Brad Marchand - Greatest Contract Of All Time?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Considering his lack of defensive awareness, the Pens are doing him a favour by keeping him financially comfortably employed.
Would probably be in the 2nd round of the playoffs already if Canadian Crosby Media (CCM) propaganda didn't still run rampant.

Woof, we just allowing all sorts of takes now, huh?

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
The rat king now has the most playoff points ever for the Boston Bruins.

all-hail-the-rat-king-v0-utsj6wt9l4xc1.webp
Pretty sure Bourque still holds the record.

Reactions: danisonfire

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
and no one can deny the title of this thread.
Take all the 6 million a year players in the league ..... and then make a list of those better than Marchand. There is no list.

It's difficult to deny your interpretation when you just make stuff up, I agree with that.

Was the thread title "Best current $6 million player", or was it "Greatest contract of all time?" because there's a pretty big difference.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I doubt anyone who played prior to the establishment of the WHA would agree Marchand's contract is the "greatest of all-time".

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Yep, Leafs fan here and he's one of my fav players. If I hate anything it's the fact that he plays for Boston and is making $5M less than Marner and Tavares
Basically the difference between the Marner and Tavares contracts with the Marchand contract is Zach Hyman.....ouch

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Marchand is under a tremendous contract, but Crosby at $8.7M since 2008, spanning two contracts (2008-2013 and 2013-2025), is better.

Not by much, though. Marchand gets underrated, I think. If you prioritize clutch play when it really counts, he's one of the very best players in the game. He rarely shows up in those conversations, though.
The second contract was an absolute bargain, but crosby's 1st contract as a 1st time RFA wasn't any particular bargain.

It was 17.3% of the cap, walking him straight to UFA at only 5 years with a full NMC in the last year. If Crosby was more selfish he could have used that leverage to demand 11 mill+ AAV on his next deal.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
As some others have said, Crosby at 8.7m through his entire career may be even better...

Even at this age, it's a pretty good value. He consistently has gone with the Tom Brady approach and took much less than what he could have to allow the team to build around him. (It's part of what's insulting at this current point of the way the club is managed).

His on-ice impact is apparent, but off the ice may be even more beneficial. He almost single-handedly saved the franchise, revitalized hockey interest in Pittsburgh, and was the face of the league for a while.

He could have demanded the keys to the city and it would have been an underpayment.

Edit: That's not to say Marchand's contract isn't great, but for what Sid provides as a total package it's hard to beat for the $8.7m price tag.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's difficult to deny your interpretation when you just make stuff up, I agree with that.

Was the thread title "Best current $6 million player", or was it "Greatest contract of all time?" because there's a pretty big difference.
go

True. To an extent. But contract has two things. Player and dollar amount.
We can leave it subjective. Eg. Is Crosby contract at 9 mill better than Marchand at six. Then we can debate skill, cups, age.
So I'll say. Marchand at 6 mill a season all these years and still going blows away any contract that is not over 6 million dollar value.
Leading everyone in play offs so far not named McDavid.
Brad owns the leafs.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It’s not even the best contract in the league but it's a good contract for the team.

Sucks for Marchand that he signed as a 60 point player and then immediately broke out right after. He had a career high of 61 points when he signed that contract. Since signing that contract he never had less than 67 points.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Not bad contract. Result in 1 title in 20 years.

If that is the case, what about Mitch”in” Marner, William “don’t cry bro” Nylander, Austin “I can score in the regular season” Matthews and John “I like to wear my Pajamas” Tavares.

How do their contracts match up?

Reactions: bh53

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
At the moment of signing it was he real price. A little bit later he would got much more

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
View attachment 861707

You'd hope that the greatest contract ever would yield better results.

Also, no it isn't, even Bergeron's was better.
Small sample size but this series is probably why it gets a thread.

Marchand makes 6.125,000; he has 8 points.

Marner, Matthews, Reilly and Tavares are a bit over 41 million for a combined 7 points.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Small sample size but this series is probably why it gets a thread.

Marchand makes 6.125,000; he has 8 points.

Marner, Matthews, Reilly and Tavares are a bit over 41 million for a combined 7 points.

Yeah, it never made any sense.

Even if you’re just talking about based on this years sample size - Hyman’s contract is clearly better among active players.

So how can Marchand be the best contract of all time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad