Around The NHL #13

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Ya think? They have the 3rd oldest roster, but maybe there's astill a championship left in those old legs. The trade is still lopsided, and not in Tampa's favor.
It seems most years people say that about a Tampa trade. Remember they don't need the stars, they always add the best depth and then sign them long term. Can't see how the results can be argued??

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It seems most years people say that about a Tampa trade. Remember they don't need the stars, they always add the best depth and then sign them long term. Can't see how the results can be argued??
Correct, but I think the changing of the guard is about to happen next year.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Teams don't sit players during the season when trading, and if they do it's for a game or two, not for two or three weeks.
Really? I heard about 1 team that is currently doing it right now!
Also you missed the point about them not playing for their team anymore anyways, so what's the point of complaining?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

It works until it doesn't. See Chicago.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
It’s fine for him to think this. It’s right for him to think this. But saying this out loud is a huge mistake:

Sure, but does Jeannot help them win now? By JBB's logic, dozens of average NHL players are worth a first-round pick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sure, but does Jeannot help them win now? By JBB's logic, dozens of average NHL players are worth a first-round pick.
Oh he does help for sure. Guy is an absolute weapon. He CRUSHES defensemen trying to mind their corners. In a seven game series he’s gonna be a big problem for the likes of Reilly and Sandin.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Oh he does help for sure. Guy is an absolute weapon. He CRUSHES defensemen trying to mind their corners. In a seven game series he’s gonna be a big problem for the likes of Reilly and Sandin.

If they make a deep playoff run, the GM will be vindicated. 1st round exit, and he's the goat.

rt

May 13, 2004
Also, he had 24 goals last season and is a former junior captain. He may not score many in the playoffs but he could score a couple of big ones.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’s fine for him to think this. It’s right for him to think this. But saying this out loud is a huge mistake:

I think most everyone knows this. I have no problem with him saying it.

rt

May 13, 2004
There’s zero upside to saying it. If one of those picks turns into an all-star he’ll be infamous for this quote forever. Or if the lightning get swept in the first. Or any other bad outcome. He gains nothing by saying this. Focus on how Jeannot helps. Don’t focus on how the picks don’t. You can be sure any other GM negotiating with him will be reminding him how unimportant picks are.

This was a John Chayka moment. Blab yourself into a worse position for no reason whatsoever.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Me neither, I am sure he was responding to a why did you give up so much question. If you break down the odds of all those picks, he is dead right, chances are slim he gets 2 NHL players out of it and likely not top 6F or top 4D either, just filler at best that will be 3 years away.

As an example, I would rather get a young solid NHL player and parts versus the 30th pick the next 2 years and a mediocre prospect for Chych. I would rather have one high quality piece coming back to us then 3 lottery tickets.

Where Chayka thought he was smarter than everyone else with analytics in how he values players, BA might think his scouting department is superior to others, why he leans for more picks even if they are late first round. Players are so heavily scouted, there aren't many secrets or steals somebody can figure out versus another team. I think there is more luck involved the further from the top 10 you go in the draft as to who becomes a top 6F or top 4D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Me neither, I am sure he was responding to a why did you give up so much question. If you break down the odds of all those picks, he is dead right, chances are slim he gets 2 NHL players out of it and likely not top 6F or top 4D either, just filler at best that will be 3 years away.

As an example, I would rather get a young solid NHL player and parts versus the 30th pick the next 2 years and a mediocre prospect for Chych. I would rather have one high quality piece coming back to us then 3 lottery tickets.

Where Chayka thought he was smarter than everyone else with analytics in how he values players, BA might think his scouting department is superior to others, why he leans for more picks even if they are late first round. Players are so heavily scouted, there aren't many secrets or steals somebody can figure out versus another team. I think there is more luck involved the further from the top 10 you go in the draft as to who becomes a top 6F or top 4D.
I agree. I have never valued picks as high as a proven NHL player. I know you and I disagree about what Chych is worth, but just getting picks for your best young D on a great contract, and arguably your best player is foolish in my mind. BA may think otherwise.:laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree. I have never valued picks as high as a proven NHL player. I know you and I disagree about what Chych is worth, but just getting picks for your best young D on a great contract, and arguably your best player is foolish in my mind. BA may think otherwise.:laugh:
I would rather get a young but not proven potential top 4D or top 2C for Chych. It will be hard to get either of those with late 1sts. I don't care about wingers, dime a dozen, look at Maccelli/Garland/Bunting, they come out of the wood work, like goal tenders.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Was anyone else as surprised as me (I was shocked) to find out this is McDavid's 1st 50 goal season? He's certainly a superstar, but at this stage I'd never label him a winner or leader.

The way he's revered (other than Tortorella) you'd think he has 3 Stanley Cups and four 50 goal seasons.

I'll bet Bedard hits the 50 goal mark sooner and wins a Stanley Cup in less seasons than McDavid (if ever).

:popcorn:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Was anyone else as surprised as me (I was shocked) to find out this is McDavid's 1st 50 goal season? He's certainly a superstar, but at this stage I'd never label him a winner or leader.

The way he's revered (other than Tortorella) you'd think he has 3 Stanley Cups and four 50 goal seasons.

I'll bet Bedard hits the 50 goal mark sooner and wins a Stanley Cup in less seasons than McDavid (if ever).

:popcorn:
McDavid is doing his part.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

Shoutout to Edmonton for mortgaging 2 1sts and Barrie away for Ekholm, you've got the spirit but man is that bad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Shoutout to Edmonton for mortgaging 2 1sts and Barrie away for Ekholm, you've got the spirit but man is that bad.

Why? Those two first's probably won't amount to a hill of beans. Ekholm is a very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad