Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm kind of shocked Russo wrote this.

He has good access with both BG and Heydt(Heydt is somewhat routinely quoted or mentioned by Russo. Also had a profile or 3 done over the last decade).

This certainly jeopardizes it.

Maybe Heydt is one of his sources on it to have it on the public sphere if there is retaliation.
Russo's national profile is such that he could get a job in virtually any city that he wants, or, more likely, have more of a national beat.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
For guy who goes on and on about "Team culture", and "the room", what are we to make of this? Sounds like Guerin, and those around him(O'Hearn), make a habit of demeaning people under them.... just like his predecessor.

Leipold needs to get this under control, and fast. I don't know much about him...is he even competent to hire a GM? He seems to be a guy who is willing to pony up $$, and otherwise doesn't publicly undermine his management, which is good, but maybe he ius not the best at assessing people.

It could be that this was a one time situation, and/or Heydt is overly sensitive, but being that both Guerin and O'Hearn were investigated, it sounds like more than that. I would bet that Heydt made this complaint out of desperation, understanding that this action would put his career in jeopardy. I don't see him staying on with the Wild comfortably after this, and what team will rush to hire a guy, rightly or wrongly? Jobs in the NHL are hard to come by- he has probably committed career suicide by his action.

Reactions: DANOZ28

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
understanding that this action would put his career in jeopardy. I don't see him staying on with the Wild comfortably after this, and what team will rush to hire a guy, rightly or wrongly? Jobs in the NHL are hard to come by- he has probably committed career suicide by his action.

Maybe @ThatGuy22 can touch on this, I know for a fact Guerin can't retaliate in any way for this, I don't know if retaliation could result in an entire lawsuit or not though. But if Heydt has to file another HR report with proof that Guerin started treating him different for this, Guerin's gone.

Reactions: BagHead

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Maybe @ThatGuy22 can touch on this, I know for a fact Guerin can't retaliate in any way for this, I don't know if retaliation could result in an entire lawsuit or not though. But if Heydt has to file another HR report with proof that Guerin started treating him different for this, Guerin's gone.
Now that it's in the public sphere, be real tough to do anything until Heydts contract is up.

I mentioned this in the main board thread, but Heydt lived under Fenton.

By the timing of the report, coinciding with the losing streak and Evasons firing. I suspect BG felt the pressure and snapped over somthing under Hyefts purview.

Hyedt, after living under Fenton wanted to get it on record. So it's not repeat.

The Wild, after having Fenton, took it seriously and investigated. But found it was more one off than pervasive harassment.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
For guy who goes on and on about "Team culture", and "the room", what are we to make of this? Sounds like Guerin, and those around him(O'Hearn), make a habit of demeaning people under them.... just like his predecessor.

Leipold needs to get this under control, and fast. I don't know much about him...is he even competent to hire a GM? He seems to be a guy who is willing to pony up $$, and otherwise doesn't publicly undermine his management, which is good, but maybe he ius not the best at assessing people.

It could be that this was a one time situation, and/or Heydt is overly sensitive, but being that both Guerin and O'Hearn were investigated, it sounds like more than that. I would bet that Heydt made this complaint out of desperation, understanding that this action would put his career in jeopardy. I don't see him staying on with the Wild comfortably after this, and what team will rush to hire a guy, rightly or wrongly? Jobs in the NHL are hard to come by- he has probably committed career suicide by his action.
Let's just put it this way...I'm not shocked by the news. He's had a bit of an ego and a temper. One example, look at his very quick and harsh words to Talbot and his agent. There were rumors in Pittsburgh too.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I don't want a tire fire in the front office. We've got a good crop of kids turning the corner with even strong younger blood waiting in the wings. When Parise and Suter's cap hits are finally off the books, this club needs to have its @#$! together. Because that's when we can really create a foundation and build around these kids. I don't want a GM who is not only creating a toxic environment in the front office, but who is also alienating good players that don't fit into his buddy-buddy system. He seems to hold grudges against players who give even the slightest pushback. And I truly believe if faced with a choice, he'd keep Foligno and move Ek...and it terrifies me.

Not to mention that all of this smoke is enough to chase future UFA's away.

It's time to move on. But according to the article, upper management already decided it's not a fireable offense. So Leipold needs to really think long and hard about the direction he wants to go.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Russo's national profile is such that he could get a job in virtually any city that he wants, or, more likely, have more of a national beat.
The story indicates that Bettman, et al, were made aware of the results of the investigation and aren't seeing fit to punish him. So while I don't condone verbal abuse, it wasn't bad enough that anyone thought he did enough to warrant suspension or firing.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
You know Russo loved writing that article. Guerin is a prick and has been condescending and standoffish in nearly every single appearance as GM and he definitely made it clear to Russo that his days of having access are over. I also think Heidt is a regular on Russo & Lapanta’s podcast and a friend

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I don’t know what to think of this team and org right now. I found myself wanting the Wild to win and lose in the same game last night, and I couldn’t care less if they fired BG right now. He certainly doesn’t seem like a guy who leads by example, although we don’t know exactly what was said. To me, it almost looks like he just has everyone around him doing the work to make him look good. What’s Billy doing if O’Hearn was the main contracts guy, and Brackett’s the prospect guy?

Reactions: 57special

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is my shocked Pikachu face.

Fans need to put pressure on Leipold that this is not acceptable and Guerin needs to go yesterday.

Edit: wait O'Hearns situation was separate issue? Not a good look at all for this office.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don’t know what to think of this team and org right now. I found myself wanting the Wild to win and lose in the same game last night, and I couldn’t care less if they fired BG right now. He certainly doesn’t seem like a guy who leads by example, although we don’t know exactly what was said. To me, it almost looks like he just has everyone around him doing the work to make him look good. What’s Billy doing if O’Hearn was the main contracts guy, and Brackett’s the prospect guy?
That’s what you’re supposed to do as a manager? Or should he bring in people that make him look bad? Or is he supposed to do the work himself completely negating the reason you bring in other people?

Y’all blow shit out of proportion.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, even if he was in the right to report it, being on the "right side of history" is cold conciliation for the martyr. I don't know enough about the situation to know if he should have reported Guerin and co., but I've had the suspicion for quite some time now that, how shall I put this, Guerin may not be the best person. In any case, any room with Heydt and Guerin in it will probably be a powder keg unless/until they can have a reasonable discussion.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Oooff...the time I wanted to take a break from the team this type of thing happens -.-

As one of the bigger BG supporters on his moves, there is no excuse for abuse in the workplace. Now, what is the nature of that accusation? Imma wait to read more but I'm not going to "guess" what it is - that seems a bit irresponsible and just clickbaity. But yeah, if there's real verbal abuse, no place on the team for that.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
57 was spot on , nobody would risk career suicide if this wasn't serious. just guessing hedyt will be looking for a settlement since he'll be blackballed from another nhl job.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
57 was spot on , nobody would risk career suicide if this wasn't serious. just guessing hedyt will be looking for a settlement since he'll be blackballed from another nhl job.
I don’t think he will be blackballed. I think Guerin is less respected around the league than people think. All his quarrels have taken a toll on his reputation.

“You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

That’s Billy G

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think he will be blackballed. I think Guerin is less respected around the league than people think. All his quarrels have taken a toll on his reputation.

“You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

That’s Billy G
There's an old phrase, "You don't borrow trouble." Rightly or wrongly, other teams will note that Heydt was part of, if not the instigator(to them) of, a messy situation. There are plenty of guys out there who can do what he does, who have no record of Filing a HR complaint. They'll take them over Heydt, all day long, unless Heydt has a really strong advocate within the organization hiring him.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
One possibility (and there are obv many bc we know next to nothing) could be that Heydt was found culpable in the first investigation and then generated the second investigation both as an emotional response to Guerin's response to that and as a rational decision to maximize his position considering he may never work in professional sports again. Russo indicated there may be a lawsuit.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I thin the occam's razor here is the following.

By the timing of the report, coinciding with the losing streak and Evasons firing. I suspect BG felt the pressure and snapped over somthing under Hyedts purview.

Hyedt, after living under Fenton wanted to get it on record. So it's not repeat thing and creates a paper trail.

The Wild, after having Fenton, took it seriously and investigated. But found it was more one off than pervasive harassment.

In all likelihood, after the investigation was done and and decision made they probably buried the hatchet(even if disingenuous on either part), they work to close together not to have a direct convo about it.

But Heydt slipped to Russo, just for the extra retaliation protection.

Reactions: melinko

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo basically said on the radio that Heydt isn't at work, and doesn't think he will come back.

My theory is that BG got drunk and mixed Heydt up with Heidt, and started yelling at him to , "Backcheck and play with more grit, you little weasel!" repeatedly, throwing in comments about his mother. O'Hearn joined in, then they started throwing shot glasses at him filled with urine, while screaming, "Dance, you WHL pansy scoring leader. Fight me!"

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he even thinks about trading JEEK, he's gone in a New York minute

Trading any of Ek, Boldy, Rossi, Faber, Yurov or Wallstedt would be my walk away moment. Luckily I don't think he will because he won't even trade guys like Zuccarello, Foligno, Johansson, Merrill, or anyone else that actually could be traded no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad