
intriguing thought, him as a C betw Kreider + Zib

so yeah, every club would be in on it, but Rs would be among most enticing for him

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I mean, isn't Byfield going to be making more than 8mil AAV anyway?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A much better offer sheet to make it hard to match would be 2 years at 8.5M, short so the Kings aren't getting any long term value out of matching but low enough that it only costs a first, second, and third. Sadly qualifying offers no longer care what the final year is only AAV otherwise you could back load it to make it even harder on them.

That being said, should someone offer sheet Byfield, yes. Will someone offer sheet Byfield, no.
No, it wouldn't be harder to match. Knowing your getting 4 first round picks is a lot harder to match. Going by last year, 8.8 would = 2 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Going 2 years is pretty easy to match.

Reactions: Guitpik

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
7 years x $8 is too team-friendly and may be a bargain in a few years. $8.5 is the max for 1 first, 1 second, 1 third round pick.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
7 years x $8 is too team-friendly and may be a bargain in a few years. $8.5 is the max for 1 first, 1 second, 1 third round pick.
Not over 7 it isn't. If term is longer than 5 years, the total is divided by 5. That's 4 first round picks either way.

Reactions: Ford Prefect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad