GDT: Avalanche at Stars (Game 5): Do We Really Have To?

Who plays their final game for the Avalanche tonight?

• Andrew Cogliano

Votes: 57 62.6%
  • Ross Colton

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Jonathan Drouin

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Brandon Duhaime

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Joel Kiviranta

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Nikolai Kovalenko

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Artturi Lehkonen

• Casey Mittelstadt

• player not found

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Zach Parise

Votes: 63 69.2%
  • Mikko Rantanen

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Yakov Trenin

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Miles Wood

• Samuel Girard

• Jack Johnson

Votes: 55 60.4%
  • Caleb Jones

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Josh Manson

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Sean Walker

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Alexandar Georgiev

Votes: 20 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
1715874392266.png

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This was a nice one to get on track a bit but Avs will need to be even better. Honestly, that was a Georgiev-level performance from Oettinger.

I liked seeing Makar being a lot more aggressive. Some good rushes from MacKinnon as well. So hopefully a sign of things to come.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Oh, by the way, since I've been a tad negative here, I should let you all know that the Avs are absolutely coming back to win this. Game 6 will be a traditional Avalanche domination - something like several goals consecutively combined with back to back to back shifts of dominant cycling zone time. Georgie will let in a couple softies but it won't matter. Game 7, the pressure will get to Dallas. Their D will crumble and Oettinger will wilt - our depth players will score and our top guys will add the insurance goals - it won't even be in doubt. Talk in Dallas will be about goaltending and defense wearing down from playing only 5 D all playoffs.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
This was a nice one to get on track a bit but Avs will need to be even better. Honestly, that was a Georgiev-level performance from Oettinger.

I liked seeing Makar being a lot more aggressive. Some good rushes from MacKinnon as well. So hopefully a sign of things to come.
Get to the middle of the ice and get those slot shots and he’s nowhere near the level of goalie everyone thinks he is. Dallas does a great job of forcing players to the outside and protecting his weaknesses. No one would rate Otter if he was facing wide open looks playing behind Edmonton’s D. Other than the consistently elite ones, goalies have a tendency to be more dependent on the fit with the team’s system than people want to admit

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Oh, by the way, since I've been a tad negative here, I should let you all know that the Avs are absolutely coming back to win this. Game 6 will be a traditional Avalanche domination - something like several goals consecutively combined with back to back to back shifts of dominant cycling zone time. Georgie will let in a couple softies but it won't matter. Game 7, the pressure will get to Dallas. Their D will crumble and Oettinger will wilt - our depth players will score and our top guys will add the insurance goals - it won't even be in doubt. Talk in Dallas will be about goaltending and defense wearing down from playing only 5 D all playoffs.
Works for me.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Was it though? Lehk fires a rocket form 15ft, Makar goes top corner through traffic, Mitts got a bounce on a semi broken play, 2nd Makar goal he wants back, 29 fires an uncontested laser right over the pad from 25ft.

The only shit goal Oettinger gave up was the 2nd Makar goal. Got to give the Avs some credit, they found the middle of the ice and made Dallas pay with some quality shots.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Makar needs to realize he has to play like that every god damn night. He's the only challenger to Connor McDavid for best player in the world. F***ing play like it. The Stars had no answer for him last night and he knew it.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Makar needs to realize he has to play like that every god damn night. He's the only challenger to Connor McDavid for best player in the world. F***ing play like it. The Stars had no answer for him last night and he knew it.
Where has this Makar been all season? That’s the player we all know. Don’t know what happened this season but he needs to play like this all the time. He would be receiving his third Norris this year if he did . But some piece of shit bear is winning it instead and is not nearly as good.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Where has this Makar been all season? That’s the player we all know. Don’t know what happened this season but he needs to play like this all the time. He would be receiving his third Norris this year if he did . But some piece of shit bear is winning it instead and is not nearly as good.
Would be shocked if he’s not still fighting that hip injury. A few years ago a story came out about how messed up Kesler’s body was from all the pain killers from his hip injuries. They might be a little more conservative in how they treat guys with them than they were a decade ago but now it’s the playoffs and they need him to go so all bets are off

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Was it though? Lehk fires a rocket form 15ft, Makar goes top corner through traffic, Mitts got a bounce on a semi broken play, 2nd Makar goal he wants back, 29 fires an uncontested laser right over the pad from 25ft.

The only shit goal Oettinger gave up was the 2nd Makar goal. Got to give the Avs some credit, they found the middle of the ice and made Dallas pay with some quality shots.
One thing that I noticed in the comments here (not you in particular) is when the Avs score these goals they are legit, high end plays. When the other teams score the same goals it's on Georgiev. :laugh:

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Maybe getting completely son'd by Wyatt Johnston in game 4 during the PP made him realize he's gotta stop being a p***y. He's gotta realize he's the best player on the team and the team is noticeably better when he is more assertive.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
One thing that I noticed in the comments here (not you in particular) is when the Avs score these goals they are legit, high end plays. When the other teams score the same goals it's on Georgiev. :laugh:
Yeah unfortunately George wasn't giving up those type goals. He was letting in 75mph floaters from 80 ft with no one in front.

I could make the argument that Dallas probably wants the save on 29 as well, but 29 is 29 probably shouldn't give him that much space. I could for sure seeing Avs fans getting on George about that one.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Bro, he's better than MacDavid because he also plays defense. McDavid lives to pad his stats and doesn't want to work hard to win- no heart.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
@Sea Eagles is that you?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The number of shit calls and missed calls by the refs is getting higher by the game.
I really didn't have a problem with last night's reffing. A couple of relatively minor things here and there. I thought the Tanev high stick on Mikko should've been a 4min double minor, as I had thought those were automatic like the DoG penalty (meaning not open to interpretation, puck over glass = automatic penalty; blood drawn on a high stick = automatic double minor). But MacKinnon set a brazen pick that allowed Makar to get free to tie the game at 2.

Lehkonen's "cross check" was very soft, very soft indeed and I think should have been an embellishment as well; but later on Manson got away w/ some work on Seguin.

Ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, I thought the refs let a lot go for both sides last night and I'm good with that. If that's the tone they're going to set, at least they remained relatively consistent all the way through.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad