News Article: Around the NHL

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, BOG meeting this week in Georgia. Biggest topic is expansion of Seattle. New alignment coming (sounds like Arizona to Central, replaced by Seattle in Pacific). While VGK won't participate in expansion draft (nominally exempt due to agreement when they joined; Foley won't get a portion of the $650m expansion fees), they may be a haven for teams who want to get something for a player rather than lose him to Seattle for nothing. So there could be an interesting influx of talent.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Significant disruption of game. Way more than a hat trick cleanup. Even with a big crew (like 20 folks) out there to clean up, can be up to 5 minutes to get all those stuffed animals. (Then you have to have somewhere to store them until they can be distributed to charities.) Some of those 5-6 foot guys take 2-3 folks just to tip it over the glass.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
FWIW, BOG meeting this week in Georgia. Biggest topic is expansion of Seattle. New alignment coming (sounds like Arizona to Central, replaced by Seattle in Pacific). While VGK won't participate in expansion draft (nominally exempt due to agreement when they joined; Foley won't get a portion of the $650m expansion fees), they may be a haven for teams who want to get something for a player rather than lose him to Seattle for nothing. So there could be an interesting influx of talent.
Why would Vegas be a more attractive dumping ground than other places? Are you referring to the 3 2nd rounders Vegas has in 2020 I think?

Personally, I think teams learned from the Vegas experience and we will see fewer deals and no prospects like Tuch and Theodore given up.

Teams will be like just take a guy and be done with it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There will always be a paranoid GM and/or owner who will demand a deal.

Might be more along the lines of "don't take player X and we'll give you Y"

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Depends if you have the Nexus pass or not. Can vary between 10 minutes & 3 hours. That's in addition to the drive time between cities.
Living on an Island, the closest thing to a land border I have seen would have been the Fruit and Vege or whatever checkpoint it was on the I15 into California, when I was in the US 10 years back.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Living on an Island, the closest thing to a land border I have seen would have been the Fruit and Vege or whatever checkpoint it was on the I15 into California, when I was in the US 10 years back.

It has now moved from Yermo to just over the Primm border in Ivanpah Valley.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well at times our defense has been awful... but I don't think it's yet been 3 players on the ice awful.

DuEjPt-XQAE1mJ5.jpg

Reactions: Nevada Jones

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Mock expansion draft: What the Seattle NHL team might look...

FWIW, Athletic pundits do mock draft of 2021 expansion draft. (Paywall)

VGK won't lose any player in this draft.

That article is more interesting for the GMGM comments on the process. I know journos have nothing better to do at this time of year, but what a wasteful exercise to go through. Teams will make moves before 2021 to prevent losing too much and Seattle is probably going to go the route of focusing on guys in their early to mid 20s. As much as people want to say the rules allow for another competitive team, GMs are going to get smarter. Especially with the exemptions for players with 2 years or less, if I'm a GM unless a guy can contribute to my team at a high level today I'm keeping that guy down until next year to keep him exempt.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Knights in 5th place at the start of this road trip. Seems like everyone in the division got hot after the Knights caught fire. Calgary has more points than the Capitals and only one less point than the Predators. Oilers have won 4 straight and the Ducks are 8-2 in their last 10. Sharks won their last 2.

What happened to this being a weak division?

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad