Brandon Wheatkings 23/24

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
WK trade for Jayden Wiens a 20 yr old from the Saskatoon Blades Good pick up improvement over Pasternak as he plays with a lot of sandpaper. Likely means Pasternak is gone unless Hyland wins an AHL job in the Washington Capitals system.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
WK trade for Jayden Wiens a 20 yr old from the Saskatoon Blades Good pick up improvement over Pasternak as he plays with a lot of sandpaper. Likely means Pasternak is gone unless Hyland wins an AHL job in the Washington Capitals system.
you can carry 3 over-age players. Hyland and Pasternak are the only ones on the roster so far no?

Black Gold

Sep 22, 2023
you can carry 3 over-age players. Hyland and Pasternak are the only ones on the roster so far no?
Sadhra-Kang is also overage.

Joe, have you heard what is going on with Thornton? Crickets from the Wheat Kings other than simply not listing him on their roster. Perry Bergson doesn't respond to people when they ask him on Twitter and he simply ignored mentioning him in his article today. Didn't include him in his roster analysis, but also didn't include him in the losses section.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
If no one objects I was going to make this a Wheat King thread. Seems like we got a few WheatKing fans from other boards on here now
I object. Just curious if that would change your mind.... joking. I personally would like to see you expand on the staged fighting you mentioned in earlier post and what that whole experience was like.
You are a true insider on that topic. THAT would be an interesting thread. Timely considering the Q is now the test case on this matter with their "ban" on fighting this season. Tides are turning in all sorts of ways.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Joe, have you heard what is going on with Thornton? Crickets from the Wheat Kings other than simply not listing him on their roster. Perry Bergson doesn't respond to people when they ask him on Twitter and he simply ignored mentioning him in his article today. Didn't include him in his roster analysis, but also didn't include him in the losses section.

He is still listed maybe they are trying to move him. Should find out tonight I guess for the Pats game

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I object. Just curious if that would change your mind.... joking. I personally would like to see you expand on the staged fighting you mentioned in earlier post and what that whole experience was like.
You are a true insider on that topic. THAT would be an interesting thread. Timely considering the Q is now the test case on this matter with their "ban" on fighting this season. Tides are turning in all sorts of ways.

When you are 16 and you get told the only way to stick around is too fight you do it because you don't want to get cut. When you get good at it then the next expectation is that you will be fighting this guy tonight and this guy the next night. It became all consuming for me and eventually if I didn't hurt my knee and have to leave hockey, I am not sure how I would have continued with it.

I think fighting spontaneously is ok. But to expect to have to fight isn't.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Went to game vs the Pats tonight and was very disappointed in the team‘ s goaltending and defensive play. Lost 7-6 in OT after having a 3-0 lead. Our veteran defence was horrible and Jones in net was just about as bad. Hoping this game is a one off as (I know it’s early and we were missing 4 players) if they play this way it’s going to be a long season. Really not sold on some of the older forwards that did show much tonight. Will cut them some slack as it’s early.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020

Thanks, completely blanked on Sadhra-Kang being the 3rd OA... Not a big fan of his game, I find he often tries to do too much, much of which is outside of his abilities. Keeping things simple and using his size more to his advantage would go a long way.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out, Pasternak had developed some decent chemistry in his time here. Both he and Weins are tiny... Might get a bit more grit with Weins but when you're 5'9 160, that only goes so far too - Size isn't' everything but the team is already quite small as constructed, believe 8 out of their 12 forwards dressed were under 6' last night. Can't help but wonder who else is aging out that may have been or will be made available.

Seems like a glut of FWDs that will be battling for roster spots yet. Klippenstein continues to impress, be nice to see some of the kids slotted into positions to succeed.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Looks like Hadland is poised to have a big year. He has been very good this year so far. Klippenstein is a keeper also. Plays with skill and grit. Ditto for Wiens. Sadra-Kang needs to simplify his game and so does Elick. Trying to do too much. McQueen very big and skilled but still too easy to knock off the puck. That will improve as he gets stronger. He doesn’t turn 17 until October. WK are a very good skating team but may lack some grit.
Final score in MJ was 9-4 WK. Gave up 2 sloppy long shot deflection goals in the last couple of minutes. Hadland had a goal and 3 assists. Excellent offence so far this year.certainly surprised me. Wonder if it’s sustainable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Molsonsman

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Finally got a chance to watch the games the last 2 nights. That first game I think the D would like to play over because they gave that game away with some real bad plays that shouldn't happen at this level.

The good though the offense was really good and we generated a lot of quality chances and did score 6 and I think we should have scored a few more. I like the fact we scored without Danielson and Hyland there.

The 2nd game was better overall and the score actually flattered MJ. They were missing there big 3 but we looked way better then they did without our guys. Eskit was ok but he let in 2 softies I thought. The defense was better this game but we kind of drifted off in the 3rd.

McQueen will have a huge year. Too skilled and big and I expect multiple point games going forward. Hadland looks legit as well very skilled at this level. Really liked the Wiens/Flamand/Hadland line. Petr is going to be a horse in the WHL.

The D is just ok right now. I think Elick is going to improve a lot as the season goes a long. Big draft year for him. If they need to make a move its on the backend though

Can't wait for Bjarnson to come back. We should be 2-0 with him in next.

I expect the lines will be something like

Baumiller/Danielson/Hyland
McQueen/Petr/Roersma
Hadland/Flamand/Wiens
Groening/Wilson/Klippenstien
Odut/Wheddon

Right now its looking really good up front. Should look to a good skilled D man to push Turner out of the lineup.

But I am pretty optimistic right now about this group because scoring last year was an issue and so far it isn't. Marty Murray has them playing some good up tempo hockey and its fun to watch

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Great to get Hyland back. Now the team will need to decide on their 3 OA players. Looks like Pasternak is the odd man out. Wiens bring more to the table than Pasternak. Wonder if we can trade Jones and Turner for a stud d man. Yes the scoring does look better this year.

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
Went to game vs the Pats tonight and was very disappointed in the team‘ s goaltending and defensive play. Lost 7-6 in OT after having a 3-0 lead. Our veteran defence was horrible and Jones in net was just about as bad. Hoping this game is a one off as (I know it’s early and we were missing 4 players) if they play this way it’s going to be a long season. Really not sold on some of the older forwards that did show much tonight. Will cut them some slack as it’s early.
Defensively it was a bad game. Elick was the worst I've seen. I wonder if he is putting too much on himself. Mind you it was only the first game. lol. So expectations need to settle. (yes I'm talking to myself).
Roersma has started off as well as it did last year. I just hope he is able to continue on with this throughout the regular season. He has always shown the speed isn't an issue. Needs to bury that puck more often.
To be honest they have produced more goals then i thought they could without key players at NHL camps. This is promising.

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
Great to get Hyland back. Now the team will need to decide on their 3 OA players. Looks like Pasternak is the odd man out. Wiens bring more to the table than Pasternak. Wonder if we can trade Jones and Turner for a stud d man. Yes the scoring does look better this year.
I thought Pasternak played huge for us since he got traded here. I personally feel he is better then Wiens. Mind you that's only two games I've been able to see or notice Wiens game. Pushing and shoving after the whistle is blown doesn't make a person gritty IMO. It may draw the odd penalty but otherwise I prefer Pasternak as he will produce more points.

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
Finally got a chance to watch the games the last 2 nights. That first game I think the D would like to play over because they gave that game away with some real bad plays that shouldn't happen at this level.

The good though the offense was really good and we generated a lot of quality chances and did score 6 and I think we should have scored a few more. I like the fact we scored without Danielson and Hyland there.

The 2nd game was better overall and the score actually flattered MJ. They were missing there big 3 but we looked way better then they did without our guys. Eskit was ok but he let in 2 softies I thought. The defense was better this game but we kind of drifted off in the 3rd.

McQueen will have a huge year. Too skilled and big and I expect multiple point games going forward. Hadland looks legit as well very skilled at this level. Really liked the Wiens/Flamand/Hadland line. Petr is going to be a horse in the WHL.

The D is just ok right now. I think Elick is going to improve a lot as the season goes a long. Big draft year for him. If they need to make a move its on the backend though

Can't wait for Bjarnson to come back. We should be 2-0 with him in next.

I expect the lines will be something like

Baumiller/Danielson/Hyland
McQueen/Petr/Roersma
Hadland/Flamand/Wiens
Groening/Wilson/Klippenstien
Odut/Wheddon

Right now its looking really good up front. Should look to a good skilled D man to push Turner out of the lineup.

But I am pretty optimistic right now about this group because scoring last year was an issue and so far it isn't. Marty Murray has them playing some good up tempo hockey and its fun to watch
Bang on with this assessment. Baumuller, seems to be behind for now. Is he nursing an injury? I see he only played the first Preseason game.
Mantei will help our D core out when he returns. I do hope they look into upping their back end for sure.
Looking forward to tomorrows game. A good test against PA.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Zach Turner traded to SC for a late draft choice. Leaves 6 d men so have to figure that the team is poised to make a bigger splash on defence. Can’t continue with 6 dmen.
very close game tonight against PA. They are a scrappy team who play hard. Will win their share of games. MJ on Friday and Firkus is now back and Yeager is coming may be back for Friday. Danielson would be the big equalizer when he returns.

Last edited:

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
Zach Turner traded to SC for a late draft choice. Leaves 6 d men so have to figure that the team is poised to make a bigger splash on defence. Can’t continue with 6 dmen.
very close game tonight against PA. They are a scrappy team who play hard. Will win their share of games. MJ on Friday and Firkus is now back and Yeager is coming may be back for Friday. Danielson would be the big equalizer when he returns.
The question is what deal could be in the works? Be nice if they grab a good 18 year old. We have three 19 yr olds, of which two will have to go next season. I don't forsee Fouquette as an OA. Nor do i see Maliavin taking up two spots (OA/Import). Neither he or Shipley are great OA defense.

Molsonsman

Dec 27, 2017
I'm glad McQueen is having the season we were hoping to see last year. Definitely has the confidence and skills to support a high pick. However, I was a bit nervous when he was involved (x2) in after play scrimmage with Goldsmith. Shows he is not going to take crap from anybody. Confidence!

Klippenstein is exceeding what i thought he was capable of. Considering I never seen him play before and a 3rd round pick. He has some grit to his game and I can see next year excelling for sure.

I thought we were in for a long game after the first 5 minutes. PA looked strong and relentless. But our guys settled in and picked it up a notch. Speed sure helps against a bigger team like that.

Eskit, had a great game. One I think he would like back otherwise he was the reason we won last night.

Overall good game. Defense was much better then the two previous outtings.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Bjarnson on his way back so Jones reassigned. Surprised he could not have been traded somewhere. Goaltending now set for a couple of years for sure with an 18 and 17 tandem. Need Danielson back to complete our bingo card. Team does look promising this year barring major injuries.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Looks to me like we need help on defence. We have a 20 yr old,3 19 yr olds so should be better at defending.Playing quite well up front but allowing too many goals with poor defensive play. Will need another d man anyways as precarious going forward with just 6.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Tonight’s game against SC was a hard fought victory. SC has a very good team, impressed with Hyland and Elick tonight. Elick played very physical and if he plays that way he will become a high draft choice. Hyland played very well. Weins was strong also. Still a little concerned about our d zone coverage. Forgot about Klippenstein—- this guy’s a keeper. Big, skilled and plays with grit.

Last edited:

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Looks to me like we need help on defence. We have a 20 yr old,3 19 yr olds so should be better at defending.Playing quite well up front but allowing too many goals with poor defensive play. Will need another d man anyways as precarious going forward with just 6.
Not sure if I'm crazy or what but having Sadhra-Kang occupy a 20 yr slot seems silly. The more I watch him the less I like him.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
It’s not just Sadhra-kang. Not really sold on the 3 19 yr. old defencemen either. Definitely the weak spot on the team. Not sure what moves if any Marty has. Two more home games than the US road trip. Tough to make moves while on the trip.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
It’s not just Sadhra-kang. Not really sold on the 3 19 yr. old defencemen either. Definitely the weak spot on the team. Not sure what moves if any Marty has. Two more home games than the US road trip. Tough to make moves while on the trip.
Sure, point remains its a waste of a spot IMO. You'd think there would be better options avail but could be a weak year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Wheaties added Matt Henry back to the team. Likely want some toughness for this group especially the younger forwards they have especially on this road trip. The players seem to love him

Something has to give I would think. They are only carrying 6 D. 18 forwards listed although they will send Jacobsen down if they haven't already. Still have Thornton listed on the roster and I have no idea what is going on with him.

My guess is they maybe they wait until after the road trip. We "should" win both the home games before we go. Maybe they look at the team after the trip to bring a D in. Teams should also know by then if they are contenders or pretenders

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Wheaties added Matt Henry back to the team. Likely want some toughness for this group especially the younger forwards they have especially on this road trip. The players seem to love him

Something has to give I would think. They are only carrying 6 D. 18 forwards listed although they will send Jacobsen down if they haven't already. Still have Thornton listed on the roster and I have no idea what is going on with him.

My guess is they maybe they wait until after the road trip. We "should" win both the home games before we go. Maybe they look at the team after the trip to bring a D in. Teams should also know by then if they are contenders or pretenders
Does this move the needle? From the few games I watch he not exactly effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad