Berube

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
He's not a fit for every team, but if you have the right mix of players that fit his style, you'll have success with him. To put it simply, also not his fault that he's in the job market right now.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
He is a good coach that's good for giving someone a kick in the ass. As other's have said he isn't a fit for every team but if you have the right build you'll have sucess. I wish he was still coach of the Blues.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
He's a great coach who should still be the coach of the Blues IMO, but he will succeed again in this league. Hope he lands in NJ.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not an X’s and O’s guy. But can make adjustments on the fly in the playoffs. More of a motivator. A players coach with tough love.

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If you have a good team that needs to get over the hump I think he's a great motivator. He'll make the guys willing to run through walls for him but if you're not at that stage he's prolly not the right choice.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If you have a good team that needs to get over the hump I think he's a great motivator. He'll make the guys willing to run through walls for him but if you're not at that stage he's prolly not the right choice.
i think you sell chief short. he's an insightful observer and great communicator. this has allowed hm to be good teacher of younger players. But he's demanding and it can at times wear on some of them. i think he's a heckuva coach and would be great fit near everywhere. until in time, like basically all nhl coaches these days, he isn't.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The OP appears to be a Leafs fan, and I think Berube would be a poor fit there unless the organization is committed to becoming less top heavy and investing more in depth. I would say he is a great coach, but would be more successful with the Jets or Devils based on current roster construction.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The OP appears to be a Leafs fan, and I think Berube would be a poor fit there unless the organization is committed to becoming less top heavy and investing more in depth. I would say he is a great coach, but would be more successful with the Jets or Devils based on current roster construction.
i think significant part of appeal to leafs would be that he demands accountability. my sense is that keefe was thought to struggle with that.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
If the Canes and Brind'Amour go their separate ways after being eliminated tonight, a Berube led Hurricanes team could be scary.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If the Canes and Brind'Amour go their separate ways after being eliminated tonight, a Berube led Hurricanes team could be scary.
I don’t see what difference it would make.

That insinuates that the problem with Carolina is the coach and I don’t agree with that. There are a couple areas of their roster they need to fix, and until they do, Berube would have the same results as Rod.

Reactions: The Electrician

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I don’t see what difference it would make.

That insinuates that the problem with Carolina is the coach and I don’t agree with that. There are a couple areas of their roster they need to fix, and until they do, Berube would have the same results as Rod.

Anyone that can eliminate Carolina's tendency to make the point a shooting gallery will help. They've been eliminated for 3-4 years in a row because their quantity approach doesn't work against strong teams.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It's true. Carolina won the xG battle all 6 games. Anderson had an awful series.
Larussa used to say most demoralizing thing for club is if closer blew save, unless club has closer like eckersly in which case they shrug it off as fluke. I think that is what happened (again) to Carolina. It is why we should be reluctant to deal binny, bc he is guy team knows can get it done. If you have rando goalie can win, as Vegas showed last year, but that only works as long as it works. And when it doesn’t Carolina happens.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It's true. Carolina won the xG battle all 6 games. Anderson had an awful series.
Public xGF are specifically broken for Carolina. In most games the inner slot shots and scoring chances were at least even. Moneypuck just really likes it when a team takes a ton of point shots despite that style being actively harmful in the playoffs.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Public xGF are specifically broken for Carolina. In most games the inner slot shots and scoring chances were at least even. Moneypuck just really likes it when a team takes a ton of point shots despite that style being actively harmful in the playoffs.
I wasn't referencing MoneyPuck. I don't tend to look at their info because they don't do a good job accounting for pre-shot movement. E-H does a much better job of this. It's not perfect but it's far from worthless.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Larussa used to say most demoralizing thing for club is if closer blew save, unless club has closer like eckersly in which case they shrug it off as fluke. I think that is what happened (again) to Carolina. It is why we should be reluctant to deal binny, bc he is guy team knows can get it done. If you have rando goalie can win, as Vegas showed last year, but that only works as long as it works. And when it doesn’t Carolina happens.
Oh God, as an Oakland A's fan growing up and living in Oakland in the 70's up, there is SO MUCH I can say about La Russa. This is so tip of the iceberg for him. And you're absolutely right.

Reactions: The Electrician

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad