Available GMs and Coaches

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Id say you dont want to hire a coach for the future when the GM may get decapitated. But Id be up for some interim solution (hired w no commitment beyond this season) even though it is really late to change systems.. and if AEG really wants to ditch Blake I'd doubt he could do much at the deadline. Still an inspired hire might try guys like Turcotte and Thomas that might add a spark.. and put Clarke on PP1 and 1st or 2nd pairing. The talk of JW ... I think he would make a great hire for the org.. dont know if he has the background to be GM but he has the natural leadership would rub off on the org.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Bullshit. Nobody is as big a choker as Todd. Boudreau never got reverse swept. He’s a choker sure, but Todd is on another level.
Ok but I still don’t want him. Four or five consecutive years of being up 3-2 and eventually losing Game 7 on home ice. Plus his overall Game 7 record. They’re both regular season coaches.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I know I am in the minority, But I would like to see what Blake would do on his own. I don't like Robitaille in his role, I wonder why Bergevin had to be brought in, and I would want to know what the direction of the owners was. The big question I would have for Blake is regarding the development of prospects. The team seems to be able to target well in the draft, but its that next step that I question team philosophies and hiring's.

For me Robitaille has to go. I go to games to watch hockey, not dog and pony shows etc. I want to see my team wearing a great jersey, something with color, what we get is black and white with a clown bucket. I will give him credit in he seems to have some pull in recruiting free agents but other then that, I just am not sold on him.

I think Todd for the most part did a good job transitioning the Kings, but I don't know if he has it in him to get us to the next plateau. Someone mentioned the other day about Todd as an assistant, I know it would be a slap in the face to him but I think he would be an All-Star assistant. But in the now its time for a replacement. Since our elder statesmen (Kopi & Drew) can't seem to control the room and there does seem to be the need for a Torts, Sutter, Tocchet style coach that can light a fire or put players in their place. Now Sutter is past his prime, Torts and Tocchet are employed so not sure who that would leave. Berube might be a decent choice.

At this point as an outsider looking in, the coach has either lost the room or does not know how to control the room to bring out its best. Even during the winning streak we were coming out flat, not playing a full 60 etc etc. It is not just a recent thing. I know somethings are out of the coaches hands like a goalie not making a simple stop, a poor timed give away or ill timed penalty and those are issues we have scene. Unfortunately not having a team ready to play, the over reliance on older veterans, the lack of in game adjustments, deployment of certain players has been a constant issue. Change is needed.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I know I am in the minority, But I would like to see what Blake would do on his own. I don't like Robitaille in his role, I wonder why Bergevin had to be brought in, and I would want to know what the direction of the owners was. The big question I would have for Blake is regarding the development of prospects. The team seems to be able to target well in the draft, but its that next step that I question team philosophies and hiring's.

For me Robitaille has to go. I go to games to watch hockey, not dog and pony shows etc. I want to see my team wearing a great jersey, something with color, what we get is black and white with a clown bucket. I will give him credit in he seems to have some pull in recruiting free agents but other then that, I just am not sold on him.

I think Todd for the most part did a good job transitioning the Kings, but I don't know if he has it in him to get us to the next plateau. Someone mentioned the other day about Todd as an assistant, I know it would be a slap in the face to him but I think he would be an All-Star assistant. But in the now its time for a replacement. Since our elder statesmen (Kopi & Drew) can't seem to control the room and there does seem to be the need for a Torts, Sutter, Tocchet style coach that can light a fire or put players in their place. Now Sutter is past his prime, Torts and Tocchet are employed so not sure who that would leave. Berube might be a decent choice.

At this point as an outsider looking in, the coach has either lost the room or does not know how to control the room to bring out its best. Even during the winning streak we were coming out flat, not playing a full 60 etc etc. It is not just a recent thing. I know somethings are out of the coaches hands like a goalie not making a simple stop, a poor timed give away or ill timed penalty and those are issues we have scene. Unfortunately not having a team ready to play, the over reliance on older veterans, the lack of in game adjustments, deployment of certain players has been a constant issue. Change is needed.

What has Blake done in seven years as GM that would give you faith? This is not a defense of Robitaille, but these two guys are locked in together, to blame one of them and not the other just seems a bit off. And the Bergeron boogeyman stuff being thrown around on this board is also way off, many teams bring in former GM's in advisory roles, this conspiracy that Bergevin is pulling the strings is just another "Faber wouldn't sign" conspiracy to lessen the responsibilty on Blake for the disaster that this team currently is. And just to add, the worst decision Blake and Luc made, (to end the rebuild in the summer of 2021) happened 7 months before Bergevin was hired by the team, in fact he was still GM of the Habs at the time.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

This is like the guy dating a stripper who says that she will be faithful & good once she leaves the strip club and gets a job at the local bar. Man, talk about glutton for punishment -- just let it go and move on.

• Haha
Reactions: DoktorJeep

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
what im hatin on is the historical la kings timeline:
after our present banner season in concluded- marco sturm is promoted because todd wants to go to austrailia and spread winning. sturm lasts 2 yrs (incompetent).
its decided our troubles are actually the gm and our BOY rob blake is replaced by marc bergevin because all of this is too much of a mess and he's made his money and just wants to surf. bergevin, over the next 7 yrs destroys the organinzation slowly(like in montreal). another yr is spent is the painful realizition that a soccer team is what luc robitaille has actually wanted and goes about getting mls owners to buy the kings from aeg.

do i have ten years to hang around and watch the slow destruction these incompetent francophones torture a once championship organization to death?
that the question im wondering about.

when one owns a property that infested with destructive insects, fumigation is in order. i hope aeg wakes up soon.

Reactions: tigermask48

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Ok but I still don’t want him. Four or five consecutive years of being up 3-2 and eventually losing Game 7 on home ice. Plus his overall Game 7 record. They’re both regular season coaches.
I don’t want him either. Just saying Todd is on another level. Like Bruce is the volcano god of choking but Todd is GOD god.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
What has Blake done in seven years as GM that would give you faith? This is not a defense of Robitaille, but these two guys are locked in together, to blame one of them and not the other just seems a bit off. And the Bergeron boogeyman stuff being thrown around on this board is also way off, many teams bring in former GM's in advisory roles, this conspiracy that Bergevin is pulling the strings is just another "Faber wouldn't sign" conspiracy to lessen the responsibilty on Blake for the disaster that this team currently is. And just to add, the worst decision Blake and Luc made, (to end the rebuild in the summer of 2021) happened 7 months before Bergevin was hired by the team, in fact he was still GM of the Habs at the time.
Blake came in to a very shitty situation and a very shitty team. ( I say this as I compare that team to the many Flames teams. Too good not to lose for good picks, too bad to be Stanley Cup threats) I love DL but he left the Kings in a hurting state with the one ice product, no prospects to speak of and cap hell.

You can call me on conspiracy theory's because I will agree, that's all I have. I am not in the inner circle, don't have behind the curtain access, maybe you do. I truly don't know who is pulling strings but I can guess it happens above the GM level. I have witness 3 major philosophical changes during Blakes time:

1) Augment the existing team - they are a goal scorer away
- this led to the Kovy signing etc. Now was this Blake's idea or was Blake given orders on how the team should proceed going forward. He was making chicken salad with chicken shit. No cap, no prospects, the Kovy move was outside the box.

2) Team is shitty sell the veterans/ stock the prospect cupboards
- I think Blake did a great job of this. We ended up with of picks and talent. Byfield, Vilardi, Faber, Anderson, Turcotte, Clarke, Spence etc
- on top of that players like Moore, Durzi, Grundstrom, pick that turned into Laffy,
- I think there would be more names on top of this but I believe Blake failed on the development side with hires and philosophies.

3) The Re-tool
- just when all was going well the course changes, Kopi complained, Doughty cried and the next thing is Danny and Arvy are here.
- Is this led by Blake - If so then yes he failed. I just see this as a philosophy pushed down from above (Robitaille/ownership etc). So maybe that thought is blinding me.

Blake was building a team that went from a cap crunched, spinning their tires, overpaid no cap space team to having a great core of prospects to build around before the last philosophical change came in. Right now a D-Core that would include Faber, Clarke, Anderson, Spence, Durzi, and Roy would look insane.

Moving Vilardi hurt - If he was still here to supplement Byfield, Kempe, Moore, Laferriere, Kaliyev, etc, we would have an awesome young team. I think we could add a few more names to the list if the Development team was better and I blame Blake for that mess.

He has also locked up some guys like Kempe, Moore, Anderson to great contracts to help ease some of the crappy contracts like Pederson. (still the worst contract in my mind)

I know you hate Blake, I have no problem with that as he deserves some harsh criticism. Just trying to type out my thoughts as to why I think there was outside interference. (my conspiracy theories as you say). I will probably cling to my theories unless you have proof that this was all Blake's idea and direction. He has made mistakes but I posted a few days ago a comparison of just as bad if not worse mistakes DL made and we still love that guy. I think the hate for Blake has extra fuel do to his playing days,

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Do you think it is a fair critique?
Since its second hand hard to say - but here's a sample

1706301874331.png

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
3) The Re-tool
- just when all was going well the course changes, Kopi complained, Doughty cried and the next thing is Danny and Arvy are here.
- Is this led by Blake - If so then yes he failed. I just see this as a philosophy pushed down from above (Robitaille/ownership etc). So maybe that thought is blinding me.
The grand irony of course, is that by speaking out against the rebuild, Kopi and Doughty ensured that they would be part of a black hole team (at best) for the rest of their careers. If Blake just stayed the course with the rebuild, this team is likely in a much better position to succeed, with more cap space, and key pieces contributing to the NHL roster.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Gallant has a rep of not playing kids either - at least from his stint w NYR. I like the guy I think he's funny.
Yikes if we want our kids to have a shot at some point in their career then nope on this dude. Chief is the only one I'd hire. Proven winner and would prolly kick some a**. But I have no clue who would step in for BLUC. As long as it's not bergivin. Vomit.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Lesson to be learned as painful as it is.....at some point the aging core needs to be jettisoned for picks/young players- is there any record of a team being successful trying to placate vets past their prime? should have been done in 2017....that said even 2021 would have been opportune. Instead Blake gave big money deals to the same aging vets and then new players- whats the cap for Kopi/Doughty/Fiala/PLD? As painful as it is to be maintain a consistent level of competiveness their is a lesson to be learned.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Lesson to be learned as painful as it is.....at some point the aging core needs to be jettisoned for picks/young players- is there any record of a team being successful trying to placate vets past their prime? should have been done in 2017....that said even 2021 would have been opportune. Instead Blake gave big money deals to the same aging vets and then new players- whats the cap for Kopi/Doughty/Fiala/PLD? As painful as it is to be maintain a consistent level of competiveness their is a lesson to be learned.
Not necessarily, the Kings were in a perfect position to ease Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliev or whoever into key roles on the top lines and have them develop into top line players. Then once that happens the young players take over as the veterans show signs of aging and decline.

Look at the Red Wings throughout the 90s and 2000s. When Zetterberg and Datsyuk broke into the NHL they were essentially attached to the hip of Brett Hull and Shanahan until they were ready to succeed and then they mentored in the next generation of Franzen.

Heck Iafallo was brought along that way by Stevens during his rookie year as he played almost exclusively with Brown and Kopitar.

The problem is Blake has made mostly the wrong decisions every step of the way when it comes to development and coaching. He hired a one dimensional coach that over relies on veterans and struggles integrating prospects. He abandoned his plan after his two stars said they didn't like losing. He's given up on numerous young players because his coach refused to adapt his style and work with those players.

The Kings are here because Blake has made the wrong decisions almost every time he was given a choice.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad