ATD Summer Fun - All Time Sports Movies Draft

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've been going back and forth between 2 hockey movies, since BB sent me his list, I'll take the one that he didn't have on his:

Team PTA selects Goon - Hockey
1662128943129.png

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
There are a lot of great choices left in the Other category, this one definitely isn't the best of that group from a film criticism perspective, but it's a personal favorite. Team PTA selects Rounders - Other (Poker)

1662129934698.png

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Do you guys want to vote after the draft is over?

If so, here's my idea for how it would go:
- Everyone sends in their rankings of all 6 teams.
- Put your own team first as a reward.
- Only the Top 3 finishers get announced - this is so subjective anyway, let's not have a last place

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's objectively not a good movie, and is really stupid in parts but I haven't seen many other football movies and it's on a unique topic.

200.gif

Draft Day - American Football

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's objectively not a good movie, and is really stupid in parts but I haven't seen many other football movies and it's on a unique topic.

Draft Day - American Football

Fair review, and if there was ever a topic that suited this board, this is it! I hope someone tries to make another draft based movie in the future.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The plot follows a familiar sports movie storyline too: player gets beaten badly, player quits, player is forced to come back under extreme circumstances, player eventually faces off again with the opponent who initially beat him

This plot structure transcends sport movies to be honest.

I plead the fifth

I have tons of older movies on my list that I just get bogged down and then procrastinate

And there's the mountain of modern content that I try and keep up with

Plead? What do you mean? Unfamiliar with this word used in this context.

Modern content sucks compared to 80s/90s era. It's not nostalgia neither, 60s/70s content were just as good. Something happened to the medium in a bad way.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Plead? What do you mean? Unfamiliar with this word used in this context.

Modern content sucks compared to 80s/90s era. It's not nostalgia neither, 60s/70s content were just as good. Something happened to the medium in a bad way.

Definition of TAKE/PLEAD THE FIFTH

: to refuse to answer questions in a court of law because the answers might be harmful to one or might show that one has committed a crime

I enjoy modern stuff, we'll just agree to disagree

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

I'm not a fan of most of the "main stream" modern content (i.e. if you look at the highest grossing movies of the past decade or something like that), but there's good stuff to be found out there.

It would be nice to see more of those kinds of movies get bigger budgets though (and be profitable). Unfortunately, at the end of the day it all comes down to dollars and cents.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Definition of TAKE/PLEAD THE FIFTH

: to refuse to answer questions in a court of law because the answers might be harmful to one or might show that one has committed a crime

I enjoy modern stuff, we'll just agree to disagree

What confused me was the use of "fifth"; Rocky 5 is notoriously considered the worst of the original series (although I still like it in its own way). I thought you were talking about that.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not a fan of most of the "main stream" modern content (i.e. if you look at the highest grossing movies of the past decade or something like that), but there's good stuff to be found out there.

It would be nice to see more of those kinds of movies get bigger budgets though (and be profitable). Unfortunately, at the end of the day it all comes down to dollars and cents.

I'm sure there's a lot of great lower budget movies. But as you say, the blockbusters suck ass compared to 80s/90s and even 2000s.

It doesn't help that the landscape is filled with countless TV series since the HBO Sopranos/Wire era. It was fun for a while but I'm not watching another TV series again in my life. Takes too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad