Player Discussion: Brandon Hagel

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
My honorary post game word...

He has some incredibly poor offensive instincts for a 20 goal guy. Admittedly, I didn't watch much of him so at this point I just assume Kane was zipping pucks off his stick because the guy shows zero drive to the net and kills plays. Does the curl in the corner and gets knocked off the puck.

Theres definitely potential and he's "quality" but man, we got rinsed in the trade. I don't think Katchouk and Raddysh were special but those two firsts.... yikes.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
My honorary post game word...

He has some incredibly poor offensive instincts for a 20 goal guy. Admittedly, I didn't watch much of him so at this point I just assume Kane was zipping pucks off his stick because the guy shows zero drive to the net and kills plays. Does the curl in the corner and gets knocked off the puck.

Theres definitely potential and he's "quality" but man, we got rinsed in the trade. I don't think Katchouk and Raddysh were special but those two firsts.... yikes.

I didn't expect him to be so god dam weak, "the shift" from Boris Katchouk showed more stength than anything Hagel did.

Might have gave up too soon on Raddysh - he was showing flashes, not to mention 6'3 198lbs to Hagel's 5'11 178lbs, we have way too many guys in Hagel's size range.

I like that JBB made a move but damn what a flop.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
So is it relatively safe to say that this trade was not a good trade for this year, this run — because clearly he didn’t add much to our potency and championship caliber goal-scoring — but it may be a good move as early as next year when he could get top-6 minutes and show his offensive talents?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
So is it relatively safe to say that this trade was not a good trade for this year, this run — because clearly he didn’t add much to our potency and championship caliber goal-scoring — but it may be a good move as early as next year when he could get top-6 minutes and show his offensive talents?
I'm not down on Hagel like most people but I wouldn't say that's safe to say.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
There's one element that some players have in abundance and some do not. Hard work and determination can mask it, but if you don't have what is dubbed "hockey IQ" you're gonna struggle. Simply put. If you're not a top end talent given ample time and opportunities to come through and learn the game, you're going to struggle. There's not a whole lot that is sexy about Palats ability with the puck. Decent shot, solid passing, but what is off the charts is his IQ in all types of situations. Along the boards, in his end, neutral zone, in the corner, just about anywhere, he's got it together. Add that with a solid frame and it's no wonder (of course hard work...) he is where he is.

I look at Hagel and see a young player with great skating, solid passing and a peanut between the ears for hockey IQ offensively. He's earning trust with Cooper on the defensive side of the game, which will bode well, but offensively the guy is like one of those air things in front of used car lots that blow around. The wind blows and he loses his balance. He beats someone to the outside and curls back. He still has time to learn those aspects but from what I saw in like half a seasons worth so far from him was not comforting. He is more vanilla and snakebitten than Joseph.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We paid for his offence and cheap contact, but he played well in the shutdown role. People who wanted 20 goals are gonna be disappointed next year. He was a product of Kane, and if we put him with Kuch and Point that line will be too small and not have enough grit to protect themselves

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
We paid for his offence and cheap contact, but he played well in the shutdown role. People who wanted 20 goals are gonna be disappointed next year. He was a product of Kane, and if we put him with Kuch and Point that line will be too small and not have enough grit to protect themselves
He's a third liner (and a good one if he can ever learn to score) with us. He's not top 6 with us.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Placeholder- Stamkos - Placeholder

Insert Cirelli on the second line and you need someone with creativity to help Stamkos. I doubt he replicates his season high again, personally. But in order to make him click without NEEDING to join him with Kucherov, is finding a playmaker. Somebody that can see the ice and set him up because without it, moving Hagel up there is a no-no. Moving Paul (if resigned) up there doesn't do it. He just doesn't have the offensive IQ. He's more of a Palat type in that he makes the play happen but doesn't actually set it up. He retrieves. We really, really need someone to slot in the 2nd line that can see the ice. Someway, somehow...

Reactions: NatoGhost

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
He's a third liner (and a good one if he can ever learn to score) with us. He's not top 6 with us.

Palat - Point - Kucherov

Insert Cirelli on the second line and you need someone with creativity to help Stamkos. I doubt he replicates his season high again, personally. But in order to make him click without NEEDING to join him with Kucherov, is finding a playmaker. Somebody that can see the ice and set him up because without it, moving Hagel up there is a no-no. Moving Paul (if resigned) up there doesn't do it. He just doesn't have the offensive IQ. He's more of a Palat type in that he makes the play happen but doesn't actually set it up. He retrieves. We really, really need someone to slot in the 2nd line that can see the ice. Someway, somehow...
Darren helm…

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

BackLightningBack

May 12, 2022
Hagel replaced a HUGE speed hole when Johnson, Gourde, Colemen, Joseph, etc left. Without Hagels consent pressure chasing pucks, Lightning would've missed that speed even more so. Hagel did a good job of doing what coaches asked of him. Sure, it up would've been nice if he could've scored more, but considering this was his 1sr taste of playoffs. He did OK.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
There's one element that some players have in abundance and some do not. Hard work and determination can mask it, but if you don't have what is dubbed "hockey IQ" you're gonna struggle. Simply put. If you're not a top end talent given ample time and opportunities to come through and learn the game, you're going to struggle. There's not a whole lot that is sexy about Palats ability with the puck. Decent shot, solid passing, but what is off the charts is his IQ in all types of situations. Along the boards, in his end, neutral zone, in the corner, just about anywhere, he's got it together. Add that with a solid frame and it's no wonder (of course hard work...) he is where he is.

I look at Hagel and see a young player with great skating, solid passing and a peanut between the ears for hockey IQ offensively. He's earning trust with Cooper on the defensive side of the game, which will bode well, but offensively the guy is like one of those air things in front of used car lots that blow around. The wind blows and he loses his balance. He beats someone to the outside and curls back. He still has time to learn those aspects but from what I saw in like half a seasons worth so far from him was not comforting. He is more vanilla and snakebitten than Joseph.
He's not a great skater. He's not a good skater. He's not a very good passer. He often loses his balance because he has poor edge control. He hustles his butt off.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
Hawks fans were raving about this guy.

Is he the real deal or was it Patty Kane all along? Guess we’ll know for sure next season, surely he’ll be fully acclimated by then.
Patty Kane made his stats look good. He's a poor skater, stickhandler, passer and shooter. He hustles his butt off.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
1.5m makes it a non issue really. All you have to do is be good enough to stay in the line up and you justify the contract.

He had a slow adjustment period and then broke his foot. He could score 15 next year. A lot of guys take time to adjust after TDL moves.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

I disagree with you. In the Ozone Hagel has good IQ.heads up player in the right spots with good vision and playmaking.

Let's see how a full season pans out.

He's not a great skater. He's not a good skater. He's not a very good passer. He often loses his balance because he has poor edge control. He hustles his butt off.
Again I have to disagree, Hagel is a good passer

Palat - Point - Kucherov

I feel like Paul and stammer would play well together.

For the love of god NO MORE CIRELLI with Stamkos

Reactions: JDBolt

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013

Palat - Point - Kucherov

Like Paul's game but agree with your assessment that he doesn't see the game enough for a top line. Maybe temporarily as a retriever and finisher but there were numerous times he did not see the open man. That's one skill Joseph did have.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad